Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women lifting heavy and gym instructors page 2

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What do you all think of something like Body By Science for learning to lift? JUST starting to look into adding in things other than my own bodyweight and I know very little about this... “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Moocat,
    You could still have them teach correct form with the lighter weights. Then you could do whatever weight you want when you get the form down. You might also try telling them you want to be a Powerlifter not a body builder.

Beklet is offline Junior Member
    We all have the same muscles, they respond in much the same way, ours just don't get as big. Tell him to shove it! (and go learn his job lol)

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a CrossFit box anywhere near you? They'll teach you to lift heavy. Even if you don't take their classes, you could probably get one of the coaches as a trainer.

Moocat is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the replies, I don't have too long on the internet now, I'm ment to be looking after someones dogs (as well as my own cats) so it's cycling between houses through out the day and walking the dogs. I'm not sure if I'll have alot of time online for the next two weeks. I'm going to check out everything people have recomended.

I've just skimmed the thread so far but I'll answer a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    You're Irish and stubborn? No way, that never happens!

What are you trying to do at the gym that the trainers are fighting you on? Is it doing 10 reps, is it doing a lot of weight, or is it doing weight lifting at all? What are they suggesting you do instead.
    I'm far more stubborn than most people here, more so when I know I'm right.
    It's the reps/weight more so the reps. And kind of lifting, I've only been shown afew exercises with dumbbells (I refuse to use anything less than what my cat weights 4kg, I like using the line 'that weighs less than my underweight kitten!') Currently there's alot of bodyweight stuff, I'm doing propper push ups instead of the modified ones I was shown. The bodyweight stuff is grand but the thing is I just love lifting heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    Do you have a CrossFit box anywhere near you? They'll teach you to lift heavy. Even if you don't take their classes, you could probably get one of the coaches as a trainer.
    The nearest crossfit is over an hours drive, a bit difficult to get to when my car isn't on the road anymore. I wouldn't be able to afford one of the trainers either. It sucks being broke.

As for everyone telling him to mind his own bussiness, well it kind of was his bussiness, I've bad knees and a while ago it got a bit worse(couldn't go to the gym) for insurance reasons they asked me to get a letter from the doctor saying I could exercise I had no problem with that. When he(the guy who orginally asked) got the letter he reintroduced leg exersices. Keep in mind alot are bodyweight exercises, it was one I hate that step, it is just really a step, I go up and down stairs alot during the day I don't need go up and down one step in the gym (reps were x20 too!) I said to him about heavy weights and he wrote down 2x2kg(dumbbells) Don't remember much after that, two things I hated on one exercise, but seriously my kitten weighs more than 2kg!

Ok that was a bit more of a rant than I intended. On a bit of a side note I weighted myself today and I lost 2kg in the past few weeks(without really trying hard)

When I've time I'm going to go through everything on this thread, and see will I annoy one of the other gym instructors.

davisgroup is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moocat View Post
    I seem to have at bit of problem when it comes to lifting heavy (kind of even lifting too) I want to lift heavy with about 5-10 reps the gym instuctors don't. Today I said to one of them what I prefer, I don't really remember what he said fully there was something about injuries there, what he said just did not make sense to me and I was slightly stunned, I could only seem to get out single words 'what?, why? how?' It didn't go to well, he got a bit annoied that I kept asking questions and I was getting far too annoied that he wasn't giving any good answers that made sense.

Now I'm kind of stuck, I think most if not all the gym instructors have this kind of attitude where men and women have different exercises, they mix a little but not really. This line of thought seems to be pretty common in this country even among female instructors. I'd hire a personal trainer except I don't have the money(and the guy that I was talking to is one) I'd change gyms but it's a small enough town, there's no other gym to change too. I do need them to show me the proper form too, so I can't really go off and do my own thing, If I did know what to do I wouldn't know how.

I'm not good with words so I'm not too good at arguing but I am fairly intelligent (ninty somethingth percintile rank ) and I've unbelievely stubborn. So what I was going to do is research the hell out of this and basicly throw all that at them. I might get one of them too see the light.

My problem now is where to research, there's so much crap information online I don't know where to look, I'm looking at google scholar, but is there any other sourses I could look. also I've no idea what to type into google scholar to get good information, just trying out a few different things now.

Another thing the bad grammar and spellings would be down to me being dyslexic (missing 'n's from the key being stiff)
    Gyday Mate from Australia;

Mate; couple of quick question:

What do 'you' mean by heavy?

To keep things really easy let me give you a simple example ok?

If you can lift 20kg above your head 5-10 times then I would suggest that this is not 'heavy'...but if you can only lift 20kg above your head 3-4 times; then thats heavy.

Mate; get some of that crazy Irish pumping some heavy weight...dont be scared..dont be intimidated by beautiful gym people or gym staff......

Grab life mate....grab some heavy objects and find out how bloody amazing it is to chuck them around!

Forget high reps and apologising for other peoples ignorance mate....GET INTO IT!

Lift heavy..lift smart....dont apologise for being diferrent...you may well just inspire other women to break free also.

Good stuff CHAMPION!........GO FOR IT.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I have a friend (female) who is seriously into the iron, and she is nudging me (hard! she's strong!) in that direction. She recently sent me these places to start (edited for relevance):

(1) New Rules of Lifting (aka NROL), Lou Schuler. (Stumptuous.com is totally "you go, girl" but lots of good information.) Read NROL and every time he mentions a specific move that you don't know, check it out on YouTube.

(2) The Apollo 13 method (aka convict training). What can you do with the equipment you have? What minimal things can you add and do much more?
    (2a) Consider adding 1. a Body Bar and 2. Chalk, for a better grip (key for small hands).

(3) Rippetoe is supposed to be The Man, and I was looking for his book when I ran across Education of a Bodybuilder. Never found Rippetoe but I'm glad I got the Arnold book. It's a really fast read and the latter part of the book is devoted to working out with very basic equipment, including body weight.

(4) Re pull-ups. Start with negatives.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12