Thread: Problem Eating Veggies page

tdsnelgrove is offline Junior Member

Problem Eating Veggies

I like veggies, but I have a hard time eating them. Anytime I eat them raw it makes me gag. It's not that I don't like the taste, just my body responds in a weird way I guess. I can eat them cooked fine, and if I eat raw ones with dips it seems to be okay. But it just seems weird to me. Does anyone know why this might be happening, and have any solutions on how I can eat raw veggies easier?
    Thanks!
    Talitha

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Sounds kind of like taking a pill without water...

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    this happened to me with carrots when i was younger...and it still does from time to time. i think it has something to do with the texture. only carrots though. slicing the veggies smaller (julienne or shredded) works well for me, as does dipping them in something.

Thespianpythia is offline Junior Member
    Some people get something called "taste aversion" (Taste aversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) when they've consumed a certain food or type of food, and are then sick soon afterwards (especially where nausea is concerned). Their brain then makes the connection between that specific food and the sickness, and so whenever you're exposed to the food afterwards, your body goes into "pre-emptive disgust" mode to prevent you from eating the food (which it now considers to be poisonous). It's actually an evolutionary advantage, kinda neat in a way! Well, except for gagging at foods you intellectually know are perfectly fine for you.

So my question is, do you remember ever having an incident when you were younger, after eating raw veggies, when you were sick or had stomach cramps soon after? It seems the most logical explanation, especially since you can handle them with dips. The bit of your brain that "records" these incidents isn't under your conscious control (it's part of what we call the "limbic system", and is also responsible for phobias, following similar logic, except you can even learn to be phobic of, say, snakes after watching another person being frightened of them, even without a dangerous encounter yourself!), and it doesn't distinguish between foods in quite the same way as the more "thinking" parts of your brain do - it's mostly going by broad visual characteristics, and taste and smell, all of which would be different with cooked or dipped veggies.

Unfortunately, I'm not a doctor (the reason I know this is because I'm a scientist studying other parts of the "not under conscious control" brain) or a psychologist, so I don't know anything much about seeking to overcome taste aversion, but someone else here might know, or you could google "overcoming taste/food aversion", which seemed to give a number of useful hits.
    Last edited by Thespianpythia; 06-17-2011 at 08:32 AM.

marisak is offline Junior Member
    Raw Versus Cooked Carbs (Plant Foods)

There is some interesting reading on this site that is complementary to the paleo way of eating. Since starting to cook my veggies to death (a definite reversal of my usual habits) I have noticed so much more ease and comfort in my digestion. I tend to throw in some tumeric and ginger too, just to keep things flavorful and support digestion as well. I usually cook things in ghee, boil or steam. Pureed veggies are also a great way to assist veg/carb digestion. I find eating Paleo is incredibly healing, and my body starts to sensitize in new ways because it's not trying to operate through the onslaught of anti-nutrients, sludge of bad fats and chemical spikes. Hope that helps.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    For more palatable crudite I blanch the veggies. Bring a stock pot of water to a boil, add a drip of vinegar, quickly par-cook your veggies - carrots, broccoli or broccolini (baby broccoli), cauliflower florets, etc. Drain and plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Add to salads or eat with a dip.

Quote Originally Posted by HillsideGina View Post
    For more palatable crudite I blanch the veggies. Bring a stock pot of water to a boil, add a drip of vinegar, quickly par-cook your veggies - carrots, broccoli or broccolini (baby broccoli), cauliflower florets, etc. Drain and plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Add to salads or eat with a dip.
    +1. You can start with keeping them in the boiling water for 3 minutes, then 2, then work down to 1 minute. (Most blanching is 1-2 minutes).
    My blog, The Overflowing Pantry

Primal-esque since Feb 2010
    100% Primal since May 2011 (again)

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Blanching is the perfect way to soften them up just enough to take out the dry scratchiness without losing flavor or bright color. I also sometimes steam them just a little bit but not enough to cook them through. Works really well with broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, and other flowery greens...

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We had a presentation all about blanching at PrimalCon last April. Chef Rachel, who has a book I think is called The Primal Chef, showed us how and said that blanching actually makes the veggies more nutritious than raw by breaking open the cell membranes. Unlike what I had always thought that you "lost all the good stuff" into the water.