Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alkaline/Acidic Diet and Skin ..? page 2

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I use Lush products when I use anything -- their Angels on my Face cleanser is gently exfoliating when I feel like I need a cleanser. Herbalism is another one that I use very occasionally during oily times of month.

For moisturizer, I use either Lush Exymion (very light and lemony) or grapeseed oil. Or nothing.

Since switching to Lush and going primal, my skin has been more cooperative than ever before -- clear most of the time and neither oily nor dry.

Oh -- another thing -- I've been trying to use no makeup except for my eyes. I never did use foundation, but nixing the powder seems to be beneficial.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

maba is offline Senior Member

Jess, same here. I tried the no-poo thing - baking soda for washing and ACV for conditioning - last week and my hair looked great for a day or 2 and then my scalp became really dry and dandruff-y(sorry- TMI). I was travelling this past weekend. Just couldn't wait to come home and oil my hair and wash it w/ shampoo. Gosh, the dandruff was so embarassing.

I would say I have normal skin, can get a little dry during winter.

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

I concur with Osa007 on both counts, face and hair. Not washing my face at all keeps my skin peachy keen, whereas I spent a long time washing it obsessively or "moisturizing" with orange goo trying to cure my oily or dry skin (both were a problem), and not getting any results.

I also found the less I wash my hair and the less I use conditioner after shampoo, the longer it takes for my hair to get oily.

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Oh, my anti-face washing crusade began before primal if that helps. I honestly think overwashing is the cause of a lot of face issues.

misathemeb is offline Member

i've tried lots of stuff from proactive, prescription topicals, burts etc. my skin is super oily and finally clear (i just turned 27). i use: clinique wash away gel, then their oily skin bar soap and use level 4 toner (it's blue) 1x a day. once a week i use this mask which is the BEST thing my skin has ever seen. it's $38 a jar but it lasts for ages since you only do it 1x/week

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jh...categoryId=B70 it's a sulphur based mask and omg it sucks the oily right out and brightens old red spots. my skin tone is much more even now because of it.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I don't know about acid/alkali, but pre-PB i had those rough skin patches on my upper arms, which vanished with omega 3 supplements. In a similar manner, my now high fat diet means I haven't used body lotion for a couple of months now.

Dairy overload leads to inflamed, reddened, breakouts.

Face-wise, I'm very sensitive and acne prone. I need a balance between "too harsh" and "ineffective". Currently I'm using Aveda - both the range for spots and the sensitive range, mixing and matching as i think/feel. Interestingly, I've gone completely without make up this week and my skin has calmed down and been less oily. But I was only using a smidge of foundation and powder/minerals!

nina_70 Guest

I'm also of the 'less is more' camp. I may just be lucky, but I've found the less I mess w/ both hair and face, the better they are. If I overwash my hair I get bad dandruff and very oily whereas if I let it go more natural and reduce washing to 1-2x/week it seems to "stabilize" itself. For my face, I never wash it other than a small amount of soap after I've worked out.

I actually went for my (only ever) facial a few years back...it was a gift. The woman asked me what my facial regime was and I told her ..."eeermmm, soap and maybe a little cream when it's dry". She was very surprised and said "well, seems to be working for you, but I don't understand why" LOL

EDIT/ I should add...I do take fish-oil too. Don't know if it helps, but it's helped my other inflammation issues

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I try to stick to simple. It's what grok would've used. I wash my face with soap and warm water. I've tried different cleaners and even those seem to "harsh". I'm very pale, redheaded blue-eyed with freckles and I will sunburn in five minutes. So to say I'm sensitive to just about everything should give you a clue about where I'm coming from.

I wash with sappo hill cucumber bar soap. I tone with pure witch hazel or watered down white tea. I moisterise with jojoba oil or coconut oil on roatation. Nothing more. I dab ACV on my acne and that seems to calm down the redness.

I used to use burts bees, but that made my skin too dry. I tried aubrey organics for a while, but that made me too greasy. I tried desert essence before that but then realised I was rubbing parabens on my face. Not good. If it has a list of more than two ingredients, it isn't going on my skin. That goes for more than the face, I only use coconut oil on my body.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

@maba:

When you oil your hair before washing, do you do it with coconut oil? How long do you leave it on before washing it out? Do you use anything else on your hair?

It's so beautiful :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12