Thread: I thought 100% grass-fed beef was naturally "lean" page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

I thought 100% grass-fed beef was naturally "lean"

Primal Fuel
    100% grass fed beef... is there anything greater in the world (aside from bacon)?

I bought 25 lbs. of 75% Lean ground beef from US Wellness Meats. It says it is 100% grass fed (check the FAQ).

it says its "lean" but thats very different then 85-90% which seems to be more typical when it comes to grass-fed beef.

What do you guys think? Would you still call 75/25 lean?

I don't really care... im just curious.

Oh! It has twice as much CLA compared to 85% by the way
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    It's ground beef, probably contains a variety of cuts, and the fat content of the ground beef is largely determined by the amount of extra fatty tissue they throw in with the grinder. This is also true for conventional ground beef.

75/25 definately isn't lean, I would buy it myself though due to lower cost and more calories. Good for stews or such but if making burgers or meatloaf there will be too much shrinkage.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    It's ground beef, probably contains a variety of cuts, and the fat content of the ground beef is largely determined by the amount of extra fatty tissue they throw in with the grinder. This is also true for conventional ground beef.

75/25 definately isn't lean, I would buy it myself though due to lower cost and more calories. Good for stews or such but if making burgers or meatloaf there will be too much shrinkage.
    Good to know. I am also with you. I bought it due to the extra calories and thus much lower cost.

I call it a FANTASTIC substitute for bacon. I LOVE bacon but the nutritional value is poor. 75% lean grass fed ground beef is infinity times healthier than bacon. More vitamins. More minerals. Less sodium. Less omega 6. More CLA.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Lean ground beef is for flavor haters.

And in the case of ground beef *lean* doesn't mean lean. It tells you what percentage is meat and what is fat. 75% lean doesn't mean you've picked up a lean product - it means you've picked up a product that is 3/4 protein and 1/4 fat (simplistic, I know, but that's the gist).

seaclam is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post

Make bigger burgers and enjoy the flavor. Any burger made with less than 20% fat is not worth eating. Fat = Flavor!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Lean ground beef is for flavor haters.

And in the case of ground beef *lean* doesn't mean lean. It tells you what percentage is meat and what is fat. 75% lean doesn't mean you've picked up a lean product - it means you've picked up a product that is 3/4 protein and 1/4 fat (simplistic, I know, but that's the gist).
    Wordsmiths unite
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Yup, I think everyone's nailed it on the ground beef issue.

Grass-fed beef is leaner, but not by that much. The real difference you will see is in the marbling. Hence, it would not be as evident in ground beef as much as a steak (unless you are grinding you own from a single cut, without added trimmings). You will never find a USDA Prime grass-fed steak because it's the grain-feeding that leads to that delicious but deleterious marbling.
    My blog, The Overflowing Pantry

Primal-esque since Feb 2010
    100% Primal since May 2011 (again)