Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Store-bought Sauerkraut page

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member

Store-bought Sauerkraut

I was wondering about store-bought sauerkraut and whether it has probiotics or whether the bacteria have all been killed.

I assume that canned sauerkraut is all pasteurized, but what about jarred and bagged? Are they good to go with all the beneficial bacteria still intact?

And while we're at it, any good brands you can recommend?

KaraPrimalHome is offline Junior Member
    I would say most of the jars you see will be pasteurized. However I have been able to find some really good stuff at my local co-op. If it has live cultures it will say so on the label. It will also be in the refrigerated section. The kind I buy is called "Grateful Harvest Farm" but it may be local only. I live in Oregon.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    Most storebought sauerkraut isn't fermented at all, it's just packaged in vinegar. The only brand I know of that is fermented and isn't pasteurized is the Bubbies brand, you can find it at places like Central Market or Whole Foods in the refrigerated section. It's delicious, I highly recommend it! Their dill pickles are great too, haven't had a chance to try their kim chee yet.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    bubbies also makes a live sauerkraut (as well as lacto-fermented pickles and beet kvass). you will only find the live stuff in the refrigerated section, though not everything that's refrigerated will necessarily be live.

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone. Good enough for me. I'll check the labels, but I wanted an excuse to make my own anyway so it's a win-win.

Growing cabbage this year. Wooooo.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Your local natural foods store will carry some good kraut, like Bubbi's.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I recently came home to a whole head of cabbage in a plastic airtight seal that someone bought from the shops. It was in the shop fridge and it's basically pickled cabbage. Ingrediants read water, salt and cabbage. It tasted sour, proper pickled, is it safe to assume this would provide some good bacteria for me?

This would be great as i can't always make home made sauerkraut, would love to just be able to buy it because i have enough worrying/thinking to do when it comes to food shopping and preparing. Any thoughts? I'm tempted to call the number on the packaging..

weld-by date is offline Junior Member
    OperaDivaMom: "Most storebought sauerkraut isn't fermented at all, it's just packaged in vinegar."
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Not at all true. Even the most inexpensive brands found on ordinary store shelves list their ingredients as "cabbage, water, salt" and are indeed fermented in order to convert the listed ingredients into sauerkraut. Also, federal law requires disclosure of all ingredients, so, it is safe to say that vinegar is not present in those products.

The issue is not whether store-bought sauerkraut is fermented before it is canned or bagged. The question is whether or not some or all of the probiotics in said kraut survive the pasteurization process. Since the process of canning foods predates our knowledge of probiotics, my money isn't on the bugs.

innadoom is offline Member
    n'thing the recommendation for bubbie's. there's always a few other brands at the health food store but way smaller AND more expensive jars. At the regular grocery store I have found one brand of "real" sauerkraut (no vinegar) but it did have a bunch of preservatives. Make sure you look in the refrigerated section not the shelves.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    bubbies also makes a live sauerkraut (as well as lacto-fermented pickles and beet kvass). you will only find the live stuff in the refrigerated section, though not everything that's refrigerated will necessarily be live.
    All Bubbies pickles I have seen to date have vinegar in them. If they were truly fermented they wouldn't need the vinegar.

Agree that their sauerkraut is the real deal though. They say they slightly heat it (for shelf stability) on their website but you can see some of the probiotic goodness at the bottom of the jar, so... It's good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast