Thread: Diverticulitis? page

HTownGirl is offline Senior Member

Diverticulitis?

Shop Now
    My Mom is 75 years old and suffering from many conditions, among them Type II Diabetes, High Cholesterol, Hypertension and the latest, recently diagnosed with Diverticulitis. Her doctor has told her not to eat anything with seeds (like Tomatoes), Onions, Nuts, among other things.

I'm trying to convince her to give up grain, at least for a couple of days, to see if she can at least get some relief, because she is having an attack of it right now.

Have any of you here helped or cured your diverticulitis with Primal or Paleo? My Mom is skeptical of anything that is not what her Doctor tells her to do (and I can understand that to a degree), but if I have some real life stories I can share with her it may convince her to at least get the grain out of her diet.

I asked her what it would hurt if she went off of grains for a couple of days to see if she gets relief (I mean with Diabetes, how bad could that be?), but she is reluctant. Or would just a couple of days even make a difference?

Thanks, I'm interested in your experiences.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Oh weird... my mom is having an attack right now, too. What she needs to do during an attack is bowel rest (liquid diet) and she should take a good quality probiotic + 1,000 mg L-Glutamine on an empty stomach to help heal her gut. She should continue this, whether she is having an attack or not, on a daily basis. Aloe vera juice is supposed to help, too.

My mom is not very open-minded about diet and she did this. If I were near her I would make her homemade bone broth and have her drink that + lots of water, but she won't make bone broth so she is drinking gatorade (she doesn't like coconut water) and her own version of a broth, which is a top ramen seasoning packet and boiling water (no ramen). Whatever... you can only try to make people do so much.

This link has some good info:
    Diet During Diverticulitis Flare Up | Listen To Your Gut

I think a primal diet is really good for digestive disorders. 2 of my siblings had colitis and had their colons removed. I wish I had known about this way of eating long ago... I think it would have helped them.
    Last edited by healthy11; 06-16-2011 at 09:43 PM.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    This one is tough. You can only do so much once diverticulitis exists.

It's true Primal diet will help. You want to reduce inflammation and improve nutrition and immunity all the time. Grains are usually inflammatory and sugars aggravate it, so do lots of things, including milk. It can make you lactose intolerant. Patients have to learn to experiment and eliminate things that bother them the most. This applies to diverticulitis, Crohn's, colitis and IBS in general. Fiber can help sometimes, and others report its a horrible idea.

I had the colitis too, from 1986-91, then had the colon removed and a j-pouch to replace it.

Once there is a diverticulitis flareup, you can do things that help in the short term, like eliminate nuts and things that could get trapped in there. Things like eating Primal take time and wont repair the diverticulitis. Either it heals on it's own, stays the way it is, or surgery is required to cut the section out-a big deal. When it flares up, you need the anti-biotics for sure, or it could get dangerous.

I agree with the aloe vera juice. It's also a very good idea to get some vitamin B and minerals because a flared up colon won't absorb them as well and the person gets fatigued. My favorite from colitis days was Twin Labs Super Rich Yeast Plus. Everyone suggests pro-biotics, but honestly, I could never really tell much difference.

My pouch developed a diverticulitis-like problem in Dec and I've been working with a surgeon to repair it ever since. (it's so odd there is no literature on it, so it was tough for the drs.) I was just there yesterday and got a good report. He did a custom "patch repair" in May and it's healed right, fortunately. I don't think this patch is done for the diverticulitis of the colon, not sure.

I learned about L-glutamine this time and I did notice that it seems to help heal tissue. It's not a bad idea. I also started bringing whey protein isolate and L-glutamine with me to hospital visits (3 since Dec) and I would do that and pass on the horrible, sugar-based soft food diets they bring you. This was good too, but my triglycerides went way up (not the end of the world, I would do it again).

I'm convinced that wheat was the main reason I developed colitis 20 years ago, but can't do anything about that now.

Trying to help someone you know with this is really hard. As healthy11 said, you can only do so much. You can buy stuff for them and bring it, and they try it once and put it away, and think more about what the Dr said. If they had a bad moment, even something you brought them or suggested is suspect.

Gatorade is a HORRIBLE idea. It totally causes the colon to flare up due to the sugar and dyes in it. I was having a procedure this year and my nurse wanted me to prep with Gatorade, and I totally gave her the business back about how stupid that is. I ended up finding some electrolyte called Ultima with almost no sugar at Earth Fare (about like Whole Foods).

Good luck. There is no easy, quick answer to this one.

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    There is a link between gluten and diverticulitis. Check out Robb Wolf episode 40, first question. He talks about people who have put their diverticulitis into remission. He'll give you more stuff to research too. I just listen to that podcast 3 days ago lol.