Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Days into primal,weight hovering. page

Damien is offline Junior Member

5 Days into primal,weight hovering.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello, just thought I would post on here to see if maybe i'm jumping the gun when it comes to weight loss with primal. I was primal for about a month last year and felt great about it,but my weight didn't seem to change much. I've started back up and am really keeping an eye on my carbs. After about 4 days ive averaged about 40 carbs,my protein seems almost twice as much as my fat daily(probably 125g fat to 200g protein). Very little fruit,mixed with sprints,a bit of weight training and light jogging. Im using fitday.com to track everything as closely as possible. Am I just impatient or am I missing a component here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Im 6'0,231lbs.
    Calories fluctuate from 1500 to 2200 daily.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Put away your scales and go by how your clothes fit. And how you feel Welcome!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Here's a good exercise for you.

Get a sledgehammer. Take the scale and the sledgehammer out into the driveway. Swing the sledgehammer a few times to loosen up your arms. Take aim. Slam the sledgehammer down onto the scale. Repeat until the scale is in at least 30 small pieces.

Get a broom and a dustpan. Sweep up the pieces of the scale. Dump them in the garbage can. Put away the broom and dustpan. Continue to swing the sledgehammer for the rest of your workout.

Numbers on the scale are not the point of this way of living. Feeling healthy and being able to do things like smash a scale with a sledgehammer are the point of this way of living.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Damien is offline Junior Member
    I would love to do that however it is my roommates scale,he may need it for something in the future,possibly weighing something. And by not addressing my concerns outright I would say that I probably am following the general line with primal,which is ok with me. I guess I was looking for someone to say "hey,idiot thats wrong,fix this." But since that didnt happen I will leave the scale alone and continue with what ive been doing! Thanks guys!

sooki is offline Junior Member
    I wouldn't sledgehammer the scale, but hiding it out of sight can't hurt (I'm craning my neck right now to spot the scale stuffed under my shelves).

As for your diet... play around with it --- ramp up the fat, sledgehammer the remaining carbs if you can. That's what I've been doing and I'm averaging at least 3000 calories a day without gaining any weight (and yes, I'm a girl, and not as physically active either.) Work with your body and find your own optimal ratio.

norak is offline Senior Member
    There is no point in weighing yourself after 4 days. Weigh yourself and measure your waistline once, then repeat in 4 weeks. If weight has decreased but waist hasn't you have lost muscle, not fat. If it's the other way around (or both are down) you are probably on the right track (assuming fat loss is the goal).

trippplez is offline Member
    Maybe the most logical explanation is the simplest (Occam's razor anyone?).

That is, maybe you are eating too much. There is a rough guide for estimating the calories needed: for a mildly active male, the calories per pound are around 12 (for an active individual: 14-16). That is for a pound of Lean Body Mass, not the total. Guess-timating that you are a 6'0 male, your LBM should to be around 160. Multiply 160 by 12 and you get 1920. So, in order to lose weight, you have to consume less than these calories. And one more thing: since you are counting calories, take the weekly average of the calories consumed, the body doesn't work strictly on a daily basis, so you need the average.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Eat a bit less, relax more, no carbs.

You might be making yourself more hungry with sprints,a bit of weight training and light jogging. Do that stuff after weight starts to move.

Blood chemistry first, exercise second.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trippplez View Post
    Maybe the most logical explanation is the simplest (Occam's razor anyone?).

That is, maybe you are eating too much. There is a rough guide for estimating the calories needed: for a mildly active male, the calories per pound are around 12 (for an active individual: 14-16). That is for a pound of Lean Body Mass, not the total. Guess-timating that you are a 6'0 male, your LBM should to be around 160. Multiply 160 by 12 and you get 1920. So, in order to lose weight, you have to consume less than these calories. And one more thing: since you are counting calories, take the weekly average of the calories consumed, the body doesn't work strictly on a daily basis, so you need the average.
    Those calculations are unreliable. They don't take into account metabolism and hormones. Everyone is different.

trippplez is offline Member
    Of course they are unreliable, that is why I wrote "rough guide". BUT ... it's a repeating trend that people on a new diet underestimate their calorie intake, especially on a diet that "promises" that you don't have to count calories and that you won't feel hungry. Yeah, right. There is a reason why there are so many threads like this in which people are frustrated with the lack of results. It's a well know fact that the more overweight you are, the more you underestimate the amount of the food you eat, even when you are told to track it.

If everyone is so different, we'll be separate species.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast