Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What, if anything, did we get from bread that we should be on the hunt for? page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

What, if anything, did we get from bread that we should be on the hunt for?

My wife is convinced that bread is a necessary component of the human diet. I try to explain that it's just fillers, that whole foods contain better sources of nutrition than bread does, but can anyone at least mention what bread might have provided aside from pain, excess weight, deeper hunger, and inflammation? Thiamine maybe?

I mean, is there anything we do in the Primal diet that's making up for something bread gave us plenty of? I get lots of fiber from my veggies and melons. I just don't know enough about the vitamins.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Nothing that does not exist in edible form in nature can be counted as a necessary part of the human diet. Bread is a human-invented product. We lived just fine for centuries, millennia, even millions of years (however long you think we've been here) without it.

I know she's your wife, but don't let her off easy. Tell her to explain to YOU what is in bread that we can only get from bread. She won't be able to.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    No. The best thing whole grains have going for them is vitamin E. But it's easy enough to get vitamin E from vegetables and nuts. (And especially palm oil.)

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    She has yet to find anything...

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't say that I used to be addicted to bread, but I've always liked sandwiches. Last night I made myself a BLT, and that's all it was, literally, a slice of bacon and sliced tomato wrapped in lettuce. I didn't miss the bread at all, and enjoyed the actual flavors of the fillings. Now that I'm past the mindset that I need bread, it just seems sort of pointless.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Shell is offline Junior Member
    I did a google search yesterday to find out the "benefits of bread." Mostly, I found nothing. Fiber is often listed, but since there is fiber in fruits and veggies, what do we really need grain for? I don't really get it either--funny I was thinking of the same thing myself. From personal experience I can tell you that some years ago I tried the raw diet (I got down to 105 pounds--bad, bad plan ), but I did find that I wasn't sleeping well. I think that grains help us sleep better, and that's also why they are "comfort foods" since they make us feel calm and loved. I told my son this, and he said that steak was his comfort food--a born primal eater!

TomM1026 is offline Junior Member
    Yea it is definitely difficult to convince someone that grains are obsolete. In fact, obsolete isn't really the right word because that implies they ever served a purpose.

Well maybe they served to propel us toward a society which could stay in one place and became more and more sedentary over the years.

But anyway, I remember reading an excerpt from Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" and it mentioned the whole Vitamins thing. Basically it said that eating the whole foods that we here know are healthiest, our body is better able to absorb the vitamins we get from veggies and as such, we don't need all the vitamins in grains.
    My blog - FitandFree.net - Live Healthy. Be Awesome.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think the benefit of grains and bread is that they are a source calories with a long shelf life. Any calories are good enough during a famine.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Grains made western civilization possible, but that is a practical matter, not proof that they are healthy or even necessary. Bread is only a tradition, not a health food.

The Romans loved bread and had bad teeth. The stones they used to grind grain for bread eroded and became part of the bread. Should we file our teeth down too because of tradition?

localad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bread. It was a good matrix for butter. During my 'transition' period (about a year) I used to make a lot of 'one minute' ( egg almond flax) muffins in order to recreate that 'toast' experience with butter, especially with breakfast eggs.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast