Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal pdovers page

pdovers is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal pdovers

Shop Now
    Wow! Just found this site a few days ago. Got the e-book downloaded on my Nook and am about half way through it. I take the train to work so there is plenty of reading time for me.

For me the past 4 years have been akin to finding the right food "religion"....I am looking for the messiah of good eating habits and health and fitness. It's been quite a journey. I am one of those people who ate all kinds of crap for all of my life, was obese, had high blood pressure and was borderline diabetic. However, on top of all of those issues I was always very active, love the outdoors and went camping and hiking all over the country. It seemed like when I hit 50 my abused body said "THAT'S ENOUGH! Treat me right or I am gonna hurt you!" Got the typical take this drug, take that drug treatment from my doctor. Knew that would not be the answer. I've never been one to take anything I didn't have to. So I started researching health and fitness on the web. I found a really cool book (can't even remember the name of if now) that talked about how if you want to be thin and fit you need to do the things that thin and fit people do. That made sense to me since thin and fit people seem to stay that way effortlessly. I started observing. One day I decided to go to this area where I lived at the time (at the beach in South Florida) to walk. I had heard it was full of people who walked, ran, roller bladed and the like. It was amazing and I became inspired. In the next 2 years I went from weighing 275 to 195 (I am 5'11") and went from barely being able to walk 2 miles without having to rest to walking 8 miles on both Saturday and Sunday along with going to the gym 4 days during the week.

Fast forward to 1 year ago. I moved to Dallas and married the most wonderful man alive! (I had been single for 15 years following my divorce.) The move was very good for me in many ways. The adjustment, however, has taken its toll on my fitness level. I now cook for this wonderful man who can eat like a horse and not gain weight. There is no beach to walk. It's hot as hell here in the summer and freezing cold (compared to South Florida) in the winter. In the past year I have gained 25 pounds and my workout time became non-existent. Hubby will not go to the gym with me and "walk to nowhere on a treadmill". I was becoming depressed looking in the mirror and looking in my closet at all of my clothes that no longer fit. So, I said to myself, "self, get off your fat ass and do something, dammit!" So here I am.

Update: started 100% primal yesterday and did not eat anything after dinner. Good thing....I usually snack (albeit heathy snacks - but they too add calories) a few hours after dinner. Had breakfast at 9:00 am this morning. The IF thing makes sense.

First day of trying the IF thing. Last meal was dinner last night and plan to eat nothing until dinner tonight.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

It might be a bit soon for you to be doing 24 hour IFs. I've been primal since the beginning of March and the longest IF I've done is about 16-17 hours.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

IF on Friday worked out great. I am planning to make it an every Friday thing. It wasn't quite 24 hours. It ended up being more like a little over 21 hours since dinner Thursday night was after 8pm and dinner Friday night was 6pm. I felt great all day. No cravings, no dips in blood sugar and when I did eat I did not over-eat. I had a beautiful salad including avocado and a baked chicken breast. We went out for hubby's ice cream (he is good; he eats it in moderation) and I got a scoop of sorbet.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Good luck with Primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

8 weeks grain free! I knew I was intolerant to wheat but what a difference being totally grain free has made. I am having no problems at all with what I thought a few years ago was an intolerance to fats. Once the grains were eliminated fats no longer bother me. I am going in to the next phase of this and going to eliminate fruit until I get down to my goal weight. So from now on it's going to be primal and low carb. I can do this!

Here is my food plan: grass-fed beef, raw cream and butter from grass-fed Jersey cows (God Bless Texas! - it's all close to home), avocados, veggies, veggies and more veggies, big ass spinach and red leaf lettuce salads, pasture raised chicken and free-range eggs, wild caught canned salmon, wild caught sardines, coconut oil for cooking, homemade EVOO and vinegar salad dressing, a few raw almonds for crunchies, and lots of lovely teas with stevia.
    Last edited by pdovers; 08-06-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    Knee deep in the water somewhere got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair. Zack Brown Band

food consumed so far today: 3 hard boiled eggs, tea with cream and stevia, a few bites of turkey breast and 2 red bell pepper sticks....AM hunger satisfied. Have plans to hit the gym on my lunch hour. Really need to CONTROL eating when not hungry...it is especially a problem at night. I'll check in again after the gym to update.
    Knee deep in the water somewhere got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair. Zack Brown Band

Success yesterday.....stayed under 20 grams carbs, did not eat after dinner. Had steak, BAS and broccoli for dinner. Definately in ketosis....have headache, that icky taste in my mouth. Good stuff 'cause I know my body is burning FAT!

Food so far today: 3 hard boiled eggs, tea with cream and stevia. Getting ready to eat leftover steak and salad for lunch. Also brought sardines to work for later.

PrimalCon New York
    Lunch: round steak, salad, brocolli and sardines. It's 4:30 pm and I am not hungry. Headache not as bad as this morning. Ketosis breath...YEAH! I am burning FAT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast