Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do Americans mean by sausage? page

avelin is offline Senior Member

What do Americans mean by sausage?

Shop Now
    It has to be different to the Australian or British sausage which is full of grains, sugars and other fillers.

I'm starting to think you must just mean some kind of meat patty/rissole and it's determined by the kind of meat...

I looked up Bob Evans and that seems to be made with out filers, just meat and spices...
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Digby is offline Senior Member
    It all depends on the type of sausage. Country/breakfast, Italian, pepperoni, and some others are usually meat, fat, spicess. Then are wursts, and beef stick or other firm sausages that have grain and other fillers. But you always have to check the labels. Better quality pork or game sausages normally don't have fillers. I love sausages, especially those made from game meats like venison and wild boar.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    It all depends on the type of sausage. Country/breakfast, Italian, pepperoni, and some others are usually meat, fat, spicess. Then are wursts, and beef stick or other firm sausages that have grain and other fillers. But you always have to check the labels. Better quality pork or game sausages normally don't have fillers. I love sausages, especially those made from game meats like venison and wild boar.
    Yep. I have no trouble finding gluten-free/grain-free sausages out there. Usually they're premium, organic sausages, but I can even find these things at Costco.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Generally, out here, it does have some preservatives and sugar, but no worse than bacon. My local store brand does it right: meat, fat, spices, intestines for tubing.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I've gotten Irish Bangers @ WFM that had the traditional fillers, but for the most part sausage around here means Meat, Fat, Seasoning, and the optional animal intestine if it's a link style sausage.

If I had to guess, I'd say the lack of fillers has more to do with Americans being picky about perceived value. Ie - no fillers = more value. Companies pay attention to stuff like that, but it rarely has anything to do with health reasons.

In fact, over here sausage is pretty much considered one of the farthest things from health-food as you can get (unless you're primal wise and know better).

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    for the most part sausage around here means Meat, Fat, Seasoning, and the optional animal intestine if it's a link style sausage
    Yeah, that's what Americans generally mean when they say sausage. I've considered learning to make my own sausage, once I get an electric meat grinder, so I can make my own out of grass-fed meat.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Darthash is offline Senior Member
    I wish i could find some sausages with only fat, meat, and spices and intestines for the tubing :S but every time i go they say they can not do it without using the filler. grrrr

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    I wish i could find some sausages with only fat, meat, and spices and intestines for the tubing :S but every time i go they say they can not do it without using the filler. grrrr
    Where are you at? And where are you shopping?

Darthash is offline Senior Member
    I live close to northlakes in brisbane, Australia. lol.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Sausage has a very broad meaning here in the States. As others have posted, many do have fillers, but real sausage is also available. I'm partial to bratwurst with no filler cooked on the grill. A bit of heaven on earth. And didn't Grok cook meat over coals?

brahnamin, I almost asked what you meant by WFM. Now that would have been embarrassing. lol. For non-US people out there, Whole Foods Market is a national food market chain that offers many organic and minimally processed products...at a high price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast