Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Study: red meat intake on low-carb diet linked to Type 2 Diabetes risk??? page 3

JoeyA is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Sorry if my post came accross as being aggressive. I know you were trying to help. I even believed some of the false statements in your post when I started down the primal path. I'm not trying to give you slaps here. Just trying to correct misinformation so that other people are not mislead.

I think that you have got a bit mucked up here. Insulin resistance (in a pregnant woman or not) is caused by high levels of glucose in the blood. Gluconeogenesis is the process by which your body manufactures glucose, and it only happens when your glucose levels are too low and your glucose stores in your liver are run down.

You seem to be conflating high blood glucose conditions with low blood glucose conditions. Is that a fair guess on my part?
    Apology accepted.

Might insulin resistance be the cause of higher levels of blood glucose in some cases rather than the other way around?

Prehistoric Pregnancy Booster Now Fuels Diabetes | Wired Science | Wired.com

If you replace baby with brain it would make sense.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Insulin regulates blood glucose levels, so I don't get what "the other way around" could possibly mean. Isn't that a reasonably well established biological 'fact'?

I assume that you are suggesting that there is another causal factor for insulin resistance (i.e. not high blood glucose levels). I think that it's highly plausible that people can have a genetic predisposition to insulin resistance.

What alternate causes are you suggesting? Do you have any links to any studies?

JoeyA is offline Member
    I don't have any studies on hand.

You are suggesting that high blood sugar levels cause insulin resistance.

I'm saying that there is evidence to the contrary in pregnant women (they become insulin resistant to maintain high blood sugar levels). It's a chicken or the egg kind of thing.

I'm suggesting that some forms of insulin resistance can be good.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
    Apology accepted.

Might insulin resistance be the cause of higher levels of blood glucose in some cases rather than the other way around?

Prehistoric Pregnancy Booster Now Fuels Diabetes | Wired Science | Wired.com

If you replace baby with brain it would make sense.
    Physiological insulin resistance at the muscles as such would happen in long term ketosis is a desirable state to preserve glucose for the few places that need it. It however is not the same as the systemic pathological resistance found in people with forms of metabolic syndrome.....biggest difference is that the kind induced by ketosis almost immediately goes away when carbohydrates are reintroduced to the diet. Sorry, didn't get to read your link. Just figured you might be talking in some way about this physiological adaptive response.

JoeyA is offline Member
    I just did some google searches and it seems a few different paleo sites have discussed the same thing.

I'm not sure whether or not this type of insulin resistance is relevant to this paper, but it appears that a few different people believe this is a positive adaptation at low carb levels.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I just did some google searches and it seems a few different paleo sites have discussed the same thing.

I'm not sure whether or not this type of insulin resistance is relevant to this paper, but it appears that a few different people believe this is a positive adaptation at low carb levels.
    Positive....negative.....not really either. The word would be "normal" physiological response.

JoeyA is offline Member
    I'm emphasizing that it's a good thing and not something bad, such as the "usual" insulin resistance, which seems to be a bad thing.

JoeyA is offline Member
    Does anyone see how this type of insulin resistance might be more relevant to animal protein and fat than vegetable oil/protein?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I'm saying that there is evidence to the contrary in pregnant women (they become insulin resistant to maintain high blood sugar levels). It's a chicken or the egg kind of thing.

I'm suggesting that some forms of insulin resistance can be good.
    If that was true then gestational diabetes would confer some sort of benefit to either the mother or the child. But it doesn't. It is an unintended side-effect of the hormonal changes caused by pregnancy.

JoeyA is offline Member
    Did you read the link i provided earlier?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast