Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chronic Hypoglycemia page

nutritionut is offline Member

Chronic Hypoglycemia

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey all, I have been recovering from Candida/gut dysbiosis. I could use some ideas. I'm 5'3", 110 lbs. I've been doing the grain-free, sugar-free life for over a year now. I also avoid nightshades, nuts, onions, chocolate, and fruit.

I was a vegetarian, and I recently started eating bone broth and meat more regularly. I eat plenty of ghee, coconut oil, and macadamia nut oil. I eat until I feel like my stomach can't hold any more food.

I still get FAMISHED a few times a day. I know I have adrenal fatigue, so I have made a point to avoid low blood sugar at all costs, even if it means eating some fruit, which I have been doing during desperate times in recent weeks (bananas, rasperries, pears).

I recently saw a Chinese herbalist who has AMAZING diagnostic abilities. I'm sure skeptics would laugh, but the man can tell me all my symptoms in specific detail by just taking my pulse. He said I have food poisoning and should heat up food before I eat it. I can't always do this when I'm out and about or at work.

I take probiotics on an empty stomach in the morning and night, but I've decided to stop taking them in the morning and just double up at night because you have to wait an hour to eat after taking them. This way I can eat earlier in the morning.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this normal? Is there something I should get checked out? I already spend a lot of time cooking and preparing food for the next day. There are only so many portable foods I can take around, and I find myself rushing home or to the store to find food to tide me over for the next few hours.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Try kombucha for the dysbiosis. It really helps me to digest meat.

How much protein are you getting?

Dragonfly-I'm getting about fifty grams of protein a day.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Do a google search on avocados and hypoglycemia. Aparently there is a seven molecule sugar in avocados that raises your blood sugar while inhibiting insulin production - which is perfect for hypoglycemia. When I feel hypoglycemic I take a blood glucose test to be sure that I really am hypo (because about half the time it is just the adrenal rush that makes me feel hypo but I am really not). If I am actually low according to the test, I eat 1/2-1 avocado. It works wonderfully for me.

It took 4-6 weeks of no sugar and no fruit for my blood sugar lows to really improve. Now they are pretty stable. I can go much longer without eating, and I no longer snack between meals. Its great!

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I'm a huge fan of getting a glucose meter, getting data, and looking for a pattern. This is after passing out several times from reactive hypoglycemia. You may find that the banana or some other sugary item is setting you up for the fall. But you won't know without data. If you can't afford glucose monitoring (the darn strips are about a dollar each) some solid food and symptom journalling might help (though I have found my symptoms only sorta kinda match my actual blood sugar levels).
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Thanks Camel. I eat an avocado every day. Maybe I should eat 2 if need be?

Thanks loafingcactus. I think I might have to look into a glucose monitor. Fruit isn't really a food group for me any more, and I am aiming to not eat it. I don't even crave sugar, but when I'm starving and already all the food I prepared, then I give in. You are right: I should food journal and sleuth it up.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I suggest upping your protein.

I had hypoglycemia, but after going Primal and eating 80-100 gm of protein a day, it gradually disappeared. I weight about 120 now.

I used to be a vegetarian, too and it took some time for me to get used to eating meat every day. Eggs are OK, but I can't eat enough of them to get the protein levels that work for me.

Your body will need time to adjust & renourish itself. Add gelatin and liver to your diet, so you are getting the whole animal.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Kroger has a cheap meter with strips that are about 0.40/each.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Have you talked to your dr about it? There are so many possible causes of hypoglycemia. I hope you feel better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast