Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GrassyLampshade: Tales of a College Cavegirl page

GrassyLampshade: Tales of a College Cavegirl

Primal Fuel
    My Backstory:
    I am a 21 year old college student about to start my senior year. I live and work on campus and I've been working on being Primal since May 6th, 2011. I don't have a scale, but I'm somewhere around 140 pounds. I lost four pounds after my first two weeks paleo and I feel fantastic. I have tons of energy (no more afternoon naps!) and I don't feel bloated and stuffed after every meal. I am really anemic, as of my last testing, and I have a slightly low thyroid number. I'm working to improve those through diet instead of supplements, which make me feel crappy.

Measurements:
    Arm (palmís width below armpit): 12.5
    Waist (right at the crease): 29
    Hip: 39.5
    Thigh (palmís width below crease): 22.75

Diet:
    I have been cheating a lot for the past two weeks. Between finals week and being home with my carb-loving family it has been a struggle. Every time I eat wheat I get insane migraines and a full digestive meltdown. No fun! You'd think I'd get the hint, wouldn't you? I've been eating potatoes again, though not too many, and nibbling carbs here and there. That needs to stop now! Currently I'm cooking/taking care of myself, my dad, and my two younger brothers while my mom is away caring for my grandma. This means I have some control over our meals, but it means that I have to make sure my brothers don't mutiny over all this "new, weird, green food." Currently I eat all kinds of meat, lots of veggies and salad, some dairy, and a little fruit.

Exercise:
    It seriously needs to become a priority. If left to my own devices I'll park my butt on the couch as soon as I wake up, and I'll fall asleep there at night. I used to go running and I was working up to a 5k, but now I'm worried I was in the throes of chronic cardio. I am absolutely what you would call "skinny-fat." Yeah, I'm an average weight for my height, but I couldn't do a pullup or pushup to save my life.

Goals:
    I'd like to slim down a little more, though that's more about inches and less about pounds. I want to be stronger and *whispers* I want to be able to see my abs!

Any tips or encouragement you have would be welcome!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. You seem to be on the right track.

Sprint session once or twice a week. Sprint as hard as you can for 30 seconds (on foot, bike, swimming, whatever) until your tongue hangs out. Recover for 90 seconds moving slowly. Repeat for 8 repetitions total.

Fight the urge to be sedentary. Get up and move at least once an hour.

Do whatever resistance work that you can do intensely, even if it is standing push-ups against the wall.

You can do a 5K without chronic cardio. I trained for a half marathon with a group that trains lots of good runners and walkers. Sprints two times a week, increased distance once a week, some cross training, plenty of rest. You don't need that much distance. Work up to doing more than 5K so it will be a breeze when you do it.

Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for the tips. It all seems totally manageable... I've just gotta do it!

rocknroll is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it nice being able to focus on getting healthy during the summer instead of stressing about classes all the time? Sound like you're on the right track with your diet. If running is what you really enjoy, keep doing it. Just don't run 5k every day. Also download the primal fitness pdf and start doing those.

I'd recommend finding some sort of in-person support group. This will be a major help. Are there any gyms in your town that offer yoga, spinning, zumba, crossfit, kickboxing, karate, anything? Joining a community like that will help you keep on top of being healthy so much.

Out of curiosity, how do you know you lost 4 pounds if you don't own a scale?
    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

I don't have a car, so it's mostly going to be just me, or me and my little brother. I hope I can keep up the motivation! It was nice during the school year because I had a set schedule but now I'm like, meh, lemme check my email before breakfast... and all a sudden it's 2pm!

Oh, the scale wasn't mine, it was the one in the school gym.

*deep breath*

I am cracking down today. I MEAN IT! No cheating today, not even a little bit. And I'm going out for at least a walk, and hopefully some sprints, too.

I'm also taking on the 100 Pushups Challenge and also probably the 100 Squats Challenge for something I can do at home while Discovery Channel is on.

I almost punked out on my walk today, but then my little brother called from school and needed my signature on a permission slip. I wanted to jog down there but oh my god, my sciatica is flaring up right now. I'm 100% positive my back is hurting because I have been so sedentary for the past week. Normally I'm walking all over campus every day instead of parking my butt in front of the computer or TV. No more!

I managed to jog the last little bit on the way home once my back had loosened up, so there's a little win for the day! And I did my benchmark for 100 pushups (hint: it's less than five).

After I take a shower, I think I'll do my "before" pictures.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I'm sure you'll do just fine
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Lunch: Leftover hamburger patty from last night with condiments (yummmmm) and a huge-ass iced london fog with cream. Omg cream I love youuuuu.

Reason I love paleo #1: I have an excuse to drink cream. Now I can tell all the judgers that it's healthy! Muahaha

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassyLampshade View Post
    Lunch: Leftover hamburger patty from last night with condiments (yummmmm) and a huge-ass iced london fog with cream. Omg cream I love youuuuu.

Reason I love paleo #1: I have an excuse to drink cream. Now I can tell all the judgers that it's healthy! Muahaha
    Yep. Sometimes when I start to put it in my coffee, I say what the heck and take a swig. From the carton. I'm the only one who uses it anyway. My housemate is like, "Eeeeeeewwwww, cream!"
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast