Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GrassyLampshade: Tales of a College Cavegirl page 3

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassyLampshade View Post
    Which reminds me, am I alone in the fact that cold things make me hungry/unsatisfied, and hot foods fill me up really fast? This is why you'll never see me eat a bigass salad as a meal. I'll eat the whole damn thing, and ten minutes later be starving again!
    I think most of us throw protein in our BASs. I had salad for dinner, cause it is so hot here. But it included some leftover steak and some cheese. Also, ((mumbles - some cold black beans.))
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassyLampshade View Post
    Win:
    I haven't been cheating at all! I have, after consideration and research, added potatoes back into my diet, but in moderation. A few french fries, a small baked potato, and so on. It adds a lot of yum to my life, and I don't think it'll hurt me too bad.

Mini-win:
    EVERY time I go to the grocery store, I snag at least one of the free chocolate chip cookies from the bakery. I didn't today, even though I really, really wanted to. Woot!

I'll be going to Michigan on Wednesday to help out my Nana. She has had gastric bypass surgery, and is currently recovering from hernia surgery. We'll see how she takes my new transition to Paleo! Also, I took "before" pictures the other day, and I swear, I'm already looking skinnier now that I've cracked down.
    Yay!

I eat potatoes every day. I have great respect for Mark, but smart people like Harris and Jaminet say they are OK.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

I think most of us throw protein in our BASs. I had salad for dinner, cause it is so hot here. But it included some leftover steak and some cheese. Also, ((mumbles - some cold black beans.))
    See, even if I have a huge salad with chicken breast in it, or whatever, I am only as full as if I ate the chicken breast, or maybe a little more. I think it must all be in my head. Also, if I'm hungry and I drink a hot drink (hot cider, tea) I get full. It's craaaaazy! (And annoying, when it's a million degrees outside and I do NOT want to cook.)

I have great respect for Mark, but smart people like Harris and Jaminet say they are OK.
    Plus, I've seen a lot of research around that says that way back when, humans ate a LOT of tubers. And yams are a huge staple of many diets in Africa. Sooo... potatoes=yay!

Back on the bandwagon.

Summary of this summer:
    Went to Michigan
    Tried my best for a little while
    Mom only ever cooks gluten-y foods
    Start slipping
    Went back into full on standard American diet
    Felt like shit 24/7
    Migraines came back, gained back my lost weight, back started hurting again
    Faught to get back on the bandwagon
    Cue a month of misery
    Finally realized I'm gluten intolerant (big time)
    Get back home, and visit doctor for a checkup

But on the bright side, I was told that my blood finally, FINALLY came back normal (I've been diagnosed anemic for six years, and hypothyroid for four) which means that being Primal really did help me, and even falling off the bandwagon for a little while wasn't enough to undo the good effects! My back is still acting up which is most likely a result of being sedentary all summer, rather than diet. I've gotten back on GF foods, and I'm whittling back to Primal, and I'm already feeling better. Less groggy, less grouchy. I'm not nodding off during class any more, thank god!

My plan is to eat right every day, and to track meals for this first week, to make myself accountable. After that, no tracking, just good food.
    In terms of exercise, I plan to do a 4+1 strategy. I have four group fitness classes pencilled in (two spinning, one upper body, one lower body) and then I'm making myself work out one other time. That could be a really hard hike in my mycology or icthyology labs (yay mushrooms and fish!), a walk around downtown, lifting weights at the gym, or whatever. I'm really excited! Also, I'd like to post each day here, if not for you guys to read (crickets chirping) but for myself so I can keep track.

Monday 10/3/11:

Woke up at 5:45 for Spin. After the alarm, I let myself lay there for a slow count of ten before I got up. Some stiffness in back, but less pain than lately. After walking to and from the bathroom my back is already loosening up. Went to Spin class and had an okay workout. I don't really like this new instructor. She plays slow music (Michael Buble and Jason Mraz for Spin? Seriously?) which doesn't keep me motivated. Charles (my workout buddy) and I are thinking of writing an anonymous note and making her a CD of upbeat crazy workout songs. Would that be overstepping our boundaries a little? Not sure, but it would sure make me feel better!

Breakfast:
    -Scramble with mushrooms, sausage, potatoes and onions.
    -Half a carton of whole milk. Mmm milk...
    Wasn't feeling over-full afterwards. Thought about finishing the milk, but I realized I didn't actually want it. Feeling a little tired today, but not as bad as usual. I was up until 11ish yesterday, so that could be the issue.

Lunch:
    Two chicken breasts with a little honey mustard
    Steamed veggies
    A London fog with cream. Mmm...

Dinner:
    Chili cheese fries. Um.. oops? I think they actually might be mostly-paleo, besides the beans? Okay, I'm just making excuses now.
    Last edited by GrassyLampshade; 10-04-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Tuesday 10/4/11

Woke up to go to an upper body weights class and thought it started at 7:15, but it actually starts at 7. Durrr. So, it's the second day and I'm already missing my gym days. Siiiigh.

Breakfast:
    Scramble with sausage, mushrooms, onions, and potatoes! (picked through and avoided most of the egg)
    Half-carton of whole milk

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123