Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GrassyLampshade: Tales of a College Cavegirl page 2

I made some paleo ice cream (ingredients: banana and one tbsp of cream) and I slurped a spoonful for myself. Yum yum yum. I used to drink the little shots of it at restaurants. My parents eventually stopped telling me no. Hehe

Today was a pretty good day paleowise. Ate two burger patties for breakfast and then went on a walk with my little brother. It's about a mile down to the park, then we swung on the swings for a while, and then walked a little secret wooded path back to the house. I learned something new about my neighborhood today! Exciting! My back was definitely sore during the walk again, but I know it's important that I keep walking on it. It's not getting damaged, and I'm not waking up sore, so I'm doing the right thing. When I had a personal trainer my intense back problems completely let up. Exercise: nature's medicine?

Dinner was a big bowl of cottage cheese and some canned peaches. Yum yum. Normally cold food doesn't fill me up, but I think the protein in the cottage cheese did the job.

PrimalDog is offline Junior Member
    Primaldog says:

Make a spreadsheet and keep track of what you are eating. Do it by breaking down as best as you can the amount of carbs, protein, and fat for each thing you eat. Do the spreadsheet to keep track of what you are eating. Often one forgets some things. Keep the carbs to about 300/day.
    - how does one escape living in darkness?
    Primaldog: first understand that Fear is the only darkness..

Considering 150-300g of carbs is insidious weight gain, and more than 300g is in the danger zone (according to Mark), I'm going to hopefully keep it much less than that, under 100g, if all goes to plan. I recorded my food intake for a week on sparkpeople.com and with my personal intake, I can essentially eat whatever I want as long as I avoid grains and potatoes, and I am usually well within 150g. It's a pain in my rear to keep track of my food, since I'm so scatterbrained. Thank you for the advice, though!

Woke up starving to death. Thank god there are leftovers from yesterday's dinner!

Oh, yesterday I ate the last burger patty for lunch, munched some almonds for a snack, and then breakfast for dinner (sausage and fried potatoes with mushrooms and onions).

Today for brunch I'm gonna eat sausage and potatoes again, probably with a hot london fog to keep me full. Which reminds me, am I alone in the fact that cold things make me hungry/unsatisfied, and hot foods fill me up really fast? This is why you'll never see me eat a bigass salad as a meal. I'll eat the whole damn thing, and ten minutes later be starving again!

grouchybastid is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like you're ticking right along, and have the will to make it work. Good luck, and good for you!

One easy way to keep anemia at bay, cook with cast iron. A well-cured cast iron skillet is the best thing in the world for frying eggs and bacon in, and you'll get an iron "supplement" to boot.

Really? Like, a measurable amount of iron? That's awesome! We've got some cast iron from my great-grandmother around here and now I have another reason (besides OMG CAST IRON!!!!) to get my mom to let me use it. Thank you!

grouchybastid is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrassyLampshade View Post
    Really? Like, a measurable amount of iron? That's awesome! We've got some cast iron from my great-grandmother around here and now I have another reason (besides OMG CAST IRON!!!!) to get my mom to let me use it. Thank you!
    Yeah, sometimes an amazing amount. The Journal of the American Dietetic Association did a study a while back and found just about anything cooked in cast iron ups the amount of available iron in the food. The more something is stirred or flipped, the more it increased. Higher acidity had higher amounts, too, but I avoid cooking acid foods in cast iron. Takes the cure right off.

Quote Originally Posted by grouchybastid View Post
    The more something is stirred or flipped, the more it increased.
    Perfect for scrambled eggs! Thanks again for the great tip!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Win:
    I haven't been cheating at all! I have, after consideration and research, added potatoes back into my diet, but in moderation. A few french fries, a small baked potato, and so on. It adds a lot of yum to my life, and I don't think it'll hurt me too bad.

Mini-win:
    EVERY time I go to the grocery store, I snag at least one of the free chocolate chip cookies from the bakery. I didn't today, even though I really, really wanted to. Woot!

I'll be going to Michigan on Wednesday to help out my Nana. She has had gastric bypass surgery, and is currently recovering from hernia surgery. We'll see how she takes my new transition to Paleo! Also, I took "before" pictures the other day, and I swear, I'm already looking skinnier now that I've cracked down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast