Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating a whole watermelon

Eating a whole watermelon

Shop Now
    This is one fruit I actually like, the problem is I eat the whole thing (small-medium) in one sitting. Therefore, I make it a once or twice a week type of thing (I never eat sugar other than that and maintain < 50g of carb everyday).

Is this good or bad? High insulin causes inflammation?

I've been told that there's no reason for a human being to eat watermelon at all. It's just sugar, and from a PB standpoint I imagine the fact that it is a very recent food has a point to. I have used one, cut in half, as a replacement for a birthday cake. Just stuck the candles in it. But not for normal eating.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Enjoy it and don't worry about it.

I had stomach acidic problems caused by too much protein intake and too little vegetables. After eating watermelon, the problem completely went away. Apparently, watermelon and lemons are very high alkaline but the lemons didn't work.

A slice (280g with rind) of watermelon has almost exactly as much sugar as a large banana. Less than a bunch of grapes. Less than a large apple. The problem isn't the sugar content alone, it's the fact that it really doesn't contain any macronutrients you need. That said, I'd eat it and not really care

If Grok was walking along by himself and came across a watermelon, then I can bet you he at the whole thing right then and there. I wouldn't worry about it a consider it a rare treat.

It's not like you're binging on a wheat cake.

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    If Grok was walking along by himself and came across a watermelon, then I can bet you he at the whole thing right then and there. I wouldn't worry about it a consider it a rare treat.
    Absolutely.

Watermelon has a lot going for it. It is not calorically dense: it is 92% water, which makes it very filling on a per-calorie basis. It's also a great source of lycopene, a carotenoid that reduces risk of cancer.

And while it has a high glycemic index, it has a ridiculously low glycemic load of 4. Glycemic load is a lot more relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    +1, but rarely.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Shop Now
    I like the hydration aspect of eating watermelon - can't really beat cold watermelon on a hot day.
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~