Thread: Here to swap howdies page

camelback is offline Junior Member

Here to swap howdies

Primal Fuel
    I am a busy mom of 3 three ages 7,6, & 4. Over a year ago I got sick of the surplus 20 lbs I picked up and the unhealthy lethargic feeling I had 100% of the time and started working out crazy. Got up at 4:45 to run and work out. 6 months later I was so tired I couldn't get through the day and went to a metabolic institute to get tested for hormone and thyroid issues. Came away with a huge bill and the realization i was killing myself for nothing. I stopped working out and running a few months later. Now a few lbs heavier I decided to kick it in gear again. for the past month I have run 3-4 miles a day and have ZERO weight loss to show for it. A friend suggested this site and all I have read in the past hour has rung true. I am ready to Gork-it and forget about skinny and just go healthy!
    Jody
    Last edited by camelback; 06-16-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Strong is the new skinny babe!
    Start hyaaaah

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the site. It truly is wonderful: so much information and so many people willing to be helpful. I'm very much a newbie here myself and have learned so much in the past 10 days.

If you haven't read Mark Sisson's book, The Primal Blueprint, I would very much recommend it. You can get most, if not all, of the info in the book from this site, but the book organizes everything so you can put things you read on here in their proper perspective with ease. (Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Mark or his publisher. lol) btw, the book has a section giving an overview of the daily life of a modern family, contrasting it with Grok's family, and the story of the modern mother has a lot of parallels to your experience with working out.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Jody. Yeah, over-exercise is never going to make you healthy. With 3 children 7, 6 and 4, you are getting plenty of exercise. You are getting the same exercise your grandmothers have gotten for 3 million years. You might add sprints once a week unless you do lots of chasing games. Or you might add yoga or pilates to relax and stretch. Otherwise, get whatever rest you can. Rest is another principle of Primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

nolineon is offline Member
    Welcome to the beginning of the rest of your life.

I agree that exercise isn't the answer but I disagree with the total lack of exercise other than minding three children. Our female ancestors probably spent a good amount of time walking around foraging for food. Kids in tow of course. I feel like hiking/walking should be at the core of the pure "cardio" portion of the fitness program rather than sprints.

I found the "Newbies: Start here" page to be rather intimidating what with all the info. I found myself returning to this page most often when beginning. The visual diagrams were also the easiest for me to understand and implement in my daily life.

The amount of information that is going to be coming at you through this site may seem overwhelming at times but it helped me to stay focused by remembering that each thing I learned was one step closer to a healthier future for not only myself but for the people around me as well.

Good luck!

Gloworm is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome! I'm a busy mom as well. I'm single with a 5 year old and 2 businesses (one just sold! yay!) You're gonna love this! One of my favorite things about this way of eating (WOE) is the endless, calm energy I have. I also used to need, need, need to eat every 2 hours and now I can go a long time without eating. You know as mom, that comes in handy at times. One thing I did was just focus on myself first...not making the family primal. I felt like I needed to nail the principles myself first. The workouts are much easier and less time consuming. Sprints are awesome and I do them at the playground with my son. Actually, I pretty much use all of the playground as a gym. Also, don't use the scale!!! Focus on how you FEEL and HOW YOUR CLOTHES FIT. A lot of people get wrapped up in the poundage. Going primal has dramatically changed the way I feel and look in a relatively short time! Have fun!
    www.ohcrappottytraining.com
    This isn't what I wanted to be when I grew up; a potty trainer.
    I wanted to be a pirate. Well. You know how that goes.