Thread: 2 newb questions page

mcsnick is offline Member

2 newb questions

Primal Fuel
    Ok, first, why are almonds considered okay when they contain Phytic acid?
    (I know this can be reduced by blanching or soaking)

2nd- If someone asks why I don't eat grains, is this a concise, accurate answer? Any improvements?
    I don't eat grains because they spike insulin, which makes your body hold on to fat instead of burning it for fuel. Plus, they aren't easily digested and contain anti-nutrients can can cause inflammation.
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"
    started: 113.5
    current: 109.7
    goal: my only goal right now is to get pregnant... 14 cycles and counting.
    exercise: Body by Science - loving it.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    It's easier to say you're gluten-intolerant and they make you sick. Otherwise people feel you're lecturing them and get defensive. :/
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    It's easier to say you're gluten-intolerant and they make you sick. Otherwise people feel you're lecturing them and get defensive. :/
    +1

Almonds are not perfect, neither is anything else except bacon (joke). But OK in moderation, depending how your body does on them.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Gluten is uniquely bad for you, and for me, it is the most important thing to avoid. Almonds - well, nuts are supposed to be in moderation, anyhow. There is some level of "toxin" in just about any plant food you can name, and there is the whole "hormesis" thing you can read up on, too.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Gloworm is offline Member
    My understanding is that almonds are just "okay". Not great, but not the devil either.
    As far as a concise answer, I quickly learned the hard way to say nothing. People say how great I look and I just say thanks. If they really insist on knowing what I'm doing, I'll tell them but I'm always shocked at the defensiveness they have. People do not want you messing with their grains. Finally, I'll say, look...I've done the research to convince myself, not you...google it. The science is out there.
    Otherwise, I don't broadcast that I don't eat grains (as much as I'd love to..it's been so healing for me). I eat some fat before I leave the house for any events and I just say I'm not hungry. Most people don't even notice. Trust me...you'll never convince them in a concise statement, don't even try.
    www.ohcrappottytraining.com
    This isn't what I wanted to be when I grew up; a potty trainer.
    I wanted to be a pirate. Well. You know how that goes.

mcsnick is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    good point
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"
    started: 113.5
    current: 109.7
    goal: my only goal right now is to get pregnant... 14 cycles and counting.
    exercise: Body by Science - loving it.