Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell Swings - Aerobic or Anaerobic page

brahnamin is offline Senior Member

Kettlebell Swings - Aerobic or Anaerobic

Would kettlebell routines that focus on constant continual movement (*for time*) fall under Aerobic or Anaerobic exercise?

They have me huffing and puffing like aerobics, but leave me sore like lifting.

Honest Disclaimer - I *want* them to be anaerobic because it's an exercise style I'm really into. But I'm doing the whole no-aerobic leptin thing.

If they are aerobic, is it reasonable to work in some truly intense versions as an occasional *sprint replacement* . . .

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    I think it is more like sprint training or Anarobic if you are doing short sets and heavy weight.

Swings and stuff done for long times though would be considered chronic cardio I think.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    Sprint day last week was clean and jerks followed by a car push five times

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Would kettlebell routines that focus on constant continual movement (*for time*) fall under Aerobic or Anaerobic exercise?
    Anaerobic is at the very most 2 minutes. Probably more like 1 minute. With an intensity that leaves you wasted at the end.

Anything longer than 2 minutes has to be mostly aerobic.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    So to keep it anaerobic I need to keep it short. Can speed increase intensity (given that I haven't got the money to increase the weight with new bells?)

albert88en is offline Junior Member
    You can increase intensity by adding weight, reps or both.

Yes more speed will mean more reps in less time so it will be more intense.

Hammermill is offline Member
    Rough guideline:

<90 seconds anaerobic
    >90 seconds aerobic
    Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
    -Paul the Apostle, 1 Cor 6:19-20

Kyle C. is offline Member
    Nope. The energy systems overlap.

Kettlebell swings are going to tax your anaerobic energy systems way more than your aerobic. Your aerobic system will kick in at around 2-3 minutes into the workout, but your anaerobic pathways are still firing very hard. Intensity is what determines the energy system load moreso than duration. Don't get hung up on the time. Doing burpees for 15 minutes will be a very hard anaerobic workout that also taxes your aerobic system.

All systems are in play at all times, it's just a matter of degree.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C. View Post
    Nope. The energy systems overlap.
    [...]
    All systems are in play at all times, it's just a matter of degree.
    That true, but I don't agree with calling any 15 minute workout a "very hard anaerobic workout". It has some anaerobic part, but it's not targeted at it. It's like calling a 1 minute all out sprint an aerobic workout.

The anaerobic metabolism energy contribution curve goes like that (during maximal efforts of these durations):
    5s - 5% (95% muscle stored creatine phosphate)
    25s - 50%
    50s - 70%
    2m - 50%
    4m - 30%
    15m - 15% (85% aerobic metabolism)

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    KB swings ought to build you up to a max HR within a few minutes, right? I'm new to them but I thought they were not "cardio" in Mark's sense of the term. The truth is though, anytime you get your heart rate up, whether that's 5 heavy squats, 50 burpees, or a 5k, you are working out your cardiovascular system, so it sounds like you need a more precise definition of "cardio".
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast