Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free thinking, skepticism and dogmatism page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

It is appalling to see how badly used some terms are, particularly during debates involving emotional people. A look at the comments about Mark's review for the Vegetarian Myth is a good example of it. People calling each other dogmatic and closed minded all over the place.

Here are some definitions:

Free thought:

[quote]

Freethought holds that individuals should neither accept nor reject ideas proposed as truth without recourse to knowledge and reason. Thus, freethinkers strive to build their opinions on the basis of facts, scientific inquiry, and logical principles, independent of any logical fallacies or the intellectually-limiting effects of authority, cognitive bias, conventional wisdom, popular culture, prejudice, sectarianism, tradition, urban legend, and all other dogmatic or otherwise fallacious principles.
    </blockquote>

http://tinyurl.com/ybyuccp

Skepticism:

[quote]

Skepticism is an approach to accepting, rejecting, or suspending judgment on new information that requires the new information to be well supported by argument or evidence.[3] Individuals who proclaim to have a skeptical outlook are frequently called skeptics, often without regard to whether it is philosophical skepticism or empirical skepticism that they profess.[4]
    </blockquote>

http://tinyurl.com/yd3v2m

Dogmatism:

[quote]

Dogma is the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization: it is authoritative and not to be disputed, doubted or diverged from.
    </blockquote>

http://tinyurl.com/yc9xtx9

I think it is important to add that the difference between a fake and a real skeptic is a strong and genuine commitment to finding the truth, regardless of how uncomfortable or counter-intuitive it might be.

A honest pursuit of the truth demands a genuine commitment to weight evidence for or against a given position, deciding accordingly, and remaining open to new evidence that might merit a re-evaluation of the previously addressed claim.

Also, there is a big difference between intelligently questioning an idea, or just throwing random ideas in hope of validating a position commonly seen as silly or false. This is the case with many creationist and evolution "skeptics", for example.

And finally, it is clear to me that not all opinions are "born equal". Every is entitled to an opinion, but that does not mean that all opinions are worthy of respect.

Comments?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

primalclubber is offline Senior Member

Good post. Gotta do your homework or it ends up who yells the loudest.

Geoff is offline Member

Great post, SS. Not to water-down your thoughts or treat them with less than the respect that they deserve, but I think this would qualify as an example of what we most want to avoid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

"I could be arguing in my spare time..."

g2baker is offline Member

Good one Geoff! Sometime things get a little deep here, its nice to see some humor!

Tarlach is offline Member

People need to understand how cognitive dissonance can make it almost impossible to accept new ideas. That is the cause of the problems people have with accepting new, contrary ideas.

We all need to be aware that what we hold at &#39;truth&#39; is not necessarily &#39;fact&#39;.

A good read is - "Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts" Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

bobbylight Guest

lol, monty python is the best.

Osa007 Guest

Thanks, SerialSinner - I find definitions help people with their own &#39;free thought&#39;..it&#39;s become exceptionally helpful for me in many circumstances lately...I work in a bookstore & one definition I like to inform people of is &#39;rogue&#39;...

bobbylight Guest

what is rogue? I honestly am not sure of the exact definition.

Osa007 Guest

Well, maybe you don&#39;t know, but in the book world & political world it&#39;s a splash - a certain lass from Alaska published her autobiography & rather boastingly applies the term &#39;rogue&#39; to herself...anyway:

Definition for rogue

- somebody dishonest: an unscrupulous or dishonest person, especially somebody who is also likable

- somebody mischievous: a mischievously playful person, especially a naughty child

- dangerous solitary animal: a vicious or uncontrolled animal that lives apart from the rest of its herd or group

Encarta World English Dictionary

I don&#39;t want to ruffle feathers - it&#39;s just lately I have been using definitions a lot to dispell idiocy - it&#39;s amazing how people throw around words when they don&#39;t know what they mean!

bobbylight Guest

She must mean this definition:

- dangerous solitary animal: a vicious or uncontrolled animal that lives apart from the rest of its herd or group

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast