Page 62 of 189 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Share a triumph! page 62

Annana is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think what I need to do to fix it is improve my posture. I'm bad for slouching and I think that might have something to do with it.

RobbieC is offline Member
    When I left the Army in 1993, I was as fit as I'd ever been and still weighed in at just a few lbs under 200, and close to 10% body fat.

Shredded knees and 18 subsequent years at a desk job has resulted in my weigth ranging from 245-274 lbs at age 42, regardless of what I tried or how active I was. But along the way I learned some things that I knew worked for me...mostly through my experiences with CrossFit.

I learned that eating clean (mostly Paleo) worked for me. I learned that constantly varied and consistent exercise worked for me. The problem was I hardly ever did both at the same time...I would eat clean sporadically combined with my CrossFitting...start seeing results, and then slack off on the clean eating.

On October 23, I was down to around 245 lbs and feeling better/fitter than I had in a number of years. And then I severely re-injured one of my knees and could barely walk for several weeks. Then my best friend and the best dog in the world died unexpectedly (Great Dane, bloat). I went into a funk, and mourned my pain and my loss with lots of bourbon and bad food.

By Christmas I had gained 25 lbs and was back up to 270 lbs. In January I read the Four Hour Body, gave it a whirl for a month and lost 5 lbs. But I knew eating beans 3x a day and binge eating were not sustainable for me. And then at the end of January, I took the advice of a CrossFit coach and checked out MDA. Read the book in a night and dove in head first on February 1.

Today marks Day 29 of my primal adventure. I'm feeling healthy and lively again. Energy levels are up. My mood is happy and optimistic. I have little doubt that I have found the way of life I've been desperately searching for.

I stepped on a scale this morning for first time in a month and was shocked to see 251.2 pop up on the scale --- a loss of just over 14 lbs in just under a month. And...my next smaller size jeans that I bought back in October when I was "slimmed down" to 245 lbs? They fit (albeit a little bit tight) again.

I have little doubt that I am on my way...and have little doubt that by Christmas of this year, I will be under 200 lbs for the first time in nearly 20 years.
    Last edited by RobbieC; 03-01-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    Way to go Robbie.

I went in another notch on my belt this morning. On my way to a size 30. I can't even remember ever wearing that size.

Did my second straight week of Tabata sprints outdoors. Holy crap they kick your ass! Much harder than on a treadmill. But 20 minutes after finishing the energy level shoots way up and I feel like I'm walking on air this morning. Also, decided to skip breakfast this morning as I wasn't that hungry.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I've been working over the last while to rehab a pretty serious leg injury (broken fibula, sprained ankle, and MCL tear). The knee has been the biggest challenge--bones heal easier than ligaments. Anyhow, I've been doing a lot of squats, both bodyweight and weighted as well as wallballs at Crossfit and so on. The last time I did back squats was in December, but I've been doing overhead squats, snatches, wallballs, and such in between, and I finally deadlifted more than my bodyweight back in January.

Well, yesterday I tested for a new one-rep max for back squats, and I went from 88 pounds to 133 pounds. That's a ridiculous jump, but it makes sense to me considering how much I've worked related movements and how well the knee has progressed. I also attribute some of that to tightening up my eating, since I've been giving my body more of what it needs to heal.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Sean81 is offline Junior Member
    The farthest I had ever run was 2.5 miles when on the basketball team in high school over 12 years ago. And I was forced to do it.

I've been doing the couch to 5k this past month (skipped the first two weeks) and Saturday I ran a 5k through my neighborhood in 27:45. I ran another this morning and clocked in at 26:31.

rkj1969 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe lame - but I actually did 60 sec of plank on my TOES (instead of my knees) - yippee!
    ~Rhonda

"Do or do not do, there is no try" - Yoda

Beastman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj1969 View Post
    Maybe lame - but I actually did 60 sec of plank on my TOES (instead of my knees) - yippee!
    not lame at all, hands or elbows? either way gj!
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    You just didn't define Healthy Whole Grains properly. Many steak recipes refer to cutting "against the grain" when slicing. Therefore beef has grains. If you eat everything on your plate, you have eaten the whole thing. Eating an entire steak is eating healthy whole grains.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastman View Post
    not lame at all, hands or elbows? either way gj!
    Thanks, Beastman!!

Elbows - we do a couple of sets of planks at the end of our kickbox session, where we are on elbows and TOES rocking forward and back - I've never even been able to get up on the toes at all before last night - so I'm pretty stoked!
    ~Rhonda

RobbieC is offline Member
    Today ends 30 days Primal. Total weight lost is 15.7 lbs.

But the big success was that a guy in my office (shared office) brought in 6 dozen homemade cupcakes from his wife who teaches baking at a local cooking school --- and I did not have a single one, though they sat there and tempted me the entire day...
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieC View Post
    Today ends 30 days Primal. Total weight lost is 15.7 lbs.

But the big success was that a guy in my office (shared office) brought in 6 dozen homemade cupcakes from his wife who teaches baking at a local cooking school --- and I did not have a single one, though they sat there and tempted me the entire day...
    Way to go!! Office food is a menace!!
    ~Rhonda