Page 171 of 189 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1887

Thread: Share a triumph! page 171

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    My Dad had scary high level high BP for years around 160-180s.
    Two medications combined brought it down to around 140-150 for many more years.
    One month of strict Primal eating brought it down to 110/65 and has been keeping it there consistently and totally unmedicated.

Dad is 86. I don't want to hear anybody whining about "it's too late for me" or old dogs and new tricks. Grok's Grandpa rocks.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to Paleobird's Dad and the improvements he's seen with his peripheral neuropathy, my sister who also has it is going Primal!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

PrimalJes is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing Paleobird!!! Amazing!
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
    CW:167.4 lbs.
    GW: 143 lbs.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

KKDMB is offline Member
    This is, hands down, one of the most inspiring threads. So, as for me, I haven't lost crazy amounts of weight going Primal/Paleo (unfortunately I dropped it in a very unhealthy, typical SAD CW way)...

But I have been able to go off a medication. One pharmaceutical eliminated and I'm over the freaking moon about it, folks. I have a connective tissue disease, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and I was put on Cymbalta at the beginning of this year for severe nerve pain (assuming it was an inevitable part of EDS). I felt like a zombie for three weeks and eventually adapted to having even worse energy levels than I was already used to but the nerve pain was significantly reduced so I stuck with it. Upon the realization I also have coeliac disease and discovering that nerve pain can also be caused by gluten intolerance I ended up stumbling upon MDA and it has changed my life. I am now almost five months off gluten (and grains, and all that jazz) and I weaned myself off cymbalta about six weeks ago aaaand... drumroll please... the nerve pain hasn't come back!

It's magical. I can't describe the sheer agony that is nerve pain. If you haven't had it, the only way to describe it is by comparing it to having an open flame inside your body. For me it would be a line of fire that traced from my elbow through my fingers or from my hips/glutes to the knee. Or in the feet. Or back. Or whatever. Fire. Inside. Pain beyond description. I was psyched I found a medication that controlled that. I'm thrilled to have the control in my own hands (or really, on my plate with some butter and bacon on top).

I would say that it's a different kind of triumph and definitely not like dropping 60lbs, but (stalking) reading the amazing people that post on this forum made me realize that it's all relative, and we're all kick ass for taking our health into our own hands. I have "triumph" tattooed on the inside of my left wrist, and all this is what its all about.

Grok on. You guys are some serious inspiration.
    Last edited by KKDMB; 06-28-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: grammar
    Live Clean, Love Hard. Or vice versa.

Female! Height: 5'10.5" HW: 161 SW: 135 CW: 124 GW: Whatever number my body wants to be when I'm eating and moving well - trying to get that muscle mass up.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Thanks to Paleobird's Dad and the improvements he's seen with his peripheral neuropathy, my sister who also has it is going Primal!
    Oh, I'm so glad. I'll have to tell Dad about that. Keep me posted on how she's doing.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KKDMB View Post
    This is, hands down, one of the most inspiring threads. So, as for me, I haven't lost crazy amounts of weight going Primal/Paleo (unfortunately I dropped it in a very unhealthy, typical SAD CW way)...

But I have been able to go off a medication. One pharmaceutical eliminated and I'm over the freaking moon about it, folks. I have a connective tissue disease, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and I was put on Cymbalta at the beginning of this year for severe nerve pain (assuming it was an inevitable part of EDS). I felt like a zombie for three weeks and eventually adapted to having even worse energy levels than I was already used to but the nerve pain was significantly reduced so I stuck with it. Upon the realization I also have coeliac disease and discovering that nerve pain can also be caused by gluten intolerance I ended up stumbling upon MDA and it has changed my life. I am now almost five months off gluten (and grains, and all that jazz) and I weaned myself off cymbalta about six weeks ago aaaand... drumroll please... the nerve pain hasn't come back!

It's magical. I can't describe the sheer agony that is nerve pain. If you haven't had it, the only way to describe it is by comparing it to having an open flame inside your body. For me it would be a line of fire that traced from my elbow through my fingers or from my hips/glutes to the knee. Or in the feet. Or back. Or whatever. Fire. Inside. Pain beyond description. I was psyched I found a medication that controlled that. I'm thrilled to have the control in my own hands (or really, on my plate with some butter and bacon on top).

I would say that it's a different kind of triumph and definitely not like dropping 60lbs, but (stalking) reading the amazing people that post on this forum made me realize that it's all relative, and we're all kick ass for taking our health into our own hands. I have "triumph" tattooed on the inside of my left wrist, and all this is what its all about.

Grok on. You guys are some serious inspiration.
    My father described it as feeling like someone was stabbing an icepick along the outside of his leg from knee to the bottom of his foot. He had been ignoring a diagnosis of diabetes for years but that pain finally got his attention and convinced him to give my "crazy diet" a try. The BP control has been a wonderful side benefit. Getting off of medications is so important whenever possible. Dad is so much more alert and has much better balance now.

KKDMB is offline Member
    That is wonderful for your papa, Paleobird! +10000000 for being able to ditch as many pharmaceuticals as possible!
    Live Clean, Love Hard. Or vice versa.

Female! Height: 5'10.5" HW: 161 SW: 135 CW: 124 GW: Whatever number my body wants to be when I'm eating and moving well - trying to get that muscle mass up.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I finally crossed over 50lbs lost. I was sooooo close. I was like .10 away... and then the scale headed upwards. I have noticed that I have a slight gain before a nice drop, but not like the 4.6 lbs in 7 days that I gained (could have been the pina coladas and a few other things, like 3 months worth of 20% in the same week.)

So anyways............ I focused. The last 6 days I have dropped the 4.6, and almost 2 more So I am over 50 now actually
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Anzu is offline Junior Member
    Hit a weight goal today! 130 pounds. 10-15 more to go!

And another small success:

6 weeks into Primal eating, I was running into an issue. Not with the eating plan, but with my own eyes. My eyesight was worsening at a rapid pace, and everything was blurry. Even worse, it was accompanied by terrible headaches that I'd never had before. The minute I went to visit my family in America, I rushed to the eye doctor, begging them for a degenerative test. They did one and said that everything seemed normal, and nothing was out of range.

When I went in for the eye exam, my doctor had me remove my contacts as he tested my eyes. My worsening eyesight was in fact nonexistent -- my eyes had gotten BETTER.

Old prescription at the top, new ones on the bottom.

For those not familiar with the American system, the higher the negative power, the more nearsighted (unable to see far away) you are. My eyes were unchanged for about two years, when in six weeks, my negatives dropped.

Even better, when I told my doctor what I was doing, he congratulated me! He said that sugars from everything (including grains) bloat the lens of your eye, distorting vision. I just found out the hard way, I suppose.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    So that is what I have going on!! I just had an eye exam in January. The contacts worked fine then, but now I have to take them out after just a few hours because things feel off. Come to think of it, I've been getting headaches more frequently as well.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.