Page 150 of 189 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1887

Thread: Share a triumph! page 150

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I visited my doc today. Last summer they checked my thyroid, and found out that my calcitonin level was way too high (40, 5-10 is normal). 3 months later they took blood to check it again, but I forgot about it. Today my doc told me that it is down to 6, and that she never saw such a dramatic improvement with calcitonin levels! She was absolutely amazed and happy for me, because high calcitonin levels can be a sign of thyroid cancer. We didn't talk about it, but just after my first test I switched to primal eating (even before I knew the results of the test).

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakes View Post
    Mama triumphs!

My 2 school age boys had a read-a-thon day at school where everyone was to bring treats to share while they read. My boys chose to take almonds and dried apricots (treats in our house). I told them they could choose to share in what snacks they felt good about eating, and to remember how they felt the last time they had cookies and crackers (achy bellies, super dramatic mood swings) when they made their decisions. I told them it was okay to indulge a little, just don't go overboard. When I picked them up from school, they both told me they had stuck to their own treats! One son had had a few dried cranberries that a friend had brought. For a 6 and 9 year old, that is a Mama TRIUMPH!!

I also heard from my neighbor that the last time my kids were at her house and she offered them snacks, my 3 year old daughter had said, "Yes, but no grains or sugar please!"
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
    I visited my doc today. Last summer they checked my thyroid, and found out that my calcitonin level was way too high (40, 5-10 is normal). 3 months later they took blood to check it again, but I forgot about it. Today my doc told me that it is down to 6, and that she never saw such a dramatic improvement with calcitonin levels! She was absolutely amazed and happy for me, because high calcitonin levels can be a sign of thyroid cancer. We didn't talk about it, but just after my first test I switched to primal eating (even before I knew the results of the test).
    Well, talk about it, for Heaven's sake! You could save someone else's life! Congrats!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

BiggaWhat is offline Member
    I consider this a triumph. Prior to eating dinner, 173 lbs, after eating dinner 179 lbs.

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Woo! I was able to move up today when doing my circuit of the 5 essential elements. Moved up on squats and (shocker!) the overhead press. Hello level 2! This is a big deal for me, since I was at a point where carrying gallons of milk for an extended period of time was a challenge. I think by Tuesday, I'll also be able to complete the recommended two circuits - I was almost there today, I could feel it.

Plus, I took my measurements and I'm still holding steady at two inches down from my waist and now one inch and a quarter off my hips!

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Ran into a friend yesterday that I hadn't seen in a while. I was doing a bit of a social experiment; we haven't really talked much about primal stuff to our friends because we didn't want to be "those people", YKWIM. I figured it might be interesting to see just how much I'd have to lose before it became apparent to anyone else. He was the very first person since I joined the PB brigade to notice. Ninety pounds + down. Took a while for anyone to notice, but damn did it feel good when it happened =).
    Saw his mom a little later (who knows about the PB stuff and is doing more or less the same herself). Usually I'm cozied up in layers of hoodie and flannel, but we'd had some sunny weather and I wasn't quite so bundled up. She said "hey look, you have an hourglass shape!"
    ...turns out I have a waist. Who knew? =D
    Last edited by mixie; 02-03-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    Wait, it took 90+ pounds before they noticed? That's nuts. Get them to go to an optician. Keep up the good work.

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Ha! Thanks =). Yeah, we even had a friend over to dinner one time around the ~75-80lb count. My husband was standing next to me, and the friend looks at him and says something like "holy crap dude, you've lost weight... you look great!" Then he turns to me and says "hey, how's it going?" My husband had lost about... fifteen pounds, LOL.
    Last edited by mixie; 02-03-2012 at 10:18 AM.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

mandabear2010 is offline Senior Member
    I did a MOD WOD at crossfit today... BUT I DID THE FORM PERFECTLY! cant get results without doing the form right!
    Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

justaseeker is offline Senior Member
    OK, I think that I've found the right place to share a small triumph. Small though it may be, I feel really good about it.

Giving up grains and legumes seemed a little daunting to me at first - but I was clear that doing so was exactly what I needed to do so I just took the plunge all the way. I haven't cheated once since the first day - but at first I did miss grains a little. Now, I have discovered just how much I don't miss them any more.

My neighbor is an Arabic woman who is an excellent traditional cook. She loves to give me dishes of her home cooked food and to show me how to prepare them. Many of them have rice as a base. I had explained to her that I don't eat grains anymore but she can be stubborn. All was well until today when she came over unannounced in the afternoon with a yummy smelling dish. There was NO way that I was going to offend her by refusing it. I would rather throw it out than to offend her - and I hate wasting food - especially when given by someone like my neighbor with a family to feed and a small budget. It seemed to me that she was just looking for an excuse to visit, anyway.

So, supper time rolled around. I had a simple meal planned - broiled steak and Normandy style vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots). In pre-primal times, that rice & meat dish she brought over today would have "rounded out" that meal perfectly. It DID look and smell good. So, I thought - I have been running around 70 grams of carbs (on a heavy carb day) to around 20 grams of carbs every day since going primal. Today, before supper I had had less than 10 grams - and I felt great. So, I thought that maybe a small serving of the dish wouldn't hurt.

When the meal was cooked and I got ready to serve myself, I discovered that I was really wanting that steak, the veggies less so - and the rice/meat dish not at all! I didn't even care. I just put it back in the fridge and happily eat my steak and veggies. Now, I have to figure out what to do with the rice/meat dish - but oh, well.

It feels so great to be liberated from carb cravings!