Page 147 of 189 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1887

Thread: Share a triumph! page 147

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    My father has just told me that he and my mother will try to go wheat-free. This is a major success because my mother is the biggest bread lover I know. For her, bread is not just a carrier of other foods but a delicacy (by bread, I mean this, not the fluffy, sweetish stuff that is the "default" kind of bread in many countries). She is able to eat several slices a day just like that, with milk or tea. She has been very healthy all her live, but her blood pressure has been creeping up lately (she can go as far as 160/100). I told her she could try to eliminate cereals, sugar and vegetable oils for 2 weeks and see how it works. And my father, with a host of health problems (nothing serious at the moment, though), will follow suit. I am so happy. Please keep your fingers crossed for them - and for me.
    Thats wonderful! Has she read Wheat Belly? I gave it to my mom as an introduction for her to understand why im eating the way I do. Of all the options, I figured it was the best first choice, since I didnt think that the PB books would really ring a bell for her, and Good Calories Bad Calories was too scientific. I found Wheat Belly to be approachable yet still well-researched with a lot of citations, which she appreciated. She went wheat-free the very next week, and has slowly started becoming more paleo as well.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

mandabear2010 is offline Senior Member
    3 weeks-11lbs... 8 inches all over. WOOHOO!
    Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Thats wonderful! Has she read Wheat Belly?
    No, she hasn't. Her English is not good enough to read such a book, I am afraid. In fact, I have yet to read it myself. But I might translate some selected passages for her to convince her. She is not convinced at all now, but she sees my progress and is willing to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    No, she hasn't. Her English is not good enough to read such a book, I am afraid. In fact, I have yet to read it myself. But I might translate some selected passages for her to convince her. She is not convinced at all now, but she sees my progress and is willing to give it a try.
    Fair enough. At the very least, there are some success stories in there from the author's own observation in his practice (hes a doctor) that are amazing and I think are totally worth a look
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Corvidae--Wheat Belly... could you give me a synopsis? I can google it too I suppose-but I love hearing people's opinions. I might get it for MY mom... she is very adament against anything primal but I think it is all a bit too detailed...
    Live Like No One Else

emiluen is offline Junior Member
    For the first time since I was 16 I went to the doctor and had perfect blood values! Have been anemic since I became a teenager and have always been prescribed iron supplements after every doctor's visit and now I have been eating primal for six month and all my values are perfect, no sign of anemia! "Apparently you're doing something right so keep doing what you're doing"

Quote Originally Posted by mandabear2010 View Post
    Corvidae--Wheat Belly... could you give me a synopsis? I can google it too I suppose-but I love hearing people's opinions. I might get it for MY mom... she is very adament against anything primal but I think it is all a bit too detailed...
    So just like Good Calories Bad Calories is this huge rundown of why so much of nutrition science is wrong, where it went wrong, where its going now that people are rethinking paradigms, etc, Wheat Belly is a rundown of the science and policy specifically relating to wheat. He talks about how most of the wheat we eat today is a mutant form of wheat that was only developed 40 years ago or so, and while that sounds like baseless fearmongering he cites studies showing that there are proteins in this new form of wheat that didnt exist in its predecessor, and new forms of gluten protein. he makes the argument that these "natural" components of the wheat are causing a cascade of problems even worse than the original grain (which he points out had its slew of problems as well). He himself is a doctor, and he talks about anecdotes from his own practice of people cutting out wheat (not all grains, just wheat) and the astounding improvements they made.

The book cites a lot of research, but is very approachable. Things are explained in clear language, and he even makes an effort to throw in cheezy humor when he can (perhaps too much, but thats just my opinion ) Its an enjoyable read and, even though it doesnt specifically endorse paleo and primal, it is an important resource that helps in our understanding of what proper human nutrition should look like.

The author, Dr William Davis, also runs a blog where he posts new stories, research articles, updates, etc: Wheat Belly | Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight

AWESOME! thank you!
    Live Like No One Else

vontrapp is offline Junior Member
    Since going low carb and then primal the past 4 months, my food shopping bill has decreased so much that I was able to purchase a new Sony HDTV!!! Oh and I lost about 35lbs but that's not important ;-)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    since going low carb and then primal the past 4 months, my food shopping bill has decreased so much that i was able to purchase a new sony hdtv!!! Oh and i lost about 35lbs but that's not important ;-)
    that is awesome!!!
    Live Like No One Else