Page 134 of 189 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1887

Thread: Share a triumph! page 134

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by healthseekerKate View Post
    Well, good luck! I know how those treats can creep into your lifestyle... a little bit once in awhile turns into a little bit every day. Dang Halloween fun-size bars got me into the habit of having "a little something sweet" on most days in the past week. :P Thinking about doing 100% primal just to get that sugar out of my system.
    I'm also thinking I might have a leptin issue still. Does IF help with leptin resistance? I don't want to do the whole goddamn protocol with 'kruise. Too much work and my 11 month old doesn't go to bed until late.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Does IF help with leptin resistance?
    I've read that Kruse advises those who are leptin-resistant not to IF; but then he simultaneously gives the advice, "only eat when you're hungry"... Assuming that a person IFs only when they aren't hungry (at least for most of the fast), I don't see how these 2 pieces of advice from him are consistent with each other.

Here are Dr. Kruse's leptin reset rules for meal timing:
    MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse

A. Never snack at all. This is meant initially and forever. Snacking completely stresses the liver’s metabolism and is just not recommended. Your liver needs to re-learn how to use gluconeogenesis normally again when you are asleep and awake. Snacking just destroys the timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin.
    B. Try to eat three meals a day initially; but as your hunger and cravings fade you can adapt to two a day.
    C. Try to eat breakfast as early as possible from rising.
    D. Do not work out before or after breakfast.
    E. Try to allow 4-5 hours between dinners and sleep time.

Quote Originally Posted by healthseekerKate View Post
    I've read that Kruse advises those who are leptin-resistant not to IF; but then he simultaneously gives the advice, "only eat when you're hungry"... Assuming that a person IFs only when they aren't hungry (at least for most of the fast), I don't see how these 2 pieces of advice from him are consistent with each other.

Here are Dr. Kruse's leptin reset rules for meal timing:
    MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse

A. Never snack at all. This is meant initially and forever. Snacking completely stresses the liver’s metabolism and is just not recommended. Your liver needs to re-learn how to use gluconeogenesis normally again when you are asleep and awake. Snacking just destroys the timing and circadian clocks that work in unison with Leptin.
    B. Try to eat three meals a day initially; but as your hunger and cravings fade you can adapt to two a day.
    C. Try to eat breakfast as early as possible from rising.
    D. Do not work out before or after breakfast.
    is the only part I don't do. I don't want to wake up at 4:30 either haha. No point.

I can certainly try this because I'm already at 2 meals a day.

Edit: upon further investigation, I think my protein shake and coconut yogurt is making me fat (10g of sugar per serving. I had 3 yesterday!)
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 11-10-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    Follow me on google+

La.C is offline Member
    I have a success. I've really only been doing this for about a week and I haven't been super strict. However, I am never hungry, and haven't snacked all week. And I have lost 4 pounds since last week.

Back story. I have yo-yo dieted for the past 10 years. Every time I lose weight I am in a constant state of starvation. I have tried all kinds of alternative diets and nothing has worked and I always "relapse" and gain a ton of weight. So far, so good. I am very pleased with feeling full all the time. And when I am hungry I don't feel like a raving lunatic, I just feel hungry.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I have a success. I've really only been doing this for about a week and I haven't been super strict. However, I am never hungry, and haven't snacked all week. And I have lost 4 pounds since last week.
    awesome, congrats! Keep up the good work!

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I have a head cold. I was bending over to fill up the water dishes for the various animals, which does not feel good with a stuffy head. So I squatted. And then I realized, I totally squatted! and I just sat like that for a good minute. When I first started, 7 months and 30 pounds ago, I tried to do the "grok squat" and promptly fell on my butt, there was just too much gut and junk in my trunk to be able to comfortably squat. I don't have the total heels-to-the-ground squat down yet, but I'm getting close.

I was also out today (still with the head cold, so not feeling 100%), doing some geocaching with a big group of people, and there was a significant amount of climbing and crawling, and I was able to easily keep up and do it all without even being winded. And now I have to go throw my Vibrams in the wash after creeping through some serious mud (we found the cache, though, so it was totally worth it!).
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
    I have a head cold. I was bending over to fill up the water dishes for the various animals, which does not feel good with a stuffy head. So I squatted. And then I realized, I totally squatted! and I just sat like that for a good minute. When I first started, 7 months and 30 pounds ago, I tried to do the "grok squat" and promptly fell on my butt, there was just too much gut and junk in my trunk to be able to comfortably squat. I don't have the total heels-to-the-ground squat down yet, but I'm getting close.
    Ive been gaining (not *re*gaining, gaining for the first time in my life) flexibility in my hips and legs for the last....oh, almost three or four years now. Ive only been primal 5 months and I definitely think some of my greatest improvements have been during this time.

However I am still not able to do the heels-on-the-ground squat either. Better, but not there yet. If anyone has any suggestions on ways to really work on this move in particular, I too would love to hear it.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    If you've tried to quit sugar more than twice, and failed, you're probably not ready to IF. Dr. Kruse likes IF'ing a lot once you're Leptin sensitive, and when you're doing the leptin reset, the deal is, eat the big protein breakfast, then over a few weeks, you'll start not feeling hungry for lunch, so skip that when you're ready. If you start feeling not hungry for dinner, too, it's time to back the protein down on the breakfast till you hit a balance. Once you're leptin sensitive, he advises IF lunch and/or dinner, not breakfast.

HTH! For those of us who are still iffy with sugar, IF'ing too often leads after a few days to big indulgences.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    If you've tried to quit sugar more than twice, and failed, you're probably not ready to IF. Dr. Kruse likes IF'ing a lot once you're Leptin sensitive, and when you're doing the leptin reset, the deal is, eat the big protein breakfast, then over a few weeks, you'll start not feeling hungry for lunch, so skip that when you're ready. If you start feeling not hungry for dinner, too, it's time to back the protein down on the breakfast till you hit a balance. Once you're leptin sensitive, he advises IF lunch and/or dinner, not breakfast.

HTH! For those of us who are still iffy with sugar, IF'ing too often leads after a few days to big indulgences.
    I found the opposite true, Once I fasted I felt a lot better. I dropped the amount of protein I've eaten at breakfast to 3/2 eggs and I make it pretty much the whole day without feeling hungry. It's when I reintroduced the grains back in that I felt that "fake hunger" that everyone feels.

I finally broke through my weight wall and am almost below 200lbs. I'm just gonna do my feedings within an 8/10 hour period from now on.

I don't think I'm LR, it might just be that I was eating too many calories and snacking. I was eating clean. Only a couple pieces of bread/cookies here and there. Not to mention I only gained 2 pounds and it held still (which means I was maintaining my body weight for a whole 2 weeks.)
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 11-11-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Follow me on google+

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I haven't legitimately deadlifted in 18 months. It's been even longer since I deadlifted with a straight bar, having preferred trap bar deadlifts in the past. Sure, I still exercised the lower back using the bodyweight gymnastics principles I used over that time period (e.g., press headstands), but never did anything in the way of weights.

I go to an LA Fitness today to use a guest pass and I end up pulling 260, which is very close (if not at) my max from when I stopped deadlifting 18 months ago. Win...
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal