Thread: Questions regarding the Primal Blueprint shopping list page

linuxguy0481 is offline Member

Questions regarding the Primal Blueprint shopping list

Primal Fuel
    I will make my way to the grocery store next week. I also own Primal Eating Quick and Easy meals cookbook. I will like to utilize this cookbook extensively. I really don't want to keep going back to the grocery store when I use the cookbook.

I need to know how much I will spend at the grocery store and how much food I need to cover two weeks and a month. I never have done this kind of shopping before. I'm a completely newbie to this kind of shopping. I

By the way I will just be shopping for myself. I told my pregnant wife about this change of eating and how will it be better for us. But she knocked it down stating there are not enough calories for her and the baby. But that's whole other matter. I just wanted to state that it will just me eating this healthier food. Not her.

We usually spend $150 dollars at the grocery store this has been our average cost.

I hope someone here can help me out with this. Thank you

croí is offline Senior Member
    How often do you go grocery shopping? Once a week / Every two weeks?

Pick out a couple of recipes that you want to try first. What ever you don't have (i.e. spices, veggies, ect..) right on the shopping list. Depending on what you still need to get will depend on your grocery bill. For my 6 year old and I, we average around $65/70 per week. We buy enough meat (steak, chicken, pork, bacon) to last us the week. And enough veggies (mostly frozen, but check that the ingridents are only veggies and nothing else) to go with almost every meal. We buy a carton of eggs every week. Really it just depends on how much you buy. When I first started out it was a bit more expensive because I had to buy spices (didn't cook before going Primal), and that got a bit pricey. But once I was set with the spices, the bill stayed about the same, but I was not going through the drive thu anymore. And THAT really saved me some money!
    Last edited by croí; 06-16-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumnrose View Post
    A woman does need more calories when she's pregnant...but the range is 200 to 300 calories if I'm remembering correctly. A healthy diet usually means a healthier pregnancy, less complications during delivery and an easier time regaining your pre-pregnancy body.
    Been there, done that.....seven times over

I shop biweekly and spend about $150 to $200 for 9 people. I make additional trips during the week for fresh produce and meat....probably $25 a trip.
    I like to make a menu for the week and work with what's on sale that week.
    You must live in bumfuck nowhere because I live in a pretty average city and I spend close to 100 a week just for ME. And I'm frugal!

Nion is offline Senior Member
    WHERE do you live?!
    I spend like $200 a fortnight for 2 adults and a cat, and i am extremely frugal too and cook everything!
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

I wish I was cool enough to use the word fortnight un-ironically.

Sadly, I'm just way too fucking american.

croí is offline Senior Member
    The way I read it, she makes additional trips through out the 2 weeks for meat and produce. About $25 per trip in addition to what she's already spending. So, that can be $400+ every 2 weeks...
    Last edited by croí; 06-16-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spell check

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    When I first started out it was a bit more expensive because I had to buy spices (didn't cook before going Primal), and that got a bit pricey.
    Hot tip on spices: stay away from the aisle that has spices in jars. Look for spices in bags. Sometimes they're around the produce section. Sometimes they're in the ethnic food aisle. Or, you may have the good fortune to have a store that sells spices in bulk, or an international or ethnic market. ALL of these are sources of spices that are exponentially cheaper than buying in jars at the grocery store. I now use all my old jars from the grocery store and refill them with spices bought cheap from these various other sources. Bulk spices are even the one thing that's a bargain at Whole Foods!
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    Hot tip on spices: stay away from the aisle that has spices in jars. Look for spices in bags. Sometimes they're around the produce section. Sometimes they're in the ethnic food aisle. Or, you may have the good fortune to have a store that sells spices in bulk, or an international or ethnic market. ALL of these are sources of spices that are exponentially cheaper than buying in jars at the grocery store. I now use all my old jars from the grocery store and refill them with spices bought cheap from these various other sources. Bulk spices are even the one thing that's a bargain at Whole Foods!
    I just go to the mexican aisle and buy the Badia brand spices for 70% cheaper than mccormik or publix brand.

Seriously, a damn pound of cinnamon for $3.50? Okay!