Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just so confused.... page

btownshreds is offline Senior Member

just so confused....

Shop Now
    ive been reading facts and begginer stuff, but im still not getting something..

being primal is sticking exactly that....PRIMAL. why would some people on here say primal may not be for me? so stick to CW and eat grains?

in a nut shell i wanna know this...if im out can i stop by a mcdonalds and eat a double burger with bacon no bun and a salad? does everything i eat HAVE to be grass fed or bought from an organic store? not all of us have the luxury of buying from expensive markets.....

this is how ive been eating:

breakfast- eggs, sausage, cheese, bacon, avacado

snacks- fruit, apple, orange, grapes, banana

lunch- sometimes just whatever i can find, lunch meat, leftover chicken, burger with no bun from a burger joint,

dinner- eggs and turkey bacon or the same as breakfast. sometimes i dont have anything but eggs. burger no bun sometimes with a bowl of spinach and some blue cheese dressing

i know there arent much veggies in there.....any suggestions?

this is how im learning to eat primal. if there are flaws call me on it.

Im a touring musician and my finances are pretty low. this is the best i can do...is it bad/wrong?
    Big brains discuss ideas
    Average brains discuss events
    Small brains discuss people...
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

canio6 Guest
    No. Everything does not have to be grass-fed, organic, massaged by angels, or prepared by God's own hand. Mc Donalds burger, salad, bacon - sure sounds okay to me. I probably wouldn't do it every day but yeah, I eat a burger and bacon and don't feel badly about it. Being on the road can make things difficult and I can see why you would want to grab fast food. Perhaps you can take a stop at a grocery store and grab a rotisserie chicken, some cans/pouches of tuna, some fresh veggies to chew on. Wendy's has some decent salads if you are looking for the fast food route that is not a burger every time. Also I some times buy bagged salad and just eat it right out of the bag like it was a bag of chips.

Breakfast looks good. If you can find nitrate free bacon on the cheap give it a shot. There are also some 'all natural' sausages made by Jimmy Dean and the like - the less added crap the better.

Same goes for lunch meat. Get the best you can afford with as few additives as possible. If you can't pronounce it you don't want it in your body. Or eat some left overs, grilled up chicken, steak or whatever.

Eggs fuckin' rock, so yeah, eat those. You can cook veggies (onions, peppers, shrooms, etc) in an omelet or scrambled eggs. Most veggies taste good sauted up in bacon grease so cook yourself some bacon, then toss in some cabbage, brussel spouts, kale, asparagus, green beans whatever into some of the grease and enjoy.

Beyond that read the book and keep up on the beginner posts and you will be on your way to being a primal beast in no time.

Edited: check out the recipe section too. People post all kinds of good stuff in there. Snack ideas, veggie ideas, what to do with different cuts of meat etc.
    Last edited by canio6; 06-15-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    No. Everything does not have to be grass-fed, organic, massaged by angels, or prepared by God's own hand. Mc Donalds burger, salad, bacon - sure sounds okay to me. I probably wouldn't do it every day but yeah, I eat a burger and bacon and don't feel badly about it. Being on the road can make things difficult and I can see why you would want to grab fast food. Perhaps you can take a stop at a grocery store and grab a rotisserie chicken, some cans/pouches of tuna, some fresh veggies to chew on. Wendy's has some decent salads if you are looking for the fast food route that is not a burger every time. Also I some times buy bagged salad and just eat it right out of the bag like it was a bag of chips.

Breakfast looks good. If you can find nitrate free bacon on the cheap give it a shot. There are also some 'all natural' sausages made by Jimmy Dean and the like - the less added crap the better.

Same goes for lunch meat. Get the best you can afford with as few additives as possible. If you can't pronounce it you don't want it in your body. Or eat some left overs, grilled up chicken, steak or whatever.

Eggs fuckin' rock, so yeah, eat those. You can cook veggies (onions, peppers, shrooms, etc) in an omelet or scrambled eggs. Most veggies taste good sauted up in bacon grease so cook yourself some bacon, then toss in some cabbage, brussel spouts, kale, asparagus, green beans whatever into some of the grease and enjoy.

Beyond that read the book and keep up on the beginner posts and you will be on your way to being a primal beast in no time.

Edited: check out the recipe section too. People post all kinds of good stuff in there. Snack ideas, veggie ideas, what to do with different cuts of meat etc.
    that was the best advice ive gotten so far. my main point is i just cant always eat how the recipes are on here. it looks like rich person food to me! haha
    Big brains discuss ideas
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by btownshreds View Post
    that was the best advice ive gotten so far. my main point is i just cant always eat how the recipes are on here. it looks like rich person food to me! haha
    Sure, we'd all like to eat the best of the best, but it is hard. That said, you can get good deals on grass-fed meat if you have the time to get ot know a farmer, shop around, and have a huge freezer. I have neither so I eat the best store bought meat I can afford. Some weeks that is steak other weeks that is whatever the frack is on sale. I don't eat breakfast (not hungry) and when I eat lunch I try to eat cheap - left overs, tuna etc. My money meal is dinner. Just try to cook up extra stuff if you have time - grill up a pack of chicken and eat a couple of pieces a day, make a pot roast and have left overs etc (assuming that is possible with a touring schedule/facilities). If not, try to make smart choices. Find one of those all you can eat buffet places and chow down on a ton of salad, skip the cheese on the burger if you don't need it (I mean wtf is in fast food cheese anyway?), Ask for extra veggies with the burger or see if they have a low carb option (lettuce wrap or whatever), avoid soda as I know when I am on the road I can easily fall into the I need this coke to stay awake, which turns into, "where the hell did this empty 12 pack come from?" One of my favorites is that pre-cooked bacon you can buy. They also have pre-cooked grilled chicken. both are more expensive than buying raw and cooking it but no more expensive than eating out.

I'm convinced primal can fit pretty much any life style. Sometimes you just have to work it to fit your life a bit.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    What Canio6 said. The only thing I would add is to go easy on fruit, especially high carb ones like bananas. If you cut fruit back to maybe one serving per day, you may find yourself wanting veggies.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

nolineon is offline Member
    McDonald's Salad = $3.39
    McDonald's Double Cheesburger with Bacon = $3.67
    TOTAL = $7.06

1/2 lbs. of grass fed beef @ $8.99/lb = $4.50

I know where I'm putting my money and my mouth.
    Last edited by nolineon; 06-15-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: math is tough

Quote Originally Posted by nolineon View Post
    McDonald's Salad = $3.39
    McDonald's Double Cheesburger with Bacon = $3.67
    TOTAL = $7.06

1/2 lbs. of grass fed beef @ $8.99/lb = $4.50

I know where I'm putting my money and my mouth.
    good for you.
    Big brains discuss ideas
    -Eleanore Roosevelt

Izzylu is offline Senior Member
    Sounded like the fast food was because he was on the road... what the hell is he gonna do with half a pound of grass fed beef on a bus?
    Strong is the new Skinny!

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzylu View Post
    Sounded like the fast food was because he was on the road... what the hell is he gonna do with half a pound of grass fed beef on a bus?
    Good point, but nolineon, raises a good one also. I know I for one sometimes don't buy something because it is too expensive but then for convenience sake spend twice as much grabbing fast food. It's a nice reminder to get 'real' food when you can.

nolineon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzylu View Post
    uhm... eat it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast