Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes your SKIN GLOW? page

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

What makes your SKIN GLOW?

Primal Fuel
    I can remember that while eating a more French style diet (but mostly vegetarian) and after adding CLO daily my skin was glowing and so smooth and even in color that my husband suddenly thought I had started wearing foundation. Now that I eat paleo, still take daily CLO and am overall feeling WAY better than back then, I feel like my skin is pretty dull, mottled, and average.

Where is that healthy luminous skin I feel like I should have on this diet? Anyone found things that add/detract from their glow?

I don't have acne troubles, don't do dairy (except pasture butter), nuts, olive oil only on salads etc.

If you have great glowing skin that hasn't just been like that for you since birth, what do you eat? Are your fruit and veggie servings super high? or are you super low carb? more chicken less beef? I'm open to any and all theories!

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Anything with lots of carotenes:
    Carrots, Tomatos, Pumpkin, bell peppers, etc...

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I agree with eating carotenes, CLO, fresh fish, getting good sleep, being hydrated, coconut oil. And of course lowering your stress.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

pinkmomagain is offline Junior Member
    Well, I'm pretty new to Primal (about 7 weeks in) and I don't know that my skin exactly glows....but I see a big improvement in my skin (better texture, less acne) and face (looks less drawn, more full in a good way). I too am avoiding dairy, but different from you, I am eating some nuts/nut butter and I'm generous with oils/fats (olive, coconut, bacon fat...taking fish oil capsules) and I am eating a whole avocado every day. I don't know if that is what is helping my skin. I do believe that no grains has helped my KP. I've also started oilpulling (for a week now) and I don't know if perhaps that is contributing too.

I'm curious to hear what is working for others....

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin A!

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Get a bucket of Red (virgin) Palm Oil. That stuff has massive amounts of betacarotenes, vitamin e's, and plenty of fat to keep your skin not only healthy and smooth but also packed full of antioxidants and with an attractive glow to it.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoAlex View Post
    Get a bucket of Red (virgin) Palm Oil. That stuff has massive amounts of betacarotenes, vitamin e's, and plenty of fat to keep your skin not only healthy and smooth but also packed full of antioxidants and with an attractive glow to it.
    I just got some but haven't used it yet. I've been eating about 70% fat (95% from animal source) for the last several years. I have NOT been eating a notable amount of carotenes. I do get a ton of A from my daily tablespoon of CLO, but not a lot from plant vitamin A. This thread is very interesting so far.... I'll try out the plant carotenes. Although, not too much, I've seen people get toxic and turn orange too!

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Where can one get palm oil these days?

I ordered it from Azure Standard. It's sort of like a buying club for natural foods.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    The carotenoids are one of the primary sources for that skin glowy thing. About 47% of the human species cannot properly manufacture vitamin A from plant sources so instead those carotenoids end up being used as potent systemic antioxidants. Increased serum levels of carotenoids are associated with an increased life span and a decreased incidence of certain conditions. That orange color you're referring to actually is completely nontoxic as massive vitamin A intake is (somewhat) toxic, not the precursors. There have actually been studies that show the increase in orange you get from heavy concentrations of carotenoids actually increases attractiveness levels in both sexes at a much higher rate than tanning does. Although I'd be surprised if there weren't some sort of peak for this effect but it makes sense on through evolution, if that orange glow is an outward marker for better health then why wouldn't we find it to be attractive?

I buy my palm oil from TropicalTraditions.com they sell them in various sizes including 1 and 5 gallon buckets!
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast