Thread: How much fat to eat to lose weight? page

Paleosence is offline Member

How much fat to eat to lose weight?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi

I posted this message over at the primal leap forum, but there seems to be more traffic over here, so I'm pasting it over here also.

I started the year at 105kg (230lbs) and lost 9kg (20lbs) by attending weight watchers, in about three months. During this time I started looking at MDA and making some changes in the primal direction. I think this is why I kept losing weight while others were plateauing. I ditched weight watchers and eagerly awaited my Primal Leap kit to come from America, couldn't wait! I'm now at day 5 and feel great! This is the first time ever that I have not had horrendous sweet cravings (ok, a few, but easily put to rest with some macadamia nuts, or a little cheese).

I'd like to double check my calculations. Calculating at current weight 210 lbs, Lean Body Mass = 120lbs, PME = 25, ECDE = 2300; I get....

Carbs: 80 grams
    Protein: 100 grams
    Fat: 90 grams
    Total Calories: 1540

I was looking forward to being to eat lots of fat, but using fitday, I soon realised that I was easily getting all this fat (and more) with my protein and couldn't eat any 'extra', such as my craving reducing macadamia nuts. For example, lamb cutlets contain more fat than protein. To get my protein up to 100 grams, while keeping my fat down to 90 grams, I've resorted to low fat protein powder, and am even considering lean meat. Could this possibly be right? or have I calculated it wrong?

On positive note, I'm finding the 80 grams of carb easy. Eating lots of veges, a little bit of honey in my tea, and a small amount of fruit.

Eating out is easier too (than on the weight watchers diet), got a mixed tapas plate last night, so yummy. Just didn't eat the bread.

Thanks everyone

Tam

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry too much about numbers, except carbs. Your body may want extra fat at first. Go with what it wants.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Paleosence is offline Member
    Thanks Hedonist, Yes, I'm trying to keep carbs as low as possible, get adequate protein and just follow my body for the fat. I want to support my body to make the conversion to be a fat burner from a carb burner, I'll worry about the scales later (except if actually put on weight, that's so not ok!). I'm finding I'm full and satisfied after my meals, and I can't believe it, I still haven't had my former sweet cravings...... Carbs, you did me wrong......

I think my biggest 'moment' with primal was realising that my sweet tooth (and hence my extra weight) wasn't because I lacked 'willpower' or was just weak and gluttonous. I really did crave, because I really was hungry, of course I was, my poor body so depleted of protein and fat, crying hungry all the time. Feeling satisfied for hours and hours is new for me, and I love it! Not having sweet cravings has changed my life. Thank you Mark and MDA forum.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Don't worry too much about numbers, except carbs. Your body may want extra fat at first. Go with what it wants.
    +1; also try to get a load of protein as soon as you get up, which really helps cravings and boosts energy. Carbs are a much greater problem for anyone overweight. You could lower your carbs to 50-70, and up the fat a bit to better effect.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

apple is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleosence View Post
    I'm finding I'm full and satisfied after my meals, and I can't believe it, I still haven't had my former sweet cravings......

Feeling satisfied for hours and hours is new for me, and I love it! Not having sweet cravings has changed my life.
    If this is how you're feeling, you're probably doing it right! If you were having lots of carb cravings, I would tell you to eat a bit more fat to see if it helped, but you've already covered that

Congrats, can't wait to see how you progress with primal!
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleosence View Post
    Thanks Hedonist, Yes, I'm trying to keep carbs as low as possible, get adequate protein and just follow my body for the fat. I want to support my body to make the conversion to be a fat burner from a carb burner, I'll worry about the scales later (except if actually put on weight, that's so not ok!). I'm finding I'm full and satisfied after my meals, and I can't believe it, I still haven't had my former sweet cravings...... Carbs, you did me wrong......

I think my biggest 'moment' with primal was realising that my sweet tooth (and hence my extra weight) wasn't because I lacked 'willpower' or was just weak and gluttonous. I really did crave, because I really was hungry, of course I was, my poor body so depleted of protein and fat, crying hungry all the time. Feeling satisfied for hours and hours is new for me, and I love it! Not having sweet cravings has changed my life. Thank you Mark and MDA forum.
    Yay!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.