Thread: So I just inherited a juicer... Any Primal ways to use it? page

So I just inherited a juicer... Any Primal ways to use it?

Shop Now
    I know, I know - don't drink your calories. I do quite enjoy my home-made smoothies on occasion, but otherwise I agree that adequate nutrition needs to be chewed, not drunk. So I therefore promise to only use the juicer power for good, not evil - mostly veg and go very sparingly with fruit; and not to replace real leafy veg with juice.

My idea is to find a way to incorporate juice into a smoothie that uses veg I wouldn't normal use. I use spinach in smoothies, but any other green veg (like kale) doesn't get chopped up enough in my non-Vitamix blender. I will experiment with this for sure, but it sure would make a mess!

I'm not so interested in using it for soup, but a stellar recipe could persuade me.

Does anyone here use a juicer? Any advice or favorite recipes?

I just had a small glass of carrot-celery-ginger juice and it was delicious!

Yes, I know that carrots are high in sugar. I won't make a habit of it, I promise.
    My blog, The Overflowing Pantry

Primal-esque since Feb 2010
    100% Primal since May 2011 (again)

Paleobird Guest
    I have a Jack La Laine juicer that I don't use much anymore but my favorite blend was always carrots/beets/ginger. Yes, I know, the carrot police are everywhere.
    The juicer is also good for using up veggies that are a bit past their "best by" date in your fridge but haven't yet gone bad. Stuff like spinach, the kale you meant to get around to cooking, the slightly bruised romaine heart, etc. This way at least they get used and not wasted.

nolineon is offline Member
    You can be a pioneer in the culinary art of chicken juice.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Book end?

Kidding. Seriously, I'd use it to juice veggies for use in recipes. Juice fresh tomatoes and carrots for a broth base or to enhance a chicken or beef broth. Or to make a veggie paste for meat loaf in place of canned. Make a sauce for baked chicken - Lemons, Limes, garlic (what? you can juice garlic) . . . just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Book end?
    LOL! My husband quite agrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Or to make a veggie paste for meat loaf in place of canned.
    I like some of your ideas (yours too, Paleobird). Do you mean here to use the pulp as well as the juice? I think I would use my handy, much-used food processor for that. But I do like the idea of veggie juices in broth when I don't want to thicken it.
    My blog, The Overflowing Pantry

Primal-esque since Feb 2010
    100% Primal since May 2011 (again)

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    And I wouldn't stress over a glass of carrot-celery-ginger juice. Sounds like a great healthy indulgence to me.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon