Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The reason for big protein breakfast, per Mastering Leptin page

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member

The reason for big protein breakfast, per Mastering Leptin

Primal Fuel
    Since this keeps coming up, I went back to the Mastering Leptin book to see what's up.

The big protein breakfast is for this reason-

Metabolism can increase by 30% for as long as 12 hours from a high-protein meal, (the equivalent of a 3-4 mile jog).

A high carb breakfast does not increase metabolic rate. It may instead trigger a problem with insulin resistance.

High GI carbs shift your leptin release to earlier in the day, and you end up eating too much later, especially late at night.

The big protein breakfast helps get your metabolism going, stabilizes hypoglycemia for later, and helps prevent leptin fluctuations later in the day. Protein enhances release of glucagon, which mediates release of insulin...

from another section in the book-

For the first three hours after eating, your body refuels using insulin. You are not losing weight right then. You want this to settle down. Snacking disrupts it and fatigues the pancreas.

None of this is my opinion. All this is from Mastering Leptin by Byron and Mary Guignon Richards
    Last edited by DFH; 06-15-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: fixed error, note on second page of this thread

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Since this keeps coming up, I went back to the Mastering Leptin book to see what's up.

The big protein breakfast is for this reason-

Metabolism can increase by 30% for as long as 12 hours from a high-protein meal, (the equivalent of a 3-4 mile jog).

A high carb breakfast does not increase metabolic rate. It may instead trigger a problem with insulin resistance.

High GI carbs shift your leptin release to earlier in the day, and you end up eating too much later, especially late at night.

The big protein breakfast helps get your metabolism going, stabilizes hypoglycemia for later, and helps prevent leptin fluctuations later in the day. Protein enhances release of glucagon, which mediates release of insulin...

from another section in the book-

For the first three hours after waking, your body refuels using insulin. You are not losing weight right then. You want this to settle down. Snacking disrupts it and fatigues the pancreas.

None of this is my opinion. All this is from Mastering Leptin by Byron and Mary Guignon Richards
    Wow, another book to pick up. Thanks. I also see why Mark suggests omelets for breakfast

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    DFH, in the book do they say to eat your carbs at night? Also do they recommend 50g protein 30 mins upon waking as in this post (you wrote no food for about 3 hours upon waking):
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html
    Last edited by Sue; 06-15-2011 at 03:55 PM.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this, man. Mad appreciated.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    any mention on like a protein/fat breakdown? I have more time in the morning since switching jobs so I might start eating breakfast again. I'm pretty used to fasting, but I could never say no to meat at any time of the day. However, when they say "big protein" does that mean protein should be higher than fat? cus if so, buncha eggs prolly wouldn't do it right?

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    any mention on like a protein/fat breakdown? I have more time in the morning since switching jobs so I might start eating breakfast again. I'm pretty used to fasting, but I could never say no to meat at any time of the day. However, when they say "big protein" does that mean protein should be higher than fat? cus if so, buncha eggs prolly wouldn't do it right?
    I would think the concern is more over avoiding carbs than fat. Though if you're just doing eggs, you need like 7-8 (large size) just to get the protein.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post

For the first three hours after waking, your body refuels using insulin. You are not losing weight right then. You want this to settle down. Snacking disrupts it and fatigues the pancreas.
    I think you meant to say that for the first three hours after EATING, not waking, your body refuels using insulin - hence you don't want to snack. You want to wait long enough before you eat again for the body to switch over to burning stored fuel (fat) - so that as fat stores start to empty out, leptin levels will decrease, restoring leptin sensitivity.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    I would think the concern is more over avoiding carbs than fat. Though if you're just doing eggs, you need like 7-8 (large size) just to get the protein.
    And that would be a problem because............?

DFH
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    DFH, in the book do they say to eat your carbs at night? Also do they recommend 50g protein 30 mins upon waking as in this post (you wrote no food for about 3 hours upon waking):
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html
    The 3 hrs comment was about how hormones cycle over a day. It didn't mean you don't eat for the first 3 hours. It meant that your body uses insulin after your breakfast, and you want the glucagon that comes along with the protein intake right then.

Mastering Leptin is not full-on low carb (they hate Atkins). It's just saying the morning is the wrong time.

DFH
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    I think you meant to say that for the first three hours after EATING, not waking, your body refuels using insulin - hence you don't want to snack. You want to wait long enough before you eat again for the body to switch over to burning stored fuel (fat) - so that as fat stores start to empty out, leptin levels will decrease, restoring leptin sensitivity.
    It actually meant after waking, because your body does things when you wake up to fuel for the day, regardless of if you skipped breakfast. ML is saying that you want protein intake when that happens because of glucagon.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast