Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: primal mirolax? GI stuff, softness and a better way to measure fat loss page

strom is offline Senior Member

primal mirolax? GI stuff, softness and a better way to measure fat loss

Shop Now
    This stuff is sort of great since it make it easier to go, and is much softer. However it give me awful gas, and hard to clean craps (much dirtier than not using it which requires hardly any toilet paper). Plus I believe its sort of expensive and not sure how long you can be on it. Extra fat and fiber do not make the stool softer. probioitics so far do not make the stool softer and more cylindrical as opposed to rocks that require horrific straining. Even magnesium citrate doesn't change the state of the stool that much, I'm on 700 mg a day. manitol sometimes works but not consistently and its probably bad for you in the long run. My weight was up to 162 yesterday, now its 158 or less. Whenever I get that backed up I get really depressed, so am getting convinced that my depression is strongly digestion related.

Do calipers offer more accurate measurements regardless of bloat/back ups/water retention? I have more visible arm and bicep veins but the stomach looks the same still. I'm trying to figure out if I'm stalling or making slow but steady progress.

Whoa it might have flouride in it. I guess I should up my magnesium up to 1000 mg a day. It might also be why my hair is thinning faster. Not positive. Open to any suggestions. Even on it I only go every 2-3 days.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Being more aware of and acting on urges to go helps me. If you feel like you kinda need to go, go ASAP. Don't ignore it. I had my first really hard stool last weekend and it was definitely not pleasant. Not sure if it was caused by dehydration or what, but man, I have sympathy now for those who suffer.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Water intake makes a difference for me.

Also, coffee (I'm a tea drinker, usually) is a great laxative for me--but I don't know if it would work for you.

kombucha works when I buy it. its 4 bucks a pop though so if its easier to make that would be great. The gingeraid synergy version is awesome.

However its not a cure all, and I like variety of options. I will probably always have some sort of GI issue.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    What about good old senna and docusate? Senna is a vegetable laxative stimulant, and docusate basically lubricates the gut tract without being absorbed.

With your Crohn's, you probably have a better idea than anyone what works. Is psyllium bad?
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

kombucha works when I buy it. its 4 bucks a pop though so if its easier to make that would be great. The gingeraid synergy version is awesome.
    I started my own scoby from a bottle of GT's Original. It's so easy to make!

Here's my recipe (adapted from something I found online.)
    Kombucha Tea Continuous Brewing Method

Benefits
    Taste & Benefit - The Optimum Kombucha Brew. Continuous Brewing is the easiest and simplest way to make Kombucha Tea. All one needs is a 2 gallon or larger container.

Follow the basic Kombucha Recipe. Once you have fermented your Kombucha tea to its proper level, all you have to do is to replace that which you drink with tea mix. Adding tea mix may be done each day, or every other day and sometimes on the third day.

Advantage of the Continuous Brewing Method is that the optimum health benefit of all the nutrients are readily available. There is no need to do weekly cleaning, no need to remove or worry about the kombucha mother, and mold is far less likely to form. Since you are simply maintaining a consistent established ferment, your brew is far less likely to be influenced by wild or airborne bacteria and yeasts. In kombucha fermenting, as in beer, wine or vinegar, the initial phrase, is the most critical and the most likely time a batch may go off in a unwanted direction.

How to Begin Continuous Kombucha Brewing
    1. Pour one bottle of GT’s Kombucha (buy from a health food store or food coop) into a sterilized 2 gallon glass or ceramic container. (sterilize the container with boling water or use white vinegar to clean it.)

2. Cover the container with a cloth towel or napkin, secure with a rubber band (allows gases to escape.)

3. Leave for 3 weeks in a relatively dark and warm location that is easy to access (and not easy to forget!) Label container with the date. Kitchen countertop is fine.

5. Be sure that the spigot is accessible. Setting the Continuous Brewing Container upon a raised platform makes life easier. You'll want to easily fit a cup under the spigot.

Check for leaks BEFORE you fill with your ferment. we suggest to use a bit of white distilled vinegar. Swish around and lay the container so that the spigot is submerged and wait and hour or so then check the outside for leaks. .

Never fill the container to the brim. Only fill about 3/4 or so, leaving room for the mushroom to grow and for the exchange of gases. Evaporating gases may condense on a low hanging cover, causing dampness on the cover and thereby possibly contamination.
    Tea Solution
    As a guide maintain these ratios to the volume of water

one quart of water
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tea bag

Make the tea with freshly boiled water, Brew to the desired strength and sir in the sugar to dissolve. Once the tea is cool, you can add it to the kombucha starter.

Leave the initial batch for about 10 days (less if you want it sweeter, more if you want it more sour.)

Draw off what you want to drink or refrigerate and replace it with the same amount of tea mix within a couple of days. Repeat this as desired.

Your ferment taste and character will stay just about the same for 3-4 days but beyond that begins to age and sour noticeably. That may be a good opportunity to bottle off most of your brew and to start a fresh full batch the day you leave. Plan on a 8-14 day day cycle before the new batch is ready.

To review. The key is to maintain what you have. You accomplish this by removing some (drinking/bottling) and by adding some fresh sugar and tea back (feeder solution.)

Cleaning
    At some point you may decide its time to clean out your brew. It may be that the the yeast are over populated, the taste is thicker, yeastier, and/or the spigot is clogged. With vinegar-rinsed hands or utensil, remove the mother into a clean bowl that has been rinsed with white vinegar & cover. Clean out the brewing container with clean water and rinse with white vinegar. Return the mother and add a new batch of tea mix. Wait ten days for the first batch, then resume the continuos brewing method.

The Mother
    At some point the mother may just become too large or too scary-looking! The mother itself is important to a kombucha ferment as it contains more of the bacteria and serves as protection and direction for the bacteria. So up to a point, more mother is better. A one to two inch thick mother is good. Fish out the mother with a clean and rinsed utensil or hands (rinse in white vinegar.) Peel off the bottom layers and discard them, returning the top layer to the container.)

Going on Vacation
    Good time to bottle and preserve your brew for latter. Leave about 1/2 a gallon (2 quarts/2 liters) in the container. This will continue to ferment and be nice and ready to use as the starter for your new brew when you come back from vacation and are ready to resume brewing. Simply follow the Basic Recipe. Alternatively if you'll be gone between 1-2 weeks the you may decide to go ahead and draw off and bottle and begin a fresh new batch. Depending upon temperatures the typical ferment will take 8-14 days, so you can plan to have a nice brew when you get home.

If you will be gone longer, make sure there are at least two cups of tea mix in the container to keep the mother alive and put the container in a cool place (fridge should be fine), and the ferment will slow down. When you return, toss the fermented liquid and add new tea mix to the container. You’ll have to wait about 10 days, but the mother will be fine.

However its not a cure all, and I like variety of options. I will probably always have some sort of GI issue.
    Have you tried EFT? Cleared my lifelong asthma with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast