Thread: Turkey from Tropical Traditions tasting and smelling like fish? page

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Or did I just get a bad turkey?

I purchased a pastured raised, cocofeed fed, turkey from Tropical Traditions.

Anyway, it smelled like fish! and had a fish taste-- especially the dark meat.

My question is-- has anyone else ever bought a turkey from Tropical Traditions?

Does anyone have an idea why this would happen? I emailed them and they have never heard of this before. I'm surprised because all five of us eating this turkey noticed the same thing. I just can't imagine that Tropical Traditions have never heard this feedback before.

For the record, there wasn't any fish on the menu nor was the turkey thawed near fish or in a pan that ever had fish in it.

I'm perplexed! This damn bird cost $75 too (for 11 lbs). I'm so disappointed

Any ideas??

62shelby Guest

just an idea, anecdotal at best, but even so, I am expecting to get hosed down for it....wonder if they feed them a lot of straight omega 3's in addition to the coco feed? I say that because I had a friend that was in China that ate eggs she said tasted like fish. the chickens had been fed fish meal or something like it, so wonder if that would be similarly effecting the taste?

62shelby Guest

p.s just sent epic

Yeah, I was thinking something similar-- that they were fed flaxseed?

....hosed down LOL

It's the strangest damn thing though. All of us noticed this fish smell.

The turkey is awful too. I'm so peeved I spent so much money on this thing. Never again.

62shelby Guest

I think that you have good cause to ask for your money back. Or at least let them know how much it sucked.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Wow. I've been thrilled with all of their coconut products, but I've never bought any turkey (or other meat) from them.

Didn't they offer to make it good for you? I can see where they wouldn't want to send you another turkey that might be equally distasteful to you, but perhaps you could suggest that you'd be happy with an equivalent dollar amount of coconut products as a replacement.

Let them know that you're really, really unhappy about the turkey and you feel like it was a waste of money.

They did finally contact me and said they'd compensate me-- not sure how, but I do know I'm turned off of turkey... like forever.

Before I threw the whole away, we tried to make a soup out of the carcass and the whole house smelled AWFUL.

You know, and when it was roasting, we never did get that heavenly roasted turkey scent that usually wafts the entire house.

I think I just got a bad bird.

Update:

The customer service representative just left a voice mail and said that the pastured turkeys are fed fishmeal. So, that would be a YES Shelby. Why didn't they state this from the beginning I wonder, when I first asked about the fish flavor of the turkey.

She said nothing about the cocofeed that they are supposedly fed, according to the website.

62shelby Guest

If looks like a duck..... or is a fish or turkey in this case?

Thats a lot of money for a something fed on that, yeah amazing they didnt mention it eh?