Thread: Eggs: does open air mean grass feed? page

Melly is offline Junior Member

Question Eggs: does open air mean grass feed?

Primal Fuel
    Hello;

I came across some new eggs in the grocery store with a picture of some chickens on it standing on green grass. It said that the chickens were "open air". Is this marketing or actually organic or just that they ate their corn feed outside?

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't guess it means anything more than the most specific legal definition of exactly what it says, and I can't even imagine what "open air" means. Just like "free range" doesn't necessarily mean anything more than a few square feet of concrete. You could call them.

artnmuzic is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like marketing...I've found that if a product is truly organic or pastured, the label clearly says those particular words because they're such huge selling points.

Also, if the eggs aren't pricier than regular battery eggs, then they're likely not truly outdoor birds. Also-also, I've read that birds that have access to the outdoors don't necessarily use it: they were born indoors, raised indoors, and don't find the outdoors all that attractive, even with the doors wide open.

I'd call the company directly, as Loafingcactus recommends. Make 'em accountable for their wording.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    even pastured egg laying chickens were probably fed a supplemental diet of corn or whatever else that goes into chicken feed outside. They usually need more than just what can be found outside.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Chickens don't eat grass.

The label open air only means the chickens have some access to the sky. If they were labeled free-range it would just mean they aren't cage-raised, but could still be raised inside a big open warehouse with little or no outside access. In this case, open air probably means warehouse raised with a small yard that the chickens can go out to that is merely fenced in and has no roof or cover. I doubt there is actual grass.

Open Air has no legally binding definition, like Organic. It's just a marketing descriptor. But the above description is how it usually goes. I buy chickens for our market from local farms and that's the usual setup if it's bigger than a backyard coop-and-fence thing.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    Chickens don't eat grass.

The label open air only means the chickens have some access to the sky. If they were labeled free-range it would just mean they aren't cage-raised, but could still be raised inside a big open warehouse with little or no outside access. In this case, open air probably means warehouse raised with a small yard that the chickens can go out to that is merely fenced in and has no roof or cover. I doubt there is actual grass.

Open Air has no legally binding definition, like Organic. It's just a marketing descriptor. But the above description is how it usually goes. I buy chickens for our market from local farms and that's the usual setup if it's bigger than a backyard coop-and-fence thing.
    Thank you, Brahnamin.

jens522 is offline Senior Member
    I've seen grass fed eggs at whole foods for $6.99 a dozen. Not sure if it's true or not.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jens522 View Post
    I've seen grass fed eggs at whole foods for $6.99 a dozen. Not sure if it's true or not.
    Why would they be feeding them grass? My chickens like greens, in the form of the kitchen scraps I feed them, but they LOVE bugs and worms and the grains in their feed and scratch. Also, $6.99? That's crazy expensive.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jens522 View Post
    I worked for WFM for over 8 years and never saw any grass fed eggs. I'd look again. Eggs do tend to have various claims on them - Typically free range, open air, and cage free. It can get confusing. Particularly at Whole Foods where they have every other thing labeled with the latest buzz words.