Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wife is RIGHT - Otter's Log page

ottercat is offline Senior Member

The Wife is RIGHT - Otter's Log

Primal Fuel
    Name: Otter
    Weight: 130
    Height: 4' 11" (ok, it's 10.75", but I round up)

I've been doing sports/exercising regularly since late high school and got interested in nutrition about 20 years ago. Several years ago I broke myself (overtraining + vitamin D deficiency). I got better, but the weight is still hanging around.

Anyway -El Hubbo is an endurance athlete who lives on crap ("it says 'healthy' on the box!"). He doesn't do any strength training, doesn't think diet is important and says things like "Exercise FOUR HOURS a day and I guarantee you'll lose weight". He's very tall and lanky with a pronounced tummy; it went away when he was training 4 hours a day for the Ironman, but it came back less than 2 months afterward. I secretly think to myself "15lb in 12 months is not super-impressive", but I don't want to belittle his accomplishment. Besides, he IS an Ironman and I haven't done anything longer than a half marathon.

I'm physically (and mentally) the polar opposite. I fenced in highschool and college, did the bodybuilding thing, after I recovered from my mystery condition I took up martial arts and roller derby. So, I'm all explosive speed and fast-twitch muscle. Two miles into the marathon/2 I was so bored I thought my head would explode.

Anyway - my goal is to get below 120lb using PB. Technically I'd still be "overweight", but last I checked my LBM was 97lb (prob a little less now), so BMI can SUCK IT. I've been half-assed Primal since about February so I'd like to buckle down and show El Hubbo that I am RIGHT and nutrition and strength training are important

Also - I'm hoping PB will help with fertility. We've been diagnosed with "unexplained infertility" and had have 2 IUI's fail. I was all no-alcohol, no-caffeine, no-sweeteners until the first one failed and then I was like "eff this, I'm having a diet coke!" which brings us to

THE CHALLENGES: 1) Diet Pepsi Max addiction, you can tell me it's unhealthy, doesn't work.... 2) I quit all my sports 2 months ago and am feeling a little lost

Anyway - I'll try to be entertaining if you'll come back and kick my ass if I slack off. What if I post bikini pictures? ... no, not NOW, when I'm hot again.... how about cat pictures? ha ha, ok I'll shut up now.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Do it for yourself, not to prove your husband wrong. yes, i understand what your real intent is, but to do this long term, it has to be for yourself no one else.
    I will happily kick your ass about it. Also, you're exactly a foot shorter than me :P
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Do it! I'm doing some crazy strict paleo leptin reset program for 8 weeks. We can whine together when the going gets tough and we want our hubby's pizza, etc.

And who the hell has 4 hours to work out?!?!?!?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I like cat pictures! And if you have kitten pics you get bonus points
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Hey, don't tell anyone... One little sneaky motivation of mine is to have a six pack before the boyfriend does. So I understand you in a way ;-)

See, he's this very tall, lanky, army guy. He eats low-fat "healthy" food and exercises quite a bit. He's gorgeous. Except no matter what he does, his nice muscles are covered in fat. Skinny-fat, I guess, he always has to be taped when he has a army physical.

Now me... I'm wide and big-boned, got lovely big hips and butt. And I'm fat right now, but that's coming off with Primal diet. I don't exercise much, but I'm not sedentary. Still, I'm going to try to exercise a bit more because I want to stun him... with a six pack(*)! I'm really looking forward to the look on his face... Hopefully that will be enough to change his mind about Primal!

(*) And then I'll go back to being squishy, because I don't really give a flying squirrel about a six pack.

I like your attitude towards BMI, keep it up!
    Pepsi Max was difficult for me to give up because the boyfriend is always drinking them around the house. You hear a can pop.. you want some too..
    From now on, what I'll do, is keep coconut milk in the house, and blend it with strawberries+kiwi, mango/peach, or pineapple. It's not soda, but it's a really tasty drink. I'll also make my own black iced-tea, keep it in the fridge, then add heavy cream and some honey when I make myself a glass.
    Could you do something like that?
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 06-16-2011 at 06:29 AM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    Go for it!

One difference I've noticed between men and women is that most men can lose weight eating like crap as long as they exercise. It's easy for him to give you advice when his body is completely different. I'm like you... fast-twitch muscle compared to my SO. Muscle makes chicks hot. Go you!!

@nion - yes, ultimately it's all about me, but sometimes when temptations loom and motivation wanes, if I remember to think "Ha, I'll show him!" it usually helps. Ha ha, let's go pants shopping together and watch the store people tear their hair out!

@kymma - kewl blog! kudos to you for sticking with the program, I don't think I could eat 50g of protein in one sitting... but if you want to whine, stop on by! I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of that

@AP - when I was 10-14% bodyfat I still didn't have a six-pack, but now that I'm, uh, more than that I have BOOBS. I think most guys will take hooties over a six-pack... and I guess I would too. I'm drinking unsweetened iced tea right now, I actually like it better than sweetened for some reason; also, lemon/lime seltzer water is good for getting the bubbles fix. I swear they put something in Diet Pepsi Max that's not in other diet drinks, like crack.

@lobster - did you ever see "You Are What You Eat" with the British harpie who comes over and looks at poop and tells people how fat they are? On that show the women are always really good about the diet and exercise and their husbands always cheat and drag their feet, but they always lose 2x times more than their wives! stupid testosterone. And who am *I* to give him advice when our bodytypes are so different?

@Belinda - my bebeh, he's all big now
    Last edited by ottercat; 06-16-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Dear Otter,
    Have I not served you well for 42 years? Did we not do literally thousands of lunges together? Did I not catch you when burly women sent you flying off the track? After all this you ask people to kick me for your own shortcomings! Enough is enough, I'm leaving.
    Sincerely,
    Your Hiney

OK, after I posted yesterday I had a "Last Supper" kind of attack which included Pepsi Max and a small piece of carrot cake. I found a bag of chips in the pantry, but it was like 1/2c of chip-dust so I ate a few of the big pieces and threw the bag away. Then there was a box of Triscuits (my favorite!), but if you added all the fragments together, there were about 4.

Bfast: 2 eggs, bacon (need some alkalinizing veggies in there!)
    Lunch: not hungry, skip
    Snack: attempted carbo binge [bad!]
    Dinner: cauliflower + salmon "sushi" rolls
    Beverages: sugar free mocha [bad!], Diet Pepsi Max [bad!], water, raspberry leaf tea, Emergen-C

WO; kettlebells, lower body; 30m stroll; random bursts of kettlebell swings

When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on.

But anyway, that's loser-thinking! This journal is for accountability!

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, agreed that guys are likely more interested in boobage than a 6pack. I just want to show him that if "this lazy girl" can do it, then he must be doing something wrong. An evil way to get the point across to him. (point being: if his diet and exercise is so good for him, then how come his muscles are covered in fat?)

Meowzers!, BTW, any chance to see a grown-up kitty photo...? I've got a ginger feline at home too!
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

THURSDAY
    Not too bad a day considering that I actually ate
    Bfast: bison burger, cauliflower
    Lunch: taco meat, kale
    Dinner: grilled chicken wings, sweet onion, bell pepper, celery
    Snack: small scoop vanilla ice cream

I admit I had a 12oz Diet Coke in the afternoon because I was losing consciousness. For some reason I woke up at 1:56 and couldn't get back to sleep.

Exercise: this was a rest day (though I did walk 45min to and from the post office); I did kettlebells on Mondays and Wednesday and went for a run on Tuesday and my posterior chain is pretty sore. My excuse is that I had a massage and a chiropractic adjustment so I didn't want to topple over doing one-legged deadlifts or something.

El Hubbo is out of town so I spent all evening doing numerous Paleo Projects:
    - made ghee
    - carved up and ground and froze 1/2 a beef heart, started rendering tallow
    - experimented with purifying some rendered mixed fat that's been in the fridge
    - finished up Epic Bone Broth of Every Animal.

I had dumped about 1/3c of apple cider vinegar into the 5qt crockpot and it really softened up the bones. I though Mark was nuts when he wrote about eating the smaller chicken bones, but I found they were so crumbly you could even eat the leg bones! They're like Grok M&M's with a crispy outer shell and marrow insides. So I ate some bones, crushed the rest (even the pork rib bones were crumbly) and boiled them some more in about a quart of water, strained and added to EBBoEA.

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast