Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wife is RIGHT - Otter's Log page 52

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I would still avoid gluten if I were you. I get my carbs from honey, fruit and dairy.

Losing hair is another biggie, as is losing the outer third of your eyebrow.

I consider anything below 150g to be low, but that's just me.

Saturated fat and carbs = heart disease? Ray Peat doesn't seem to think so. PUFAs and the widespread inflammation they cause are the main culprits in most disease processes.

Temps - Any part of your cycle will do, you're looking for patterns. If your temp is over 97.7 on the day you ovulate only, it's safe to say you're still hypo.

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    ottercat, when Martha does pompons, she probably goes all out and doesn't do just one. lol, I won't be making a pompom maker anytime soon. What I'm thinking about making is a couple of empty Deli Cat food containers filled with wet sand. I think they will be effective kettle balls. I'm sure Martha would spruce them up a lot more than I plan to but I'm please with the whole recycling economizing functional idea.

@Panda, there are a couple of good resources. It's easy to do and you get the labs you want. I did it last year when I didn't have insurance, but had a sizable severance pay for the job that disappeared. Also, some of them offer coupon codes that will knock some dollars off the cost, so google for the name of the place +coupon codes. If one decides to order their own test, it's also a good idea to put the results up for a "hack". On this site, or Paleo Hacks, Optimal Health Cave... there's lot of good smart people out there that can help with the interpretation of the various results.

Links to Do It Yourself Labs:
    http://www.healthcheckusa.com/How-It-Works/46825/
    http://www.anylabtestnow.com/

@EM, that is exactly what was going on with me. I'd been put on Synthetic T4, but my liver wasn't processing into T3. TSH test won't show that! When I was put on Cytomel (T3) I got a little better. Later, I dropped the T4 and got even better.
    Last edited by GoLisaGo; 02-25-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add link
    There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
    Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if this will help but here in my little town we have an 'independent' lab. She (registered nurse) draws the blood & you tell her what tests you want done. She then sends it to a reputable lab & in about 3 or 4 days you get the results. I usually have her fax a copy to my regular MD that I use for blood pressure meds (which I hope to be eliminating soon!) & fax me a copy for my records. She charges $40 per test. I don't have insurance either so its better for me to do it that way. And I don't have to have a doctor's orders. My doc is actually the one that suggested it. He has several patients that use her service. It costs about half of what it would cost if he drew it in office & sent it off.
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    I get my carbs from fruit, veggies, sweet potato, red & purple potato, rice, and nuts. And the occasional popcorn slip up... or the corn tortilla. In the winter I try to keep carbs low, 35 to 50 gr, but don't really limit much except the starch carbs. The rest of the year when fresh foods are more in season and I move more, I increase the carbs. Or at least that's been the plan I've been trying to follow. Once in a while, I let a piece of cheesecake, chocolate, or something like that seduce me and I don't feel guilty in the slightest as long as it's not a regular habit. I don't think it's the combination of carbs and sat fat that causes heart disease, but the type of carbs and the type of fat combo. Carbs and fats from veggies & steak are treated differently than the ones from potato chips and pepperoni pizza.
    There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
    Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    hey girls...from all that I've been reading its not sat. fat that causes heart disease...its the wheat (gluten) & grains & sugar & all the other crap that's the SAD. Having an imbalance in Omega 6's to Omega 3's doesn't help either.

And of course we all know there are good carbs & bad carbs.

ottercat I agree with Em...stay away from the gluten & other grains if you can. I try to keep my carbs around 50 g. Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. But that's the average I shoot for.

have a great evening!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    ok, I feel a little better [wipes drool]

I usually avoid wheat (except I just ate a piece of pizza, dammit!) because it makes my knees flame up.
    150g isn't particularly high in SAD terms
    Right now I'm just doing everything in coconut oil...... and by "everything" I mean the eggs I sometimes have for lunch.
    Started taking kelp supps for what it's worth. Almost ran off to the health food store to get Lugol's, but decided to try the kelp for a bit. I should really get tested instead of self diagnosing.
    My arm skin is definitely weird... I, um, had a very good close up of El Hubbo's shoulders in a situation where it would not be unusual for me to spend a lot of time fondling them and his arm skin is totally different from mine. Yes boys, this is what we're thinking about.
    My eyebrows and eyelashes are actually rather robust right now, but part of that may be the skin cream I'm using. A lot of people said their eyebrows and eyelashes got thicker, too.
    But my leg hair has pretty much stopped growing. I shaved once at the beginning of the semester before swim class and haven't really felt the need to defoliate the odd hair or two I see on close inspection and we're talking black hair on very pasty skin.

But NO self-diagnosing, be good.

I guess i've been pretty low-carb for awhile.... I did Atkins way back when it was a ketogenic diet and not a buy packaged shit with fake sugar diet, during the freak-out when I destroyed my metabolism I even tried cyclical ketogenic, after the recovery I did Precision Nutrition which allows carbs after a workout. I don't know why PN was so hard... there was always this struggle to find "anytime" meals. I derailed after being really good for a couple of months because I went into a depressive tailspin. I don't know why Primal is so easy, now if I could just start losing weight again!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I'm very curious about iodine/lugols as well, especially with all the active threads on supplementing iodine on the forums lately. I don't think I've seen a single person say that they had a doctor test their levels. I don't want to pay more to get tested, but I also don't want to waste money on something I don't need...but how do we know the test will be accurate?! Gah!!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Yeah, it sounds like the testing is pretty iffy at best and that skin absorption thing doesn't seem reliable at all. I guess if you're just comparing to yourself, but what if you're old/young? what if your skin is dry/not dry? What if the results are somewhere between a "few minutes" and "several hours", are you deficient or not? I think it'd be best to get an actual T3 test, that sounds like the actual important one....

Well, this weekend suuuuuuccckkkked

Saturday - eats were good all day until dinner. We decided on a whim to go see a 7:30 movie and didn't eat beforehand, so it was nearly 10 when we popped by the supermarket to get some dinner. El Hubbo wanted pizza, and I did not, so I got some sushi. Ate that, a piece of pizza, and then went to bed.

Then the Diet Gods smited me.

Woke up around 6:00 and I had chills, stomachache and a terrible thirst. I got up and drank some water and took a few digestive enzymes and went back to bed. I could feel the lump in my stomach dissolving, but I felt pretty terrible. My brain said, "Maybe it's bromine detox" and I resolved to look up the symptoms when it was time to get up. A teeny voice said, "Maybe you're pregnant". Before I even had time to consider it, I was sprinting to the bathroom. It's pretty amazing how you can instantly transition from "I can't move and I want to die" to Olympic gold-medal 7m cat-hurdler.

Spent the whole morning barfing, and I think I was barfing rice, which is pretty awful considering it would normally be digested and gone within an hour or so of eating if I hadn't been totally food poisoned. I've had food poisoning once before from some dodgy beef and broccoli; I barfed and was fine, but my dinner had been sitting in my stomach poisoning me for several hours.

El Hubbo went out and got me some ginger ale and I sacked out on the couch in his huge bathrobe under the Slanket and a comforter. Fortunately, there was a Firefly marathon in progress, but I drifted in and out of sleep for the rest of the day. Finally stopped being cold around 10PM, had the energy to read for about an hour and then fell asleep.

So Sunday:
    Lunch: 1 bottle ginger ale
    Snack: 1 bottle powerade
    Dinner: 1 bottle ginger ale
    Activity: sprinting, barfing

Stupid supermarket sushi! Stupid Otter for eating supermarket sushi purchased an hour before the stored closed! I have a vague desire to eat, but I think the only rice we have is jasmine and I'm not sure I could handle the smell right now....

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    weekend fail.

ugh.

Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast