Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wife is RIGHT - Otter's Log page 49

theprimalcajun is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well that was an interesting dream!!! I have weird ones like that too sometimes. Makes you wonder where the hell your subconcious comes up with stuff like that!!

Couldn't access the link to the pooping article! Can you try again?

have a good evening!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theprimalcajun View Post
    Well that was an interesting dream!!! I have weird ones like that too sometimes. Makes you wonder where the hell your subconcious comes up with stuff like that!!

Couldn't access the link to the pooping article! Can you try again?

have a good evening!!
    here's the actual URL: Gut Sense: Restoring Intestinal Flora
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

thanks!! it worked & a very interesting article! thanks for sharing it!!!

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    Finally, someone who isn't afraid to talk about poop! I've wondered a few times why I haven't seen the subject discussed more around these parts. I remember watching a movie years ago, called The Last Emperor, about royalty in old China, and the little boy had a team of caretakers. One of their jobs was to daily inspect the little prince's poop. It is such an important aspect of health, and keeping the gut in a healthy balanced state just isn't stressed enough. Every time a relative is put on antibiotics, I ask them if they are taking, or planning on taking, a high quality probiotic to restore the healthy flora. Why aren't the doctors recommending that? My sister's doc told her to eat yogurt a few times a week after her surgery and antibiotic, but I don't know that a little carton of cheap yogurt will cut it. I bought some stuff in the refrigerated section of the health food co-op about 18 months ago, and I swear it put me back on the right track. I have not had major cut issues since, but of course I also changed my SAD diet.
    There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
    Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Quote Originally Posted by GoLisaGo View Post
    Finally, someone who isn't afraid to talk about poop! I've wondered a few times why I haven't seen the subject discussed more around these parts. I remember watching a movie years ago, called The Last Emperor, about royalty in old China, and the little boy had a team of caretakers. One of their jobs was to daily inspect the little prince's poop. It is such an important aspect of health, and keeping the gut in a healthy balanced state just isn't stressed enough. Every time a relative is put on antibiotics, I ask them if they are taking, or planning on taking, a high quality probiotic to restore the healthy flora. Why aren't the doctors recommending that? My sister's doc told her to eat yogurt a few times a week after her surgery and antibiotic, but I don't know that a little carton of cheap yogurt will cut it. I bought some stuff in the refrigerated section of the health food co-op about 18 months ago, and I swear it put me back on the right track. I have not had major cut issues since, but of course I also changed my SAD diet.
    I thought it was really interesting that the bulk of poop is made up of bacteria and dead cells, NOT fiber. I'm actually a much better digester of veggies now than when I was a vegetarian, go figure.

ottercat & Lisa...I agree. I thought that was an extremely interesting article! And who knew poop wasn't made up of fiber!!
    I read somewhere a while back that you are wasting your money on most of the yogurts you buy in the store. Like everything else they are so processed that there's not much of the good stuff there. I buy an organic greek yogurt that I like. But I also take a probiotic the chirodoc gave me. It bothered me in the beginning to eat so much vegi's but I'm doing better at digesting them now to. Our guts are amazing little machines aren't they??

have a great night!!!

MONDAY
    Bfast: coffee w/ cream
    Activity: Swim 60m
    Lunch: roast chicken, 1/4c jasmine rice
    Snack: mozzarella cheese, 1/2 serving of gluten free pretzels
    Snack: the rest of the roast chicken, coffee w/ cream + palm sugar
    Dinner: clam chowder
    Dessert: small apple, 85% dark chocolate, 3oz wine

Cal: 925 (a little more bc the chowder was made w/ bone broth)
    C: 60, F:36, P:70

OK, I'm starting to get into an information overload situation.... Let's back up. I was doing REALLY well last week, dropping weight every day, heading for a new low. I didn't want to jinx myself by telling you guys before I got there, but I did anyway. Along with ToM came a bunch of gluten free cookies, part of a sticky bun, sushi and the resulting BLOOP in weight.

I keep reading about Ray Peat, Nourished Em is having good luck with his protocol and ChocoTaco, our local carbovore, is espousing a diet that sounds similar. There are a lot of similarities with Primal (don't eat crap), but a LOT of differences.

PB: insulin is the devil.
    RP: if you're too low carb your thyroid will shut down

PB: avoid fruit while you're trying to lose
    RP: eat fruit every day, fructose is your friend

PB: limit carbs!
    RP: carbs with every meal!

Primal: limit dairy
    RP: LOTS of dairy! And ice cream without gums in it
    Me: now you're just yankin' me

RP: shellfish!
    Me: but they're super acid-forming....

PB: good oils like cold water fish, olive oil, mac nut oil, and coconut oil
    RP: no unsaturated or monounsaturated, just butter and coconut

Paleo: don't eat nightshades
    RP: don't eat goitergens
    Me: what's left? AAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Anyway - while I've been tracking I found that even when I think I'm cheating I'm below 100g carbs. Today I ate a little carb with each meal, I ate all day long, and came in way under the 1500 cal, 75g carb arbitrary limit. I guess I'll incorporate the helpful hints that I like.
    - I could definitely increase the amount of seafood; clams are yummy, they are not so much "farmed" as "conveniently organized", plus you eat the whole critter so it's not just muscle meat.
    - I could reduce the amount of crucifers and increase other veggies in the diet, even if they are nightshades.
    - Eat less than 100g carbs, but don't leave them out entirely, maybe even eat a little fruit now and then. Maybe that will keep the depression at bay

ottercat & Lisa...I agree. I thought that was an extremely interesting article! And who knew poop wasn't made up of fiber!!
    I read somewhere a while back that you are wasting your money on most of the yogurts you buy in the store. Like everything else they are so processed that there's not much of the good stuff there. I buy an organic greek yogurt that I like. But I also take a probiotic the chirodoc gave me. It bothered me in the beginning to eat so much vegi's but I'm doing better at digesting them now to. Our guts are amazing little machines aren't they??
    I can't even eat regular industrial yogurt because it's just milk jello with some active culture mixed in, i.e. not cultured milk. I'm fine with the organic real yogurts. I made my own last week, but it was kind of a pain in the butt and I have trouble finding milk that isn't UHT.

Our gut microbiota are the coolest thing ever. It's like a whole new world inhabited by a tightly knit ecosystem of commensal bacteria (hundreds and hundreds of species!) that will probably take years just to identify genetically, let alone figure out what their specific roles are. They secrete vitamins, they digest and process food, they crowd out bad bugs before they make us sick, there's nothing they don't do!

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Changing to eating the RP way takes a concerted effort, especially after years of low-carbing. It will also cause a temporary gain in weight. This isn't fun when you've spent the last five years losing 100lbs but it does get much better.
    Interestingly I now have far less food sensitivities and allergies. I can eat pretty much anything and I can even handle being around animals with no symptoms. This is a huge change for me, seriously, the lower carb I ate, the more sensitivities raised their irritating little heads. You see this everywhere on low-carb forums, people start low-carbing then suddenly they can't handle dairy, or nuts, or nightshades... A diet that creates intolerance where there was none before cannot be a good thing!

Anyway, I'm rambling. My point, if I have one, is that Peat and Primal cannot really be combined and you really need to read some of Peat's articles to learn where he's coming from (his whole deal on estrogen dominance would be of particular interest to you I think). Peat encourages the use of high carbs, not moderate. He considers vegetables to be a condiment. He believes thyroid health is paramount and that sucrose can be used therapeutically for hypometabolic states. Except for the commonality on saturated fats and organ meats, there really isn't much cross over between Primal and Peat.

Oh, and another thing - you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere a "how to do the Ray Peat diet" guide because he believes that context is everything.

Now, do you want to take the blue pill or the red one......

My point, if I have one, is that Peat and Primal cannot really be combined and you really need to read some of Peat's articles to learn where he's coming from (his whole deal on estrogen dominance would be of particular interest to you I think). Peat encourages the use of high carbs, not moderate.
    Alas, I cannot do high carb. I did high carb back in the late 80's when anything more complex than liquid sucrose was a "complex carb" and therefore, good for you. It wasn't until I restricted my carbs that the weight totally fell off. I wish I'd had measurements and kept track of how fast it disappeared. I mean, I wasn't that big to begin with, but after I restricted my carbs I walked around at 14% bodyfat without even trying. But restricted carbs were still not that restricted, 1 serving was like 1 cup of rice and you could have two servings per day, which was plenty even for a Japanese child used to having bread or rice with every meal.

Still, I have poked through the articles a bit and they are very interesting and he has a lot of information to take into consideration. I guess it's like religion, someone charismatic sets out the gospel and you can start out on the straight and narrow, but ultimately you have to find what works for you personally :P

I think low-carb, but not no-carb works for me in that I seem to lose AND stay sane, but I'm still trying to quantify that balance so I can be consistent about it.

Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast