Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wife is RIGHT - Otter's Log page 41

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    Elderly men usually pay cash so they're fast..........but then it turned out the lady checking out was one of those befuddled coupon people who has to peer through her glasses after every item and ask about the discount (or lack thereof) making the check out girl read all the fine print and explain the coupon had expired 2 years ago. I looked at the Coke Zero, announced (in my head) that I was exercising self-control, and thought about something else. I daydreamed for awhile and then GODDAMMIT, what is she complaining about now?!? And then I noticed the Diet Coke was there again. Anyway, it ended up in my basket and then in my belleh. It was delicious.
    That Coke would have ended up in my basket, too! There's a cashier at my Whole Foods that I avoid like the plague because she can't remember codes and coupons are confusing and in the amount of time it takes her to bag my groceries, I could have bagged them myself and driven all the way home and put them away.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    FRIDAY
    Bfast: bulletproof coffee (half caff with 3T butter, 1T MCT)
    Activity: swimming!
    Lunch: leftover stir fry, bleh! Probably some other stuff
    Dinner: bleu cheese burger w/o bun (ok, I ate part), sweet potato fries, diet coke

Last night we were all snuggled up in bed and el Hubbo said, "So, your swimming class starts tomorrow?" OH SHIT, I thought it was Monday. So I had to get up and get all my crap together so I didn't have to panic in the morning. Class involved 45 minutes of shivering on the bleachers why the instructor prattled on and about 15 minutes of swimming. Why do I feel like I've written this all before, did I accidentally post this in someone else's log? There's one kid who looks like he's never swum before, but everyone else seems pretty comfortable. We swam about 200 yards altogether and I'm super-inefficient so it was a good workout

We had dinner at the pub, where we went to see "Puss in Boots". I desperately want to finish the Halloween costume I started for the Bebeh. We also saw "Apollo 18" the other day so I should finish Cattus' costume too... Right, FOOD. They used to have a good steak salad there, but last time the meat was nearly raw and it's so dark it's really a pain to eat anything that requires a knife and fork. Plus, salad tends to have slimy bits in it. Even if I can't taste them, just knowing that they lurk on my plate is enough to turn my stomach, so I had a burger. I immediately removed the bun and placed it on the table to contaminate it with greasy rag germs and the cooties from whoever sat there from the early show. I made the mistake of placing one half on the other, so I ended up eating part of it. They have these chewy crispy homemade pretzel buns [hangs head]. I did not finish all the fries. Still, I claim VICTORY!

SATURDAY
    Happy birthday, to me!
    Today I am 43 [hangs head]
    Bfast: bulletproof coffee (all decaf this time)
    Lunch: swiss cheese, moose pate, beets
    Dinner: duck, brocco/cauli/carrot sautee, salad
    Dessert: ice cream
    I didn't really do anything today except not work out and play more video games than usual. But we did go out to dinner. I usually get the mini rack of lamb appetizer, but decided to try duck this time. The skin was lovely and crisp, but otherwise it didn't have that nice gamey duck flavor I was hoping for. I wish someone would take me duck hunting... Anyway, I asked for extra veggies in place of the potatoes that usually come with it.

On this historic day I actually exercised self control! The restaurant serves tiny slices of fresh baguette before dinner. They are tiny slices and it's very tempting to tell yourself "just one", but I just looked away and thought about something else and then I'd forget they were there. but then I'd glance over and the temptation would start again. Finally I moved the plate over to the Hub's side of the table and forgot about it altogether.

Normally, I'd use a birthday as an excuse to go hog-wild, but the depressive episode brought on by the sugar from too many dried cherries and the bloating brought on by the Weekend of Destruction reminded me that what I really want for my birthday is not bloating, depression and fatness, but a new body. If I were more consistently good, then sure, a bday is a great excuse to relax a little and indulge in some forbidden foods. But I do that enough as it is.

That being said, there will be a rather epic cake for dessert when we go see my parents. I know because I'm baking it! I never get to bake anymore so that's the real treat. And the cake should be tasty, i won't go overboard.
    Last edited by ottercat; 01-22-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

PrimalWriter is offline Member
    Our cold is different from the midwest: very dry and no wind. Plus we insulate our houses like the Canadians do and nobody cares if you go around in big ugly winter gear.
    I'm severely acclimated to Florida, of course, so I suspect that has something to do with it

I admit, when I do stir fry veggies, I tend to throw in a little of everything veggie-wise, but a lot of highly seasoned proteins. Love shrimp. I find that with enough fat and seasoning on the protein side, I don't need much of anything else with it. What about grated turnip or cauliflower "rice" to go with it?
    My primal journal: My journey, goals, recipes, random thoughts on primal and SAD.

It's all about the journey. How we get there is at least as important as where we end up.

Happy Birthday! 43 is fabulous, you know....especially a couple years from now, when you'll look back and marvel at how young you were (I swear!).

L-
    My primal journal: My journey, goals, recipes, random thoughts on primal and SAD.

It's all about the journey. How we get there is at least as important as where we end up.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWriter View Post
    I'm severely acclimated to Florida, of course, so I suspect that has something to do with it

I admit, when I do stir fry veggies, I tend to throw in a little of everything veggie-wise, but a lot of highly seasoned proteins. Love shrimp. I find that with enough fat and seasoning on the protein side, I don't need much of anything else with it. What about grated turnip or cauliflower "rice" to go with it?
    I think it was too low-fat... I used enough coconut oil to sautee the veggies, but as moist as the chicken was, it was pretty much fat-free.
    I looove cauli-rice! I should try it with turnips too, good idea!

Cave Woman is offline Senior Member
    Happy Birthday, OtterCat!!! 43 is great, and so are you! I hope it was a wonderful day!

Mine's tomorrow. 55. How'd that happen?
    5'2"
    SW 147 lbs 12/26/11
    CW 122
    Goal weight 115? 120? I'll know when I get there.

"When I've fallen off dietary wagons before, the wagon stops, backs over me and leaves me for dead in the ditch. On PB, I can fall off, hang on with one hand, hold a cookie in the other, throw half away, and get right back on." ~Ottercat

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Happy Birthday!

I remember 43...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWriter View Post
    Happy Birthday! 43 is fabulous, you know....especially a couple years from now, when you'll look back and marvel at how young you were (I swear!).

L-
    Thanks! I know, I'm as young as I'll ever be. I don't feel 43 (and I don't look it), but I keep realizing how many years I've been on this planet. Just the other day I realized a friend's new boyfriend is the son of a guy my brother used to work for. We went to his parents' wedding, and the last time I saw him, he was an infant and I was in high school. AAH! I used to say I'd never been one of those people who said, "I've known you since you were THIS big!" but it keeps happening more and more...

I know--I never feel my age until I a) see that my sister's grandchild is walking and talking (adorable, but when did my sister become a grandmother?) or b) remember something that happened, oh, 20 years ago....and I swear, it just happened yesterday. Happens with the news a LOT.

Back to the stir fry: I think it helps a lot to have a little fat with it--it makes it more filling and makes the cabbage (mine always has cabbage) more savory.

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    Happy Birthday!

I want to know about your moose pate. I was talking to my client/friend up there, recently since he got a moose this year and asked him if he had any liver. He just laughed at me, said they're gross and weigh too much to carry out. But I think it would be worth bringing out enough to make some pate, since pate is awesome.

Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast