Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wife is RIGHT - Otter's Log page 11

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thrift shopping is where it's at. I bought 4 pairs of 'pre-loved' jeans for $20 the other day at the goodwill store. They are actually really nice and not bad at all for $5 a pair.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Wow, you guys have made so much progress! I was really impressed with my 10lb since..........
    I hear ya on the thrift stores. My favorite one is tiny, but the buyer picks really good stuff. Can't beat a MaxStudio shirt for $12!! Besides, the only other places to shop in town are for teenagers, hoochies who'd like to be teenagers or super-expensive technical clothing for all the outdoorsy people
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Consignment stores are even better than thrift stores. I got a pair of $10 Calvin Klein jeans. Just be careful to check the seams; a lot of the time it's cheap because you can only wear it four times before it rips.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I very rarely have a problem with the quality of the clothing I buy from thrifts. I have more problem with shrinkage, poor quality etc. on those few occasions when I shop retail looking for something specific.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    I very rarely have a problem with the quality of the clothing I buy from thrifts. I have more problem with shrinkage, poor quality etc. on those few occasions when I shop retail looking for something specific.
    +1 I look for brand names, like Gap and Old Navy. I don't trust Levi's since Wal-Mart started selling them. (My sister was a manger there; she said the Levi's they sell are crap.) Of course, everything falls apart eventually. But it ticks me off a lot more to have a pair of jeans I bought two years ago die if I paid retail. Thinking about it, I must be really cheap, lol. Even with the knowledge that I can buy myself probably enough pants and skirts to get me through a couple weeks for $50-60, I don't want to pay it if I can't wear them very long.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Greetings from the Southwest!
    Haven't been doing too badly eating-wise considering I'm on vacay. My main cheats were fries (ate the patty out of the burger) after a 3+ hour hike into and out of Bryce Canyon. Hiking at 8000 feet is pretty interesting. I had eggs Benedict w/ salmon instead of bacon for bfast at 11:30 am having gotten up at 5:00 and walking the whole rim trail at the grand canyon. I'm pretty much just eating twice a day, but I may be eating a bit too much at dinner. Got one workout in (bodyweight).

Hopefully I'll maintain this week.

The only problem is that my insomnia is really bad so I'm only sleeping a few hours a night. But I'm not tired during the day and not running on caffeine so that's ok.

I'm baaacckkk!

I actually started out really well on vacation. Hubby was supposed to come with me, then he scheduled something else on top of it, then he cancelled that so he met us in Vegas. Then since he was with me, we stayed one extra day and went to New Jersey for a few days to meet up with some college friends. Food choices went down the tubes once I was with him.... My fault, my choices.

On the plus side, he's agreed to go primal with me!! Since he has Carnation Instant Breakfast for bfast (I tried making him protein shakes and he didn't like them) and lunch is always processed meat food wrapped in a tortilla, "yogurt" drinks and Nutrigrain bars, I think the adjustment will be more complicated for him. He does, however, like casseroles to take to lunch. I tried the Pizza Clafouti recipe and it was pretty fantastic so I can make a lot of stuff like that. Plus the guy eats his veggies.

My reasoning is that we're too fat. We both work out and are "pretty healthy", but over 40 anything that might impair your fertility probably counts against you. Had another FSH test and the numbers were "great". Plus, I saw the pictures from vacation and I look really terrible. I'm sick of cringing at photos of myself.

In Vegas we saw "Zumanity" and the bodies were inspiring. In particular the girl with the long red hair (she's in a lot of the ads) looked great. She wasn't as lean as the others and she looked curvy and feminine, but it was because her legs and butt were really muscular without being all shredded. The gal in "The House Bunny" looks like that too (yes I have awesome taste in movies).

Anyway, immediately after getting home I came down with the flu and was flattened all week. Food choices weren't great bc I didn't have much appetite or enthusiasm for cooking or food. I drank about a quart of bone broth, which is about as fast food as it gets. I weighed myself this morning (dinner with parents last night) and I was still under 130! This week's mission is to eat more veggies!

Bfast: 3 grilled chicken wings (lotsa bones collected, almost time for more bone broth), coffee with sugar (drat!) and cream
    Lunch: big salad w/ 2 boiled eggs
    "Dinner": 3 pieces of cheddar, coffee
    Last edited by ottercat; 08-23-2011 at 01:19 PM.

still a little sick, so not much appetite. However, el Hubbo is home (yay!) so I'll have to cook dinner (boo!)

Yesterday some former team mates asked me if I wanted to bench-manage my old team (roller derby) for an upcoming bout so I went to scrimmage practice. It was fun to see everyone again. The head ref pounced on me and tried to convince me I want to be a ref. I've kind of been debating whether or not to be a rec skater (non-rostered, i.e. no attendance requirements).

If I was a ref, I could attend any practice I wanted to, not have to hit and have access to the skate court on free-skate days. On the downside reffing looks HARD, you have to pay attention to all the chaos and be able to remember instantly 1) the violation 2) the penalty for said violation 3) the hand signal for both 4) on skates!

It's not any safer either. I remember one time I got hit really hard to the inside of the track. As I was barrel-rolling across the floor I saw stripes, but there was nothing I could do to stop. I took the ref out at the ankles and hit him/her so hard they went flying and didn't even land on me. Also, I'm not very loud and I have a feeling nobody would be able to hear me call penalties.

I haven't found a new sport yet, my old taekwondo school closed down, so maybe I should go back to derby in one form or another...

Bfast: 2 eggs, cheddar, coffee, kombucha
    Lunch: Napa Valley Chicken Salad. I was planning on heading home a little early and taking a nap (still sicky) but then we were invited to a movie this evening so I have to stay in my office until then. I have no food with me (since I increased the size of my meals and spaced them apart I have no need for snacks!) so I had to eat at the cafe. It was shockingly GOOD: mixed baby greens, tarragon chicken salad, walnuts, grapes, apples. The dressing was a little sugary. I'm going to keep chicken salad in mind next time I make mayo!
    Dinner: chicken caesar salad. Our 2nd run theatre is awesome because you can get tasty bar food (killer sirloin salad!) and beer/wine for dinner while you watch your movie and it's still probably cheaper than a regular movie + popcorn + liter of cola. We saw "The Hangover Part II"
    Dessert: an el Hubbo-sized glass of red wine. I screamed "I can't drink all that!" after he poured it, but y'know.... I did (Layer Cake Primitivo: F$@K YEAH!)
    Last edited by ottercat; 08-24-2011 at 11:58 AM.

JpGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hi ottercat, thanks for dropping by my journal and great idea about making my own jerky - I will give it a go at the weekend. It's cool to have a hobby that involves meat! I'll check by every now and then to say hi - keep up the good work!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

This morning was very nearly a breakfast fail because I didn't cook anything yesterday and I didn't have time to make an omelet. However, I was able to scrounge! *pats self on back*. I think I do better weight-loss-wise when I don't IF and eat largish, widely spaced meals.
    Bfast: jerky, carrots, 3 slices cheddar, a few nuts, Tanka bar, coffee w/ cream + stevia
    Lunch: buffalo burger in big salad, iced coffee w/ coconut
    Dinner: pizza clafouti, red cabbage slaw w/ homemade mayo, coconut cream w/ cacao nibs + stevia, red wine

Activity: 45m walk

Heh heh heh. Is it mean to think "she deserves it" secretly to myself because she's worried that a movie which glorifies exercise might make her 10 year old anorexic?
    Last edited by ottercat; 08-25-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast