Page 99 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 49899798991001011091491995991099 ... LastLast

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 99

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    I am usually in bed around 10pm, and read for an hour or two (long time habit) and have been waking aournd 5:30 to 7:30. As I have mentioned several times this has been a huge improvement to get uninterrupted sleep. I do have to quit drinking anything by 7p or I have the 2-3a bathroom trip, but at least now I will go right back to sleep. I never had trouble going to sleep, for which I credit my reading habit, but I would wake 2-3a and be wide awake.

My main interest in the whole LR issue is to see if the reset improves sleep. I don't have a weight issue at this point, have had a clean primarily primal diet for the lask year, have had years of poor sleep - I fall asleep easily and then often have a few hours in the middle of the night awake. Since reading up some on bi-phasic sleep, I have grown more relaxed while awake at night, but that sound sleep seems continually elusive. It would be a miracle to feel like I could reliably sleep really soundly.

A couple of interesting data points: Since trying to regularly get a big protein hit first thing in the morning (for the past week maybe; probably not hitting 50 g) and being religious about not snacking, I have been sleeping better I think and sleeping a bit later in the morning. Then last Sunday I didn't eat anything for breakfast, did a morning workout, and then had lunch. That night was one of the poorest night's sleep in a long while.

Don't know what it means, haven't tested for Leptin resistance, but it is curious.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    My main interest in the whole LR issue is to see if the reset improves sleep. I don't have a weight issue at this point, have had a clean primarily primal diet for the lask year, have had years of poor sleep - I fall asleep easily and then often have a few hours in the middle of the night awake. Since reading up some on bi-phasic sleep, I have grown more relaxed while awake at night, but that sound sleep seems continually elusive. It would be a miracle to feel like I could reliably sleep really soundly.

A couple of interesting data points: Since trying to regularly get a big protein hit first thing in the morning (for the past week maybe; probably not hitting 50 g) and being religious about not snacking, I have been sleeping better I think and sleeping a bit later in the morning. Then last Sunday I didn't eat anything for breakfast, did a morning workout, and then had lunch. That night was one of the poorest night's sleep in a long while.

Don't know what it means, haven't tested for Leptin resistance, but it is curious.
    I did a sleep study after four years of not getting more than four hours per night, and they concluded I had biphasic or polyphasic sleep, but even when I could get the sleep at 5am for a couple hours, after I retired, it was not restful to me. If you don't feel well rested then the sleep is not good enough. I've done everything, including sleeping pills, but not until I started this leptin reset did my sleep improve--which happened by the third day. I avoid computers, tv, ipad in the evening in bed, too, since all that light can affect the brain's normal patterns.
    Read Dr. Kruse's blog post on LR and sleep.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSL View Post
    Do you mind if I ask why you are restricting your calories so severely?
    Quote Originally Posted by RSL View Post
    I just started BBS a few weeks ago and have done three sessions so far. I'm coming off a shoulder injury and was unable to lift for the past 6 months, so I am starting from scratch.

How long have you been doing BBS and how is it working for you?

I know that we are not supposed to be exercising during the reset, but I only lift for 15 minutes once per week, which I will start doing after dinner on that day. Does anyone think this small amount will hurt the reset in any way?
    I'm restricting calories because not doing so has produced no weightloss. 1800 is maintenance for me if I'm more active, 1500 in maintenance when I'm not (like lately I've been tired with allergies and not active at all). So, 1350 isn't a huge deficit for me and I don't feel hungry or deprived at all at that level, in fact I often feel quite stuffed.

I've been doing BBS for almost a year now. It is the only lifting protocol that has ever given me results. I really recommend it. It also works great for me with my chronic fatigue. It seems to keep my adrenals healthy, I feel better afterwards than before (not true of almost any other activity). I have increased dramatically in strength. Without actually looking it up, I think I started my squat @ around 80# and I'm now up to 160# (since last August). All around I can see my muscle growing and I can feel myself getting stronger all the time. I still have a long ways to go I think, since I had lost a ton of muscle from adrenal stress, nursing, vegetarian/veganism, and years of inactivity due to fatigue. I think in a year I might be where I should be if I'd been healthy all these years. I kept having to add more time between sessions, don't do your next workout till you feel pumped and ready for it and add more time if you didn't increase weight each time. I do mine every 10-14 days now. I also don't think a BBS workout should get in the way of the reset.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    I did a sleep study after four years of not getting more than four hours per night, and they concluded I had biphasic or polyphasic sleep, but even when I could get the sleep at 5am for a couple hours, after I retired, it was not restful to me. If you don't feel well rested then the sleep is not good enough. I've done everything, including sleeping pills, but not until I started this leptin reset did my sleep improve--which happened by the third day. I avoid computers, tv, ipad in the evening in bed, too, since all that light can affect the brain's normal patterns.
    Read Dr. Kruse's blog post on LR and sleep.
    Thanks Digby. I just re-read the Kruse blog post you mentioned. Kinda dense stuff. the link with apnea is interesting. I definitely have sleep apnea, which doesn't seem linked to weight at all in my case. Intriguing. I will keep experimenting with this to see how I respond. Have Mastering Leptin on order and eager to read it.

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I'm restricting calories because not doing so has produced no weightloss. 1800 is maintenance for me if I'm more active, 1500 in maintenance when I'm not (like lately I've been tired with allergies and not active at all). So, 1350 isn't a huge deficit for me and I don't feel hungry or deprived at all at that level, in fact I often feel quite stuffed.
    For myself, I found that I could maintain my weight on 1100 cals, if they were high carb and low fat. But I could also maintain my weight on 2000 cals, if they were low carb and high fat. I suppose you have experimented with upping your fat. Right now, mine is around 75% of my total calories, which are over 2000.

I've been doing BBS for almost a year now. It is the only lifting protocol that has ever given me results. I really recommend it. It also works great for me with my chronic fatigue. It seems to keep my adrenals healthy, I feel better afterwards than before (not true of almost any other activity). I have increased dramatically in strength. Without actually looking it up, I think I started my squat @ around 80# and I'm now up to 160# (since last August). All around I can see my muscle growing and I can feel myself getting stronger all the time. I still have a long ways to go I think, since I had lost a ton of muscle from adrenal stress, nursing, vegetarian/veganism, and years of inactivity due to fatigue. I think in a year I might be where I should be if I'd been healthy all these years. I kept having to add more time between sessions, don't do your next workout till you feel pumped and ready for it and add more time if you didn't increase weight each time. I do mine every 10-14 days now. I also don't think a BBS workout should get in the way of the reset.
    Starting your squat at 80# is pretty impressive. I started mine at 23#. After three sessions, I am up to 24.5#. If I do not reach failure with each lift, I increase the weight the next time.

I'm glad that I can keep this up during the reset. I just got started and it would be so frustrating to have to stop again, after being off for over six months!
    Last edited by RSL; 07-13-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

wylde_child is offline Member
    Has anyone else been having issues with anxiety during the reset? For the last 2 to 3 days I've been easily startled and right now I feel terribly anxious and jittery. It feels like my adrenals are working overtime. I've been doing the reset for about 2 1/2 weeks.

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde_child View Post
    Has anyone else been having issues with anxiety during the reset? For the last 2 to 3 days I've been easily startled and right now I feel terribly anxious and jittery. It feels like my adrenals are working overtime. I've been doing the reset for about 2 1/2 weeks.
    I did, it got really really bad and I had to stop the reset. I don't know if it was the food, the timing or just the added attention toward how I was eating - but IMO it just was not worth it. I have bipolar and I didn't feel like it was worth triggering a full on depression, so I've stopped... day three since stopping and the anxiety is decreasing a bit (I've upped carbs significantly...)
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde_child View Post
    No. Calm as a clam.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    anxiety comes from liver leptin resistance. That is Leptin Part deux. 60% of your serotonin is locked into the gut. Doing a leptin reset effects your gut and the enterochromaffin cells where serotonin lives. The other 40% is in pineal.......for sleep. Quitting that soon is not a good option.

wylde_child is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    anxiety comes from liver leptin resistance. That is Leptin Part deux. 60% of your serotonin is locked into the gut. Doing a leptin reset effects your gut and the enterochromaffin cells where serotonin lives. The other 40% is in pineal.......for sleep. Quitting that soon is not a good option.
    So are you saying that this is just a stage in the reset and that I should hang in there and that this too shall pass?