Page 91 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 418189909192931011411915911091 ... LastLast

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 91

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    hey horsewoman, i recently had an Ah Ha! moment with the idea that the feeling of hunger i get was actually thirst. just for kicks next time you are feeling hungry try drinking some water instead. you might be surprised that you can make it to dinner without the snack if you drink enough
    Yeah that's a good one to remember. I drink about 5 pints of water a day and am pretty well attuned with thirst but it can catch people out. However, thirst doesn't make you hypoglycemic does it lol.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Cortisol is interesting. I read up on pregnenolone steal and wondered if that is the mechanism the body uses to stop/ reduce fertility in times of high stress. I know when I was at my worst with gluten I stopped ovulating some months and had 6 weeks cycles. Went back to normal very quickly once I stopped gluten.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    Yeah that's a good one to remember. I drink about 5 pints of water a day and am pretty well attuned with thirst but it can catch people out. However, thirst doesn't make you hypoglycemic does it lol.
    lol yeah i guess not. i use to get the shakes when i didnt eat asuming that is what you mean by hypoglycemic. havent gotten them since going primal. are you still eating stuff with sugar in it?

for whatever its worth i drink 5 LITERS of water a day
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    OT @Sue, re:BUN. My husband's BUN was 24 (healthy range ended at 20). He naturally, all his life, has eaten nearly primal (hated most grains and sweets, loved meats & fat & veggies, etc.), is very lean, and is very strong. His cholesterol #'s are great. We can't make head nor tails out of this number. He did have shingles (a very, very mild case following a week of super stress at work) about 5 months before the blood draw, but I don't know if that's enough "stress" to cause a high BUN reading?

His hematocrit is negligibly high (.6 above the range), MCHC is low (30 where 32-36 is normal), platelets are low (24 where 40-415 is normal), and every thing else in the bloodwork is great. Do you know anything about what these might indicate? Does it have anything to do with leptin? He's *very* lean, possibly "too thin" in the mirror test, but again, eats great, is very strong, and very healthy.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    His hematocrit is negligibly high (.6 above the range), MCHC is low (30 where 32-36 is normal), platelets are low (24 where 40-415 is normal), and every thing else in the bloodwork is great. Do you know anything about what these might indicate? Does it have anything to do with leptin? He's *very* lean, possibly "too thin" in the mirror test, but again, eats great, is very strong, and very healthy.
    Low platelets can be a side effect of some meds. Mine went low this year when I was on antibiotics for a while after a surgery.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    He's not on any meds. Thanks!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Vkiernan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    With a low T and D you must get a salivary cortisol level.......if its up you have pregnenlone steal and this also completely explains the low thyroid. Read my Hormone 101 post to understand it in context. High cortisol is a terrible thing to have.
    Thank you very much Dr. Kruse. I live in WI and you are in Tennesse. I so wish you were closer cuz I'd be knocking on your door for sure. I will reread it once again. I have read it many times already. I am an acct. not in med field and it is tough but I keep getting little bits by bit. I will see what I can do about the the salivary cortisol test.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Your BUN is high (normal 7-17).
    Increased BUN levels suggest impaired kidney function. This may be due to acute or chronic kidney disease, damage, or failure. It may also be due to a condition that results in decreased blood flow to the kidneys, such as congestive heart failure, shock, stress, recent heart attack, or severe burns, to conditions that cause obstruction of urine flow, or to dehydration.

BUN concentrations may be elevated when there is excessive protein breakdown (catabolism), significantly increased protein in the diet, or gastrointestinal bleeding (because of the proteins present in the blood).

Low BUN levels are not common and are not usually a cause for concern. They may be seen in severe liver disease, malnutrition, and sometimes when a patient is overhydrated (too much fluid volume), but the BUN test is not usually used to diagnose or monitor these conditions.

Both decreased and increased BUN concentrations may be seen during a normal pregnancy.
    BUN: The Test | Blood Urea Nitrogen
    Thanks Sue. One more avenue to explore. Sounds a bit scary. I am trying not to be stressed over this as my last 30 yrs have been pretty much all stress.. On the verge of just flying to Tennesse to get reall answers and results from Dr. Kruse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vkiernan View Post
    Thanks Sue. One more avenue to explore. Sounds a bit scary. I am trying not to be stressed over this as my last 30 yrs have been pretty much all stress.. On the verge of just flying to Tennesse to get reall answers and results from Dr. Kruse.
    I hope I misunderstood and you were referring to the lady above. Whew, that scared me. Guess I didn't read far enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Thanks. The fact that your new doc knows to use bio-identical hormones for meds is a very good sign. I think you are on track..

Some homework..

Dr Kruse's answer made me realize that I forgot to mention cortisol, that goes with low test and adrenal issues too. Here are 2 Dr Kruse blog entries you want to read-

Dr Kruse's Hormones 101
    Hormones, leptin, cortisol, adrenal resistance, Cenegenic Medical Institute, Robb Wolf | Jack Kruse

This one talks about cortisol and how it relates to other problems, thyroid issues, all that...

One of the causes of high cortisol, besides stress, is taking Synthroid. This is what happened to me, but my doc explained it differently.

Also-
    This one is about adrenal fatigue, low testosterone, DHEA and vitamin D, all that.

WHAT CASEY ANTHONY AND OJ HAVE IN COMMON, ADRENAL FATIGUE RECOVERY | Jack Kruse

All this sounds really familiar since I went through this already. The explanations were not the same, but that's OK. Ask 10 doctors that know this stuff what is going on, and you get 10 different answers.

My doc warned that working with cortisol is very complex. Mine was high and I had a big cortisol belly to show for it. Then my adrenals stopped and cortisol went low. We had to work on getting the adrenals working again, and I took cortisol for a while too.*

I told some body builders I was taking test and cortisol, and they went "WTF!? Who ever heard of taking an anabolic steroid and a catabolic steroid at the same time?" whatever, it worked. They saw the weight melt off and couldn't argue with that.
    So, you think I have a chance that my new doc will get it? My gyno told me my adrenals are fine. But she also told me I wasn't hypo. This is so confusing and frustrating. I am having a really depressed day and am so tired of having them. It just compounds everything. The levo is clearly not helping this part of it. To be down in mood for over 3 yrs is way too long. I (like I've said before) just want to feel happy again.

Keep up with the leptin reset diet or not? I have read all of the above but it is taking a lot of time to absorb and understand. I think my hubby thinks I am crazy by now. I tell him all this stuff and he says just don't become hypocondriac. WTF???? Definately not as supportive as I need him to be.