Page 601 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 10150155159159960060160260361165170111011601 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,010 of 21865

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 601

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now

So...seems to be a large amount of extra oil after cooking...do ya'll pour this extra on top of the eggs or use something to eat it or just throw it out? Considering how expensive it is...I'm thinking I'll eat it..not sure how I would rather go about it though. Also I noticed with this Nutiva Unrefined that it seems to sputter more than the Spectrum Refined.

Should I lower the temperature I have been cooking between a 3-4 but with the new oil it pops a bit. Is that a bad thing?
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 09-09-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

ogella is offline Junior Member
    I'm a 39 year old female and in week 2 of the reset. I've read the leptin posts and comments at Dr. K's blog and up to pg. 51 of this behemoth thread.

I have a Drs appt next week to get my "before" stats. I know 100% for sure that I am LR (based on extreme obesity), so I don't really need that "diagnosed", but can someone help confirm all of the lab tests I should ask for so that I can track my progress? Here is my list thus far:

Chem 20
    Thyroid Panel
    Lipid Panel
    Hormone Panel
    Reverse T3
    Omega 6:3 Ratio
    Salivary Coritsol
    HS CRP

tidmutt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post

So...seems to be a large amount of extra oil after cooking...do ya'll pour this extra on top of the eggs or use something to eat it or just throw it out? Considering how expensive it is...I'm thinking I'll eat it..not sure how I would rather go about it though. Also I noticed with this Nutiva Unrefined that it seems to sputter more than the Spectrum Refined.

Should I lower the temperature I have been cooking between a 3-4 but with the new oil it pops a bit. Is that a bad thing?
    Damn that looks good. Can I have some?

I generally don't eat it, although sometimes I fry other stuff in it. This morning I threw in some cold pork chop left overs and heated them up that way, tasty. Honestly, if I do bacon in the coconut oil there is so much fat left over I think I'd puke if I ate it all. Recently I've been hanging onto the bacon grease for my wife to use in some primal recipes.

I'm by no means an expert on this but I just avoid letting the oil smoke which I assume means it's oxidizing, just popping I would think is not a big deal.
    Last edited by tidmutt; 09-09-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Donnn is offline Senior Member

You don't want to cook eggs fast anyways. Popping is just water. What you don't want is to smoke the oil. At your weight/age you may be satisfied with about 2 or 3 tablespoons of fat per meal. I don't see that consuming extra oil is doing you any good if your not hungry and feeling good between meals.

That's one tablespoon of oil I'm cooking with by the way..not sure why I forgot to mention the amount...it might be more like 1.1 or 1.2 tablespoons...I didn't round off the edge but I did use an actually measuring tablespoon and not one of those metal ones

Are you talking about 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter/coconut oil? You aren't talking about total including the fat in the meat/eggs right? I'm hesitant to eat any more oil than one tablespoon...I'd probably just eat it separate on the tablespoon if I decided to do that...because there would be a large amount extra if i were to put that much in the pan considering how much left over there was with just 1 tablespoon.

I have a 10.00 an hour job at Walgreens and I don't feel like spending tons on food...44.00 for coconut oil sounded like a ton but I got it because of how good its supposed to be. I don't really care for the coconut taste but I think I can get used to it. I would continue using the Spectrum refined, but I'm under the impression you lose out on good things using refined. This may be not true...I haven't seen anything conclusive one way or another on that, but I thought the Nutiva wasn't bad so I'll stick with it for now.

I wish it were easy to figure out what it would cost to buy all the food I need...I don't even have a clue how much of what I should buy. I'm probably not eating as much as I should at this point, but I don't currently have my own transportation and internet buying everything..not sure I feel like doing that.

Oh by the way ...anyone have any good recommendations for yogurts/kefir I can buy online or in the west texas area..if anyone lives in this area ...not sure if anyone does or not sorta curious about that. I'd also like some good pickles for fermented foods to build my gut bacteria because I'm not a lover of sauerkraut. I like pickles and yogurt ...haven't tried kefir but I'm willing to.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 09-09-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Vkiernan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobirdy View Post
    Are you eating swiss chard or beet greens. When I eat them, I can knock tarter off my teeth.
    No, but lots of vinegar in my creamed cukes. Been eating them for a few weeks now. Maybe the vinegar takes care of tarter like it does lime.

tidmutt is offline Senior Member
    That's one tablespoon of oil I'm cooking with by the way..not sure why I forgot to mention the amount...it might be more like 1.1 or 1.2 tablespoons...I didn't round off the edge but I did use an actually measuring tablespoon and not one of those metal ones

Are you talking about 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter/coconut oil? You aren't talking about total including the fat in the meat/eggs right? I'm hesitant to eat any more oil than one tablespoon...I'd probably just eat it separate on the tablespoon if I decided to do that...because there would be a large amount extra if i were to put that much in the pan considering how much left over there was with just 1 tablespoon.

I have a 10.00 an hour job at Walgreens and I don't feel like spending tons on food...44.00 for coconut oil sounded like a ton but I got it because of how good its supposed to be. I don't really care for the coconut taste but I think I can get used to it. I would continue using the Spectrum refined, but I'm under the impression you lose out on good things using refined. This may be not true...I haven't seen anything conclusive one way or another on that, but I thought the Nutiva wasn't bad so I'll stick with it for now.

I wish it were easy to figure out what it would cost to buy all the food I need...I don't even have a clue how much of what I should buy. I'm probably not eating as much as I should at this point, but I don't currently have my own transportation and internet buying everything..not sure I feel like doing that.
    Where do you get your Nutiva? I'm not sure the amount that you got for $44 but my wife recently purchased two 15oz jars of nutiva Coconut Oil for $15 from Amazon. If we were willing to subscribe to regular deliveries we could have picked it up for $12.

I suppose one option if you want to cut back on waste is to use less, perhaps half a tablespoon will be sufficient?

Vkiernan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Nothing bad about the vinegar itself, it's just that canned veggies are a poor imitation of lacto-fermented veggies. They're literally an imitation - my understanding is that canning came about when factories tried to replicate popular foods and realized that fermenting was too inconsistent and too time-consuming (and too possible to screw it up - I can look and be sure my ferment isn't off before jarring it; they were sure to miss some), and also realized that vinegar replicated the tartness and the preservation of fermentation (while losing the probiotic benefits, and actively killing many nutrients by the boiling required for super-safety).

Hang in there, tidmutt! Happy weaning!
    No canning, just soaking for the day to make them. Is that ok?

Nutiva.com and it was a gallon with a coupon code for 10 dollars off. I eat 4 eggs with the one tablespoon oil 1/4 to 1/3 cup cheese 1/3 cup sausage crumbles..probably not the best as its processed food, but haven't looked into buying sausage to add to them as its convenient to use the Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles. Does that not sound like enough? Also Dr. Kruse mentioned eating most of the carbohydrates...in the morning. I'd love to hear ideas on what carbohydrates would be best.

I don't really like mushrooms that much but I suppose I could stomach them to add something good for me to the eggs. Maybe cook them in butter before adding them to the eggs..I think they were better cooked beforehand when I tried it once. Also I use onion powder...are onion flakes/onion tons better or does onion powder have most of the nutrients in the others?

I also use garlic and black pepper. Should I add on a side salad of lettuce and other stuff or something? I think my protein amount is a bit less than 50, but I'm not sure what to add more eggs or would more sausage or some other meat source be better? Not that I can really do too the reset like I need to since I'm working overnights at least for now. I'm going to be moving in a few months and hope to get a new job or a job at another Walgreens but without the overnights after I get to the Lewisville-Dallas, Texas area

Even if I do my shift will probably stay as 4-12 ...not sure if that even works with the reset as I'll be getting off later than the bed time should be for the reset. I'd like to be as optimal as I can be with that schedule though so I'm trying to at least improve my eating even if I can't get optimal sleep schedule.

Oh by the way ...anyone have any good recommendations for yogurts/kefir I can buy online or in the west texas area..if anyone lives in this area ...not sure if anyone does or not sorta curious about that. I'd also like some good pickles for fermented foods to build my gut bacteria because I'm not a lover of sauerkraut. I like pickles and yogurt ...haven't tried kefir but I'm willing to.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 09-09-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: reposted question about fermented foods
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087

Dextery is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tidmutt View Post
    Where do you get your Nutiva? I'm not sure the amount that you got for $44 but my wife recently purchased two 15oz jars of nutiva Coconut Oil for $15 from Amazon. If we were willing to subscribe to regular deliveries we could have picked it up for $12.

I suppose one option if you want to cut back on waste is to use less, perhaps half a tablespoon will be sufficient?
    You can get 54 oz of Nutiva Coconut oil from swansonsvitamins.com or vitacost.com or vitamineshoppe.com for about 24 dollars a jar each. Last one is a couple of dollars cheaper.
    Most have free shipping with $49 purchase and I think vitaminshoppe is free shipping for over $25 purchase right now.

I use daily about 6 tablespoons of CO a day...cook eggs in the am and then panfry beef steaks, lamb, liver, chicken in coconut oil in the evening. Make coconut oil as your best brain food for leptin reset and for the rest of your body.