Page 53 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455631031535531053 ... LastLast

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 53

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    Depends......if you lift heavy and exercise a lot you will eat more......if your less active you will begin to eat a lot less and you will lean out.
    I've gone back to lifting heavy 3x/week from just basic body weight exercises and I run or walk 2-3x/week depending on how hot it is, and if I can squeeze one in. I'm building muscle, as I've seen an increase in the circumfrence of my biceps by .5" in the past month. Even when working out I'm just not hungry - maybe I'm eating the right amount... b/c by the time my next meal comes around I am hungry - just not ravenous. I wonder if the limited hunger + the working out - means as I become LS the fat stores are beginning to be tapped by my body???? does that make sense?

thanks so much for answering all the questions on here!

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    Hypothetically speaking since I dont treat patients over the internet......I do not advocate the use of SSRI because they have never been shown to be efficacious. I do like 5HTP and SAMe but again your doc needs to help you navigate that maze. Most docs rely on Rx drugs......I thinking weaning from most suits people best. Again you must aks your doc some good questions and you may receive the insight your asking me here. I do this stuff daily in my clinic and it causes me pangs there too because many times I am not on the same page with the PCP who referred the patient to me. But I have to advocate what the science and clinical parameters dictate. I cant know all those issues with a person over the net. But my advice to you is read between the lines and start asking some pointed questions and you will get the doctor you need when they change or you realize your barking up the wrong tree.
    Oh, I'm sorry, I know you don't know me....hope I didn't offend or assumed too much in my request. Just was very curious about wether the drugs I mentioned interfered with leptin and/or leptin reset........and if they would stall a person's progress or not. NOT looking for any suggestions about dropping/adding things....

My primary doc has no solutions for me, other than to do the typical "healthy whole grain" SAD diet and exercise program! Just stick with it they say!
    At least they don't comment on my primal eating, but know NOTHING about it at all, or supplementing, or anything I ask about. Don't even want to ask about leptin, can't imagine they know anything either. They are just there to give my antibiotics if I have had a cold for too long, test my blood so they can prescribe statins (they love to prescribe this for everyone), and move on to the next patient. A partial rant? So sorry....

It seems like lately the only help I get is from my own scientific tests on what works for me and what doesn't, by getting ideas from the VERY NICE folks around here. Also help from my father-in-law, who is a psychiatrist and was a surgeon at one time. He experiments with all kinds of anti-drug therapies. I just wish he knew more about primal.....but he is getting there!

Thanks for the response, didn't mean to share too much or offend!
    Last edited by EvansMom; 07-06-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    The only "depression" I've had was from loss of energy. Loss of energy isn't uncommon, especially when eating VLC. Keep some coconut oil in a container with you at all times and when you feel an energy dip, eat a spoonful. It does help. Instead of eating starchy carbs for an energy boost, you need to look at fats for that and coconut oil is an easy fix. It does take awhile to get used to the idea of noshing on a spoonful of fat, but you will notice a difference almost immediately.

You also need to remember that as we are women, our bodies want to fight us on depleting our fat stores. Just give it time. Anything worth doing takes time and remember, we are a work in progress.
    Yeah, it was the loss of energy "depression" that I was referring to. Finally read all of this thread (new to this idea).....I will try coconut oil if this is a problem. Hopefully this will work wonders for my *possible* leptin resistance.

Do you stick to a strict 25 g or less of carbs a day? Or do more than that? Was curious, intrigued by all your successes.....as well as for others! Yeah for you girls/guys!
    Last edited by EvansMom; 07-06-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Keep some coconut oil in a container with you at all times and when you feel an energy dip, eat a spoonful. It does help. Instead of eating starchy carbs for an energy boost, you need to look at fats for that and coconut oil is an easy fix. It does take awhile to get used to the idea of noshing on a spoonful of fat, but you will notice a difference almost immediately.
    i tried a spoonful of coconut oil awhile ago and i thought it was disgusting by itself. took me 3 days to get the oil taste out of my mouth.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvansMom View Post
    Yeah, it was the loss of energy "depression" that I was referring to. Finally read all of this thread (new to this idea).....I will try coconut oil if this is a problem. Hopefully this will work wonders for my *possible* leptin resistance.

Do you stick to a strict 25 g or less of carbs a day? Or do more than that? Was curious, intrigued by all your successes.....as well as for others! Yeah for you girls/guys!
    I don't measure my carbs particularly well so I will gander a guess and say that I'm in the 30 under range.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i tried a spoonful of coconut oil awhile ago and i thought it was disgusting by itself. took me 3 days to get the oil taste out of my mouth.
    Is it refined or unrefined? You want unrefined. It has a buttery coconut taste.
    Georgette

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Is it refined or unrefined? You want unrefined. It has a buttery coconut taste.
    shoot, i do not know. does it say on the can?

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Hi EvansMom -

I used to take SSRI antidepressants before I was primal. I was in counseling at the time, and as I started dealing with some of the underlying emotional issues and noticed I was feeling much better I started having side effects from the meds - like all of a sudden the dose was "too strong". My counselor told me that as my serotonin level improved, partly from reducing my stressful and negative thoughts, I would become aware that my antidepressant dose was too high and that would cue me in to start decreasing the dose. And so I gradually tapered off the meds as my mental health improved, guided completely by how I was feeling, especially physically.

If you are struggling with symptoms of anxiety and depression, no need to quit the meds cold turkey. Take the time to let the primal diet/leptin reset whatever you are doing to help heal your underlying biochemistry. Supplementing with some good fish oil or cod liver oil helps in the anxiety department. I took a TBSP per day of cod liver oil. Now I only take it about 3 times a week. Get outside in the natural light 30 - 60 min per day. Get a good night's sleep every night. Find some way to deal with your stress - cortisol makes depression much worse.

I have been primal since feb 2010 and it improved my mood a lot. I have been doing the leptin thing for just the past month or so and since I have been doing it, I find my feelings of well being and my energy levels are even better! Low fat diets with veg oils definitely contribute to depression. It takes a while to heal. take care!

@geostump: thanks!

Well, here goes! Leptin experiment for at least 6 weeks. Will *try* to eat 25 g per day carbs, but certainly under 50 grams. Since I usually eat under 150 g/day that is going to be big for me.
    Last edited by EvansMom; 07-06-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    shoot, i do not know. does it say on the can?
    Should say so on the front.

I like the refined for cooking as it has no coconut taste to it.
    Georgette