Page 4 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 2345614541045041004 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 21866

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 4

  1. #31
    cnico's Avatar
    cnico is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Right, I was skipping back and forth between rule #2, (no snacking) and rule #4 (high protein breakfast), and messed that up.

    I also didn't mention that they like whey protein isolate for breakfast, which I totally disagree with. I think that is why my trigs jumped up at my last checkup.
    I read on Mercola's site that whey protein isolate is made differently from whey protein concentrate... and he strongly recommends against the isolate but strong recommends the concentrate. I wonder if that perhaps affected your triglycerides?

    I just started whey protein concentrate shakes a few weeks ago and absolutely love them... a friend in Houston who is 350 lbs and about to get a gastric sleeve operations said his dr's office told him that he will be on shakes only for a week or two prior to surgery in order to "shrink his liver to make surgery easier"... He also told them he's had troubles getting into ketosis in the past when he tried the Atkins diet and he was only eating protein... and the nurse said "you will definitely get into ketosis with the shakes...." So they can't be all bad.

    The Eades' recommend 2 shakes a day for a 30-day kick start... but I'm not sure how they relate to LR. I was planning to continue my shake in the morning and add in protein... but not so sure now.

  2. #32
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by cnico View Post
    .. He also told them he's had troubles getting into ketosis in the past when he tried the Atkins diet and he was only eating protein... and the nurse said "you will definitely get into ketosis with the shakes...." So they can't be all bad.

    The Eades' recommend 2 shakes a day for a 30-day kick start... but I'm not sure how they relate to LR. I was planning to continue my shake in the morning and add in protein... but not so sure now.
    I wouldn't make any good/bad conclusions based on what some nurse said! She might not know a triglyceride from a tricycle. I used to see a doc for my thyroid, and I knew mine were sky high and she didn't. I wanted them added to my blood test so she could see and help me understand what that had to do with it. "That has nothing to do with it," she said. I added them to my lab sheet myself and that got her attention.

    I guess the only way to really know is go for it and look at trigs at your next blood test, assuming you are getting them once in a while. My trigs are still in range, but they doubled last time and the WPI was the only explanation I have. They used to be off the chart, and I got them down to 65, and they jumped back up to 105. I just didn't like that.

  3. #33
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    I have been doing a ton of reading since starting this primal journey. I love that I am reading out of my comfrot zone of knowledge and exercising my brain such a perk to the journey.

    Jack Kruse's blog - Jack Kruse, and in particular the leptin information has really resonated. I decided to experiment and try to reset my leptin sensitivity. I will be blogging all about the experience, along with what I eat, pics, thoughts, results, etc every evening on my blog Kymma's Combobulation. The first post will be published this evening after dinner for those of you who may be interested.

    A short recap of what the program is as I understand it:

    For 6-8 weeks follow a strict paleo diet as follows:
    Eat 50g of protein (little to no carbs) within 30 minutes of waking
    Limit carbs to 50g a day
    Eat 3 meals a day, no snacking especially past 7:30pm
    Meal timing should be roughly 6:30am, noon and 6:30pm
    Stop all aerobic exercise
    Begin weight training when the answers to these questions are all yes:
    Do you notice you sweat more and have less muscle fatigue when you do exercise now?
    Have your carb cravings gone away?
    Is your hunger under control now?
    And are you waking up more refreshed? (from my Whole30 experience, I expect this to be end of week 2 or by mid-week 3)
    Oooh I got all excited when I saw this thread, as I am pretty sure I am leptin resistant. However, I have already pretty much done this (100% primal, low carb, 3 meals a day, big proteiny breakfast, no aerobic exercise, yoga and LHT. It did stabilise my blood sugar but apart from that the only other change was my serotonin level dropped due to being too low carb. Although I didn't complete a full 8 weeks of it, as the low serotonin caused awful PMS time cravings. I've had to add in quite a lot more paleo crabs, as the depression was having a bigger impact on my life than the weight and hunger does.

    Grrrr and (sorry, very fed up at the moment, can't heal plantar fasciitis so can't even walk much, basically am becoming disabled due to my weight).
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 06-16-2011 at 06:03 AM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

  4. #34
    Kymma's Avatar
    Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    639
    Oh plantar fascititis sucks!!!! My husband had it and the stretches and a frozen water bottle helped a lot. Hope you get better soon. Maybe you should get that reverse T3 blood test to find out if it truly is leptin resistance?

    I thought of doing it, but cannot afford it at this time. I know that if I go strict paleo I will lose weight, so an 8 week commitment will be a win for me no matter what. You may not have read my blog, but I believe I damaged my metabolism from an ill-advised year of antidepressant use. I had every, and I mean EVERY negative side effect from them and have been recovering from the damage ever since. Metabolism and sex drive are the lingering effects. Strange, but I just read an article that leptin tells your body when it is best to reproduce, so it would explain lowered sex drives. Fingers crossed!

    The great thing about viewing my health and wellness as a process and beginning to experiment with new ways of thought takes a lot of the pressure off of the situation. I don't' feel so emotionally drained from it like I did when the complete focus was weight loss. I am very thankful to this primal experiment for teaching me that.

  5. #35
    Barb's Avatar
    Barb is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    415
    Regarding whey protein isolate - My breakfast has consisted of a shake made from whole raw milk, heavy cream, and 2 scoops of WPI for nearly a year now. Last blood test in April had trigs at 52, HDL at 81, and LDL at 153. My job as a busy hospital RN has me running around, on my feet all day. No sitting for me! I am not hungry for 6-7 hrs after this shake for breakfast. Breakfast at 6:00 am, lunch at 1:00 pm NO PROBLEM. Didn't raise my trigs. So, the whey protein isolate may raise trigs for some, but it is not universal and the only way to know what it does for you is to get tested. But I am very happy with my lipid profile and love my breakfast shake - it's the only thing I can stomach at 6:00 am! (I start work at 7:00 am.)

  6. #36
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    Oh plantar fascititis sucks!!!! My husband had it and the stretches and a frozen water bottle helped a lot. Hope you get better soon. Maybe you should get that reverse T3 blood test to find out if it truly is leptin resistance?

    I thought of doing it, but cannot afford it at this time. I know that if I go strict paleo I will lose weight, so an 8 week commitment will be a win for me no matter what. You may not have read my blog, but I believe I damaged my metabolism from an ill-advised year of antidepressant use. I had every, and I mean EVERY negative side effect from them and have been recovering from the damage ever since. Metabolism and sex drive are the lingering effects. Strange, but I just read an article that leptin tells your body when it is best to reproduce, so it would explain lowered sex drives. Fingers crossed!

    The great thing about viewing my health and wellness as a process and beginning to experiment with new ways of thought takes a lot of the pressure off of the situation. I don't' feel so emotionally drained from it like I did when the complete focus was weight loss. I am very thankful to this primal experiment for teaching me that.
    Thanks. Mine stems from gluten intolerance. I suddenly got a lot more sick with it when I got pregnant with my youngest and weight just piled on. I have read that leptin resistance is associated with inflammation so that makes sense as that was another major issue I had from gluten.

    I can't do rT3, I got TSH done by my doc and paid for TPO myself but rT3 would cost over 200 pounds. It may well be high though, goes hand in hand with leptin from what I have read, since it's a way the body slows down metabolism if it thinks it's starving.

    I have to admit, I'm unconvinced by this leptin plan. I did all those things and saw the changes he listed but IMO they are the effects of acclimatising to low carb and nothing to do with leptin. Certainly nothing has changed with respect to weightloss, and as soon as I upped carbs I was back to needing to eat 6 times a day etc, which is about insulin and not leptin for me I think, since LC fixed it.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

  7. #37
    NomadRip's Avatar
    NomadRip is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Is there a link to the actual page on Dr. Kruse's site that has these specific recommendations? I read lots of research and explantions for how things work etc. but couldn't find the specific recommendations for what to do to fix things.
    The post is on Dr. Kruse's site. Look for the Oprah post (I can't look it up at the moment). But it says the same thing in the first post of this thread.
    -James
    Just a n00b

  8. #38
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    Thanks. Mine stems from gluten intolerance. I suddenly got a lot more sick with it when I got pregnant with my youngest and weight just piled on. I have read that leptin resistance is associated with inflammation so that makes sense as that was another major issue I had from gluten.

    I can't do rT3, I got TSH done by my doc and paid for TPO myself but rT3 would cost over 200 pounds. It may well be high though, goes hand in hand with leptin from what I have read, since it's a way the body slows down metabolism if it thinks it's starving.

    I have to admit, I'm unconvinced by this leptin plan. I did all those things and saw the changes he listed but IMO they are the effects of acclimatising to low carb and nothing to do with leptin. Certainly nothing has changed with respect to weightloss, and as soon as I upped carbs I was back to needing to eat 6 times a day etc, which is about insulin and not leptin for me I think, since LC fixed it.
    There is also a leptin test. It's checked on my lab sheet for my next checkup.

    There isn't much you can do if you suspect rT3 and don't test for it. NHS won't cover it?

  9. #39
    Digby's Avatar
    Digby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,449
    I was wondering why a plain protein powder without real or artificial sweeteners would be a problem. To get 50 g protein with just eggs, almond milk, coconut milk is a lot of eggs.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

  10. #40
    Kymma's Avatar
    Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    639
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's 4 eggs, ham, cheese and 4+oz. of other meat as a side. It feels like I'm a competitive eater at 7am!

    I was actually thinking if someone told me I could eat that huge breakfast that I would be all YEAH!, but in practice it is more like :~ It is not a fatkid dream moment for me. BUT if this works, it will be worth it. And 8 weeks isn't that much time in the scheme of things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •