Page 201 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 1011511911992002012022032112513017011201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 21865

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 201

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    Thanks for reply, so I guess you would recommend lots of heavy weight training over long steady aerobic workouts?
    Weekly I tend to do 1 or 2 weight sessions, 2-3 30mins walk and 2 bike rides, 1 slow/steady up to an hour, 1 short(20mins) with 3-4 flat out sprints.

Can I just say that reading this thread and your blog I have learnt so much, thanks for your time, this is great stuff!
    Absolutely.......aerobics is good for one thing......killing your mitochondria which then in turn cause you to use up your stems cells which means you will never live long no matter how strict paleo you are! You got to have adequate replacements to age. This means we need to extend eachngeneration of cells before we let them divide and die.......via apoptosis. Totally new way of looking at adapting paleo to the aging human.......this is the basis of my paleo........paleo 3.0

And bike rides are fine by me.......I'm talking insane cardio workouts advocated by trainers.......or marathon running. Good ways to die early in my view

geostump is offline Senior Member
    My walks have entered into the 1 hr zone at a slow steady pace. I take my 9 & 10 yr old daughters with me to slow my pace down a bit. I also do sprints once a week now for about 10-15 minutes on those walks. I absolutely hate riding a bike so you want see me riding one anytime soon. I officially started heavy lifting last night and I'm using my body as the weight. I've restarted the 200 squat challenge which is a 6 week challenge. I have virtually no soreness in my legs and what little bit I do have feels good. I do some lifting of weights with some weights I have at the house. I plan on making my own kettleball type weight using a milk jug, water and duct tape and when that one gets light, upgrade to sand or kitty litter in it and keep upping the weight with some of my husband's rusted out tools. People have told me that my arms and calves look more defined when I haven't really done any lifting with them. It's just fat burn

One thing I've noticed physically in the past couple of days is that on my torso, chest, back and head, I itch like crazy. A friend of mine told me that this is just my bodies way of getting rid of fat toxins which does seem to make sense. I haven't changed any soaps or detergents.

Last night, the family and I played a couple of rounds of a bean bag toss game that we in the midwest and the south(I believe) affectionately call "corn hole". I was pouring in sweat within 10 min and by the time we finished the hour long game, I looked as if I stepped out of the shower.
    Georgette

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    haha im sweating just reading this post!

All good signs

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Dr K
    I think I've got another sign showing up. I'm a coffee fiend. I really love the morning ritual I have w/having a my 2 cups of coffee while I knock back the morning chaos of my job. There's always been something soothing about having those 2 cups. but recently I'm starting to get meh? about the 2nd cup. I look at it and while I love the taste... I don't always want to finish it. I wake up fine and don't need to have the coffee... I just really like to have it...its always been a comfort thing... but now as I sit here looking at my 2nd cup - I'm asking myself WHY? do I want/need this? Other than loving the taste of it? Coffee is my 1 thing I've never liked to give up... I used to make my own espresso until my espresso maker broke, so now I make french press...

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    Dr K
    I think I've got another sign showing up. I'm a coffee fiend. I really love the morning ritual I have w/having a my 2 cups of coffee while I knock back the morning chaos of my job. There's always been something soothing about having those 2 cups. but recently I'm starting to get meh? about the 2nd cup. I look at it and while I love the taste... I don't always want to finish it. I wake up fine and don't need to have the coffee... I just really like to have it...its always been a comfort thing... but now as I sit here looking at my 2nd cup - I'm asking myself WHY? do I want/need this? Other than loving the taste of it? Coffee is my 1 thing I've never liked to give up... I used to make my own espresso until my espresso maker broke, so now I make french press...

Been like this for 3 weeks now. I just drink 1 cup and nothing more.
    Georgette

RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Archer View Post
    I also don't suffer from sugar cravings, however I believe my body has become malnourished due to the amount of nuts I have had to eat over the two months of trying Primal my way.... I should have read the book and took into consideration the science behind this before doing it my way. I just didn't see any other way to get in the amount of fat and protein I needed without nuts.
    I had asked you on the other thread, but maybe you did not see it...

Why do you feel that you need to eat 5000-6000 calories per day?
    Last edited by RSL; 08-01-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    yes.....it is bad news. And the fact that he is long and lean is more bad news.....but all that can change if he choses to adapt.
    I'm wondering if I misportrayed my husband. He's just shy of 5'10", shorter than most men we know. Not long and lean, lol.

The good news is, he's VERY amenable to adapting to a primal diet. He has naturally eaten that way whenever he can his whole life. He's always hated most sweets and really dislikes grains, using them rarely. Hates processed foods, loves meat, fat, and vegetables.

He was THRILLED when I went Weston Price with our diet, and happier again when I reduced grains. He LOVES primal eating! He almost never gets sick, can do pull-ups any time, even if he hasn't done them in literally years, and is still one of the best softball players on his team at 39 (filled with young guys fresh out of law school) and even though he plays only in the summer and doesn't work out any other time. He's built like Ewan LeCorre - not tall or bulky, but broad shoulders, fit, lean, and strong. Almost no bodyfat at all, but not long, lol. Not at all that tall, lanky, narrow look of someone whose body has built up instead of out.

He has a similar build to the only Ga Tech football player ever to have his number retired: Clint Castleberry.

So anyway, I'm interested in the implications of this for him because of the implications in what we should do for my 6 year old, who has been below the 3% line on weight and height since birth, and at times even below the 0% mark! He's just like his daddy was at that age, but I ate ATROCIOUS amounts of sugar when pregnant with and nursing him, and don't know if that's really the issue, or if he'll end up a decent height, anyway. He *has* gained since going primal.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    My bet is it can be altered if your choices change. Sarcopenia and height are not the ideal match it appears for phenotype....

When you understand this biologic difference you begin to understand why the power that drives natural selction for evolution......namely epigenetics is critical to dictate the terms of aging and the biologic niche that you choose to be in. ...Generally the old get taken out so that the new generation can adapt..........And when you consider how the HPA axis acts to take us out.......well then our brains can create new micro environments for us to optimize ourselves as we age.
    I understand the argument that evolution doesn't need us to age well, just to be healthy long enough to reproduce. But Price's research documents that the aged thrived in all the "primitive" groups he studied. 90 and nearly wrinkle-free, 60 year old women easily shouldering massive burdens up Alpen mountainsides, 80 year old men working alongside the rest of the community with buff bodies ... however the mechanism, our forefathers did not hit 45 and fall apart, as the "nasty, brutish, and short" myth tells us he did.

I'm all about maximizing the number of healthy years we have, but I think our past shows it it's not elusive.

Anyway, all that is discussion, my practical point is, is there anything I can do other than eating primal to help my 6 year old reach the height and build his body wants to reach, given his long history? Currently I have him on digestive enzymes and HCl in case the problem is not absorbing the huge quantities of protein he eats. We are a totally primal family. One major difference between him and his daddy as a child is that he has always been a good sleeper, so I think the GH spikes aren't likely a problem with him.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-01-2011 at 07:13 AM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    While i seems I am LS, everything else seems to be falling apart. (That may be a bit dramatic!) I started taking melatonin about three weeks ago when I started the "modified" (with exercise) reset. I had tried it in the past, and it never worked. I took two pills the first couple of nights, then down to one. I was sleeping through the night, but I had the strangest, most vivid dreams. I could barely drag myself out of bed. I would wake up, but couldn't actually get up for another hour. Lately, even with the melatonin, I'm back to not sleeping. I don't exercise on the weekends, so maybe that explains the last couple of nights.

Eating has been good. Still having a big protein breakfast. No snacking, except for a few occasions when I needed something after a tough workout. I used to have an evening snack every night. My daughter's school is switching to an early start this year. At this point, I'm not sure I can do it!