Page 1183 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 1836831083113311731181118211831184118511931233128316832183 ... LastLast
Results 11,821 to 11,830 of 21865

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 1183

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    Oh brother. I just looked at my Magnesium Serene that my doctor suggested for sleep. It has 5 carbs per serving. Most days of my Reset I have taken 2 servings. So, most days I have been over my 25 carbs-a-day limit. I am going to re-start the Reset as of today. What is a good brand of Magnesium malate? My vitamin C has Calcium in it. Since supplemental Calcium is a paleo no-no, what is a good brand of a buffered Vitamin C w/o Calcium?
    You don't have to restart the reset. The 25 gm limit is only for someone who has 30 or more pounds to lose. Up to 50 gm is okay if you have less to lose. Going over the limit won't negate everything, just keep on it. I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
    Each tablet has 200mg of mag, 960gm malic acid. I take 3 a day, a few hours before bedtime.

Calcium isn't exactly a no-no, just usually not necessary while eating paleo, because we're getting enough from our diet.

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    I asked this on the other thread, but maybe someone here can help out- why no nightshades on reset? I avoid them because I think I have allergies to some... but I'm curious why it also fits with the protocol.

wanderir is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy1 View Post
    I asked this on the other thread, but maybe someone here can help out- why no nightshades on reset? I avoid them because I think I have allergies to some... but I'm curious why it also fits with the protocol.
    They can exacerbate leaky guts, irritate them.

DrMommyN is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy1 View Post
    Nightshades are inflammatory. But Dr Kruse only said no nightshades if you have an HDL under 80 (I think.) I guess high HDL is linked with low inflammation? I think I'm the exception to that rule, so I still avoid nightshades. Most have high fructose and fructans anyway which is not allowed on my fructose malabsorption.

smarkley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    nutmeggs, I'm interested to know what other in-the-thyroid-know folks have to say about your skyrocketing antibodies. IDK squat about thyroid minutiae, but I have a feeling I'll need to in the near future.

Owl, THANK YOU for posting that the post-leptin RX explains how the RS works. I'm way behind in reading the blogs (have to go very slowly when I'm inbrain-fog and/or low energy states, which seems to be most of the time lately ), but I just glanced through those portions. So glad to read the explanation finally!

So please correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to summarize what I read to be sure I understand it.

In biological history, circadian (once a day) & ultradian (several times a day, like sleep cycles & elimination & eating) rhythms are the most primitive way to regulate certain functions like appetite & energy use or storage (fat maintenance, gain, or loss). More biologically simple creatures use amount of food consumed in relation to the sun's rising and setting to determine whether enough food seems to be available, and whether energy should be stored or burned, and whether appetite should be up- or down-regulated.

We're advanced! (woohoo!) People have a (relatively speaking) new hormone called leptin that is made by the fat cells and tells the leptin receptors at the brain & muscles & liver whether or not there is enough fat for a rainy day, or whether we need to stop moving & eat more to build up the backup supply. It's an upgrade. But like all upgrades, it's a bit less stable than the most basic model, and it can go awry when feeding becomes grossly departed from what is biologically natural for us.

At that point (and I've forgotten why this happens; will review later - does the onslaught of massive amounts of carbs make insulin tell leptin to tell the brain "MAKE MORE FAT! MAKE MORE FAT!"?), our leptin receptors are being bombarded by leptin and just get tired of it and say SHUT UP ALREADY! and no longer pay any attention to what leptin has to say. So whether the leptin is high or low, it doesn't matter, b/c the receptors are sticking their fingers in their ears and saying La la la la la I can't heeeeeaaaarrrrr you!!!

BUT - says Dr. Kruse - there is a backup plan. When a newfangled signal like leptin no longer makes sense to the brain, it reverts to using older biological mechanisms for the functions needed. So the body reverts to using circadian & ultradian rhythms to regulate fat storage. That means that *when* you eat how much tells your body how much fat to store. So eating a big ol' breakfast signals your body that plenty of food is available and fat stores do not need to be increased. (Since I forget why there's so much leptin in the first place, I don't quite follow why this tells the brain to start making less of it ... maybe the low carb diet has already down-regulated the amount of leptin produced, but it didn't matter b/c the receptors were still ignoring it. But what is it that now makes them unplug their ears? Maybe just enough time of the combination of low-carb + the signal from the food timing that tells the brain "Food is not in short supply now"?)

Now you can lose fat. And gain energy. Hurrah!

Corrections welcome! I'm trying to pull all these bits and pieces to understand what's going on. This makes me realize that my really irregular sleep patterns are REALLY holding me back. I'm getting enough sleep each day by just staying in bed when sleep is interrupted (whether by a child, staying up late, mid-night waking, or waking too dang early not my fault at all), but my breakfast is all. over. the.map, any time from 7:30 to 11am.
    this is good MamaGrok, I understand it a little differently though... Please (anyone!) correct me if I am wrong. The Leptin is not the new thing... it is our Leptin Receptors that are new (evolutionary speaking) -- what Dr K is trying to get us to do, is retrain an older part of the brain to understand the Leptin Signals like it did before our new Leptin Receptors came into the picture.

*scratches head, wondering if I got it right*
    started weight loss journey 6/1/10 -182 lbs total loss
    Leptin Reset/Primal (started 9/3/11 wt 226 ) -- week 14 -10 lbs loss thus far

Avocados are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Mick1967 is offline Junior Member
    I'm finishing up my 9th week on the Reset. I started the Primal Blueprint 4 weeks before that.

I'm 44, 5'8", Type-2 diabetic and started the PB in mid-September at 314 lbs.

My time on the PB killed the cravings, so I started the Reset without any.

During week 3 of the Reset, I started sleeping very well. I was pleasantly tired by 10pm and ready for bed, which, for a lifelong night owl was rather amazing. I'm up each day at 6am without my alarm, even on Saturdays and Sundays.

Also during week 3, I started feeling the increased body heat. I notice it most during the afternoons and it can get quite intense. I'm still experiencing this increased heat.

During week 5 or 6 I noticed an increased sex drive. Nothing out of control, but increased.

I don't have any test results just my Glucose numbers and my weight loss.

Weight Loss during the Reset:
    Week 1: 3.0 lbs
    Week 2: 1.4 lbs
    Week 3: 1.2 lbs
    Week 4: 0
    Week 5: 1.4 lbs
    Week 6: 2.8 lbs
    Week 7: 2.6 lbs
    Week 8: 0.6 lbs

Week 4 I went zero carbs for most of the week. And I ended up feeling poorly that week, my glucose numbers stayed the same and my weight loss was nil. Adding back the few carbs I'd been eating made me feel better right away.

Week 6 and 7 saw an increased weight loss, so for Week 8, I decide to only eat 2 meals a day. I increased breakfast a bit and didn't have any problem making it until dinner. I would get hungry around 5:30 each evening. But I lost the heat I had been experiencing in the afternoons and my sleep which had been rock solid grew worse. For week 9 I went back to 3 meals a day and my good sleeping patterns and afternoon heat returned.

My Fasting Blood Glocose numbers started the reset in the 120s and 130s. I was taking 500 Mgs of Metformin twice a day. During week 3 they started to dip into the 110s. During week 5 they dipped into the 100s. Week 6 saw my first FBG in the 90s. Week 8 I cut down to a half a pill twice a day. My numbers briefly went back up to the 110s. Yesterday's afternoon reading was 71. I didn't take any Metformin last night. This morning's reading was 86. I didn't take any Metformin today and I'll see how things go.

Last week I did some pushups and felt somewhat sore on Day 2 and 3 afterwards. This week I did two sets of wall pushups and several Primal Fitness Stage 1 pullups. I felt a bit sore on Day 2 afterwards. Last night I played some pickup basketball with my sons and brother for the first time in....more years than I can remember and today I feel fine, no soreness at all. I would say my energy has increased. I really feel like exercising.

The only change to my sweating, is that I do a lot less of it. I've always been a big sweater and since going Primal I don't sweat as much. But during the Reset, I've only been walking about 15 minutes a day.

I've been meditating 20 minutes twice a day since July. Between the meditation, the mindfulness and the Reset, I'm as happy and harmonious as I've ever been.

I've gotten a lot out of this thread, so thanks to all who have contributed. The first 5000-6000 posts were really helpful during my first couple of weeks on the Reset. And thanks to Dr. Kruse for lighting the way.

Vkiernan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick1967 View Post
    I'm finishing up my 9th week on the Reset. I started the Primal Blueprint 4 weeks before that.

I'm 44, 5'8", Type-2 diabetic and started the PB in mid-September at 314 lbs.

My time on the PB killed the cravings, so I started the Reset without any.

During week 3 of the Reset, I started sleeping very well. I was pleasantly tired by 10pm and ready for bed, which, for a lifelong night owl was rather amazing. I'm up each day at 6am without my alarm, even on Saturdays and Sundays.

Also during week 3, I started feeling the increased body heat. I notice it most during the afternoons and it can get quite intense. I'm still experiencing this increased heat.

During week 5 or 6 I noticed an increased sex drive. Nothing out of control, but increased.

I don't have any test results just my Glucose numbers and my weight loss.

Weight Loss during the Reset:
    Week 1: 3.0 lbs
    Week 2: 1.4 lbs
    Week 3: 1.2 lbs
    Week 4: 0
    Week 5: 1.4 lbs
    Week 6: 2.8 lbs
    Week 7: 2.6 lbs
    Week 8: 0.6 lbs

Week 4 I went zero carbs for most of the week. And I ended up feeling poorly that week, my glucose numbers stayed the same and my weight loss was nil. Adding back the few carbs I'd been eating made me feel better right away.

Week 6 and 7 saw an increased weight loss, so for Week 8, I decide to only eat 2 meals a day. I increased breakfast a bit and didn't have any problem making it until dinner. I would get hungry around 5:30 each evening. But I lost the heat I had been experiencing in the afternoons and my sleep which had been rock solid grew worse. For week 9 I went back to 3 meals a day and my good sleeping patterns and afternoon heat returned.

My Fasting Blood Glocose numbers started the reset in the 120s and 130s. I was taking 500 Mgs of Metformin twice a day. During week 3 they started to dip into the 110s. During week 5 they dipped into the 100s. Week 6 saw my first FBG in the 90s. Week 8 I cut down to a half a pill twice a day. My numbers briefly went back up to the 110s. Yesterday's afternoon reading was 71. I didn't take any Metformin last night. This morning's reading was 86. I didn't take any Metformin today and I'll see how things go.

Last week I did some pushups and felt somewhat sore on Day 2 and 3 afterwards. This week I did two sets of wall pushups and several Primal Fitness Stage 1 pullups. I felt a bit sore on Day 2 afterwards. Last night I played some pickup basketball with my sons and brother for the first time in....more years than I can remember and today I feel fine, no soreness at all. I would say my energy has increased. I really feel like exercising.

The only change to my sweating, is that I do a lot less of it. I've always been a big sweater and since going Primal I don't sweat as much. But during the Reset, I've only been walking about 15 minutes a day.

I've been meditating 20 minutes twice a day since July. Between the meditation, the mindfulness and the Reset, I'm as happy and harmonious as I've ever been.

I've gotten a lot out of this thread, so thanks to all who have contributed. The first 5000-6000 posts were really helpful during my first couple of weeks on the Reset. And thanks to Dr. Kruse for lighting the way.
    Great story. So happy for you on your successes.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    Who is using NAC for sleep....AdrianaG or Siijin13? What brand and how much?
    Not using NAC.. I'm using 3mg melatonin, 1000 mg of Mag malate, and PS (bc I've tested w/ high cortisol at night)

I think quelsen has used NAC
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Wow, Mick! That's some textbook success!

I would love to know why the lunch had an effect on your loss & sleep. I'm not hungry at all for lunch, ever, but OTOH, my sleep has never been restful, even on the reset, and my weight loss has been dismally slow, whether on the reset or not. Were you hungry when you skipped lunch?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

smarkley is offline Senior Member
    dex!

Mrs and I finally got all the stuff together for your concoction and tried it tonight... HOLY CRAP it is VILE! HAHAHAHA!
    I was only able to choke down 2 tablespoons of it... the Mrs did 3! She is tough LOL.

We did end up using yogurt, not sure if we will ever do it again though... still looking for a different delivery system LOL.
    started weight loss journey 6/1/10 -182 lbs total loss
    Leptin Reset/Primal (started 9/3/11 wt 226 ) -- week 14 -10 lbs loss thus far

Avocados are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!