Page 1182 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 1826821082113211721180118111821183118411921232128216822182 ... LastLast
Results 11,811 to 11,820 of 21866

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 1182

Vkiernan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by colleencoble View Post
    What tests? Did you get a stool test or something else? Celiacs means you lack the enzyme to digest gluten. It damages your small intestines and causes the fat malabsorption. The only remedy is a gluten free diet that is followed religiously. I also replace my stomach acid and that has been great.

Georgette, great news on the 14s!!!! Whoohoo!
    I had a blood test a couple years ago and that was negative. Recently they did a scope and I asked them to do the celiac test since they would be in there and they said that was interesting that I asked for that since I had the gene and that's where I got lost. I had no sleep all night tso I wasn't comprehending except that fact which caught my attention. The test itself was negative but I have since learned from this forum that since I hadn't eaten grains in over 4 months that it wouldn't show it anyway.

'ninja' is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Yes, it was tough love! I didn't mean to be rude.
    I ended up going to a doc who specialized in thyroid problems and is also knowledgeable on the other hormones. I found him on Thyroid Top Doctors | Top Thyroid Doctors -- The Best Thyroid Doctors, Endocrinologists, Thyroidologists, Practitioners and Experts in the World as Nominated by Patients, from Patient Advocate Mary Shomon
    He's a DO, and doesn't take insurance, although all my blood work through him is covered by Blue Cross. But it's worth it to me to pay for his office visits if he knows what he's doing.
    ok thanks for clarifying tough love i'll blame the hormones being out of whack for thinking it sounded mean!

thanks for the link for the thyroid docs,...but...should i be looking for thyroid docs or an endo or ?? i think my thyroid is ok. just the sex hormones are whacked...i THINK (obviously won't know unless i get tested, but since i don't have any money....one baby step at a time!)...this is all so confusing to me!

Quote Originally Posted by LSSeeker View Post
    I found a link that lists doctors that do bioidentical hormone replacement.

Bioidentical Doctors - Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Doctors

I went to the one in my area and the web page is all about optimal, not just normal and bringing hormone levels to 20's and 30's. Maybe this will help.
    ^^or should i look into this??

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    nutmeggs, I'm interested to know what other in-the-thyroid-know folks have to say about your skyrocketing antibodies. IDK squat about thyroid minutiae, but I have a feeling I'll need to in the near future.

Owl, THANK YOU for posting that the post-leptin RX explains how the RS works. I'm way behind in reading the blogs (have to go very slowly when I'm inbrain-fog and/or low energy states, which seems to be most of the time lately ), but I just glanced through those portions. So glad to read the explanation finally!

So please correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to summarize what I read to be sure I understand it.

In biological history, circadian (once a day) & ultradian (several times a day, like sleep cycles & elimination & eating) rhythms are the most primitive way to regulate certain functions like appetite & energy use or storage (fat maintenance, gain, or loss). More biologically simple creatures use amount of food consumed in relation to the sun's rising and setting to determine whether enough food seems to be available, and whether energy should be stored or burned, and whether appetite should be up- or down-regulated.

We're advanced! (woohoo!) People have a (relatively speaking) new hormone called leptin that is made by the fat cells and tells the leptin receptors at the brain & muscles & liver whether or not there is enough fat for a rainy day, or whether we need to stop moving & eat more to build up the backup supply. It's an upgrade. But like all upgrades, it's a bit less stable than the most basic model, and it can go awry when feeding becomes grossly departed from what is biologically natural for us.

At that point (and I've forgotten why this happens; will review later - does the onslaught of massive amounts of carbs make insulin tell leptin to tell the brain "MAKE MORE FAT! MAKE MORE FAT!"?), our leptin receptors are being bombarded by leptin and just get tired of it and say SHUT UP ALREADY! and no longer pay any attention to what leptin has to say. So whether the leptin is high or low, it doesn't matter, b/c the receptors are sticking their fingers in their ears and saying La la la la la I can't heeeeeaaaarrrrr you!!!

BUT - says Dr. Kruse - there is a backup plan. When a newfangled signal like leptin no longer makes sense to the brain, it reverts to using older biological mechanisms for the functions needed. So the body reverts to using circadian & ultradian rhythms to regulate fat storage. That means that *when* you eat how much tells your body how much fat to store. So eating a big ol' breakfast signals your body that plenty of food is available and fat stores do not need to be increased. (Since I forget why there's so much leptin in the first place, I don't quite follow why this tells the brain to start making less of it ... maybe the low carb diet has already down-regulated the amount of leptin produced, but it didn't matter b/c the receptors were still ignoring it. But what is it that now makes them unplug their ears? Maybe just enough time of the combination of low-carb + the signal from the food timing that tells the brain "Food is not in short supply now"?)

Now you can lose fat. And gain energy. Hurrah!

Corrections welcome! I'm trying to pull all these bits and pieces to understand what's going on. This makes me realize that my really irregular sleep patterns are REALLY holding me back. I'm getting enough sleep each day by just staying in bed when sleep is interrupted (whether by a child, staying up late, mid-night waking, or waking too dang early not my fault at all), but my breakfast is all. over. the.map, any time from 7:30 to 11am.
    This helps. re-reading the blogs are always great, but reading layman's terms summary is always better!! helps things to fall into place better in my mind!

Vilica is offline Member
    But the majority of those of us with hypothyroid have hashi's. Doc also told me that it was unlikely I could ever get off thyroid. The problem was too longstanding. And many of us are in that position. I would never ignore a thyroid problem. It's just too life changing to get that fixed. Even 6 mos is too long to go with that. Better to get it supported and back down on thyroid if possible later. And it may not even be possible.
    After my adventure with the DHEA Keto 7, which apparently had such an awful impact on my thyroid - heart flutters and total zombie brain - I'm even less sure about what to do about that thyroid. I remember from the past that i cannot take kelp either, it makes me hyper and aggressive. Also I do not have a cold skin or lack of energy - most of the time - which I think are thyroid deficiency problems. So I came to the conclusion that it would probably be best if I do nothing further about it, just the LR and hoping that will finally make me lose weight. BTW I gained all 7 pounds back in a few days after I stopped the DHEA Keto 7. Must have been water, for I got rid of half of that again, but am still not where I was at my lowest.

I am going to see my doctor next week, for my annual blood test. He asked for me to do that because of my crazy diet - carnivore - and the past few years all values have been just wonderful. I will get the regular cholesterol test, blood sugar, liver function and kidney function, and the normal thyroid stuff, which isn't very specific. I am thinking of asking about D3, cortisol and the T3/rT3 ratio, which I seem to have read somewhere is important. Anything important that I'm forgetting? Should I ask for estrogen and progesteron? (I'm a 62 year old woman) Is HCG something they can test?

Thanks for all input!
    Last edited by Vilica; 12-11-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Indianstar is offline Junior Member
    Dr K, what do you think of iodine supplementation (lugol) for hypothyroid patients? What is a safe dose in mg, especially since so many strengths of Lugol are now available. As advised by you, I have been loading with 400 mcg of Selenium for a month and now want to start Iodine.

DrMommyN is offline Senior Member
    I think I understand how pregnenolone steal happens when the adrenals are trying to keep up with high cortisol production. However, I've read that taking DHEA for someone with LOW cortisol levels could cause them to go even lower. Both come from pregnenolone, but is it simply (ha - I should never use that word) that the adrenals can only handle so much processing? Can anyone enlighten me about this relationship?

colleencoble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkiernan View Post
    I had a blood test a couple years ago and that was negative. Recently they did a scope and I asked them to do the celiac test since they would be in there and they said that was interesting that I asked for that since I had the gene and that's where I got lost. I had no sleep all night tso I wasn't comprehending except that fact which caught my attention. The test itself was negative but I have since learned from this forum that since I hadn't eaten grains in over 4 months that it wouldn't show it anyway.
    That test isn't a good one. They have to grab tissue from where it's damaged for it to be positive and the blood tests for allergy are pretty useless. But the stool test is good and the fat malabsorption tells you if you have any damage in your intestines from it.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    What steps should you take if the fat malabsorption test is positive?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Vkiernan is offline Senior Member
    That test isn't a good one. They have to grab tissue from where it's damaged for it to be positive and the blood tests for allergy are pretty useless. But the stool test is good and the fat malabsorption tells you if you have any damage in your intestines from it.
    Thanks colleen. I have realized that I don't need testing anyway since I know I have the gene and how bad grains are and won't be eating them much at all anymore anyway. I am checking out this naturopathic doc who is into bio-identicals. If it isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg, I will be paying her a visit. Will be interesting to see what she comes up with. I am moving another step closer to better health. I can feel it as the gaps are getting closer and closer together for the signs of LS. But, if she could tweak me now, that would be the "fat on the steak" persay.

I did order one your doc's books. Will be interesting to read.

DrMommyN is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    What steps should you take if the fat malabsorption test is positive?
    So I know both of us are taking the Betaine HCl. I've definitely noticed a difference in how much fat is not seen in stool now. Perhaps it also involves healing the gut mucosa lining - which is what we are trying to do anyway with leptin reset and coconut oil, right?

Interestingly, came across this today: "Low cholesterol or triglyceride may give a clue toward fat malabsorption as low calcium and phosphate toward osteomalacia from low vitamin D." I do have very low cholesterol and triglycerides - did you say you did, too? Another side effect of malabsorption (fat, protein, or carbohydrates) is abdominal swelling - another symptom we share. We both been doing the Reset for quite a while, so will be interesting to see when the swelling gets better. Even now, I have nights that my stomach is not as distended. Have you had any of your vitamin levels tested (esp B12, A, D, E, K)? I should know my results to these next Sat.

colleencoble is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've seen a huge difference since I pumped up the HCI. I take 3-4 capsules per meal now instead of 1. I used to have low cholesterol before HCG but after I lost my weight my blood work is much better. Last time I had it done my total was 180 instead of 110 total cholesterol.