Page 1180 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 1806801080113011701178117911801181118211901230128016802180 ... LastLast
Results 11,791 to 11,800 of 21866

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 1180

nuttmegs17 is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone know what T3 total indicates? I never paid attention before but I noticed it dropped for me by several points.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttmegs17 View Post
    Right!

I have tortilla chips once in a blue moon - avoid everything else like the plague

I wonder if thanksgiving could have done it- did have more nuts than usual, more grains - not a lot but some, and more milk (normaly I dont touch the stuff).

Could it be that I had a really busy season? Like worse stress that could do something like that to the antibodies?
    Wow! Hard to believe that 2 days of eating non-gluten grains and dairy would have that harsh of a reaction.

probably didnt' help that i came off of my busy season at the same time so was stressed. i mean, I avoid all grains like the plague but made exception with dairy and grains for thanksgiving (pies, pie crust, gluten free casserole)

That is quite the bummer as i figured I could treat myself once or twice a year...however if its having this reaction...I wonder how I can figure out what exactly might have caused my antibodies to go haywire. Outside Thanksgiving, i eat only meat, fat, veggies (avoiding nightshades) with occasional chocolate and wine.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    nutmeggs, I'm interested to know what other in-the-thyroid-know folks have to say about your skyrocketing antibodies. IDK squat about thyroid minutiae, but I have a feeling I'll need to in the near future.

Owl, THANK YOU for posting that the post-leptin RX explains how the RS works. I'm way behind in reading the blogs (have to go very slowly when I'm inbrain-fog and/or low energy states, which seems to be most of the time lately ), but I just glanced through those portions. So glad to read the explanation finally!

So please correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to summarize what I read to be sure I understand it.

In biological history, circadian (once a day) & ultradian (several times a day, like sleep cycles & elimination & eating) rhythms are the most primitive way to regulate certain functions like appetite & energy use or storage (fat maintenance, gain, or loss). More biologically simple creatures use amount of food consumed in relation to the sun's rising and setting to determine whether enough food seems to be available, and whether energy should be stored or burned, and whether appetite should be up- or down-regulated.

We're advanced! (woohoo!) People have a (relatively speaking) new hormone called leptin that is made by the fat cells and tells the leptin receptors at the brain & muscles & liver whether or not there is enough fat for a rainy day, or whether we need to stop moving & eat more to build up the backup supply. It's an upgrade. But like all upgrades, it's a bit less stable than the most basic model, and it can go awry when feeding becomes grossly departed from what is biologically natural for us.

At that point (and I've forgotten why this happens; will review later - does the onslaught of massive amounts of carbs make insulin tell leptin to tell the brain "MAKE MORE FAT! MAKE MORE FAT!"?), our leptin receptors are being bombarded by leptin and just get tired of it and say SHUT UP ALREADY! and no longer pay any attention to what leptin has to say. So whether the leptin is high or low, it doesn't matter, b/c the receptors are sticking their fingers in their ears and saying La la la la la I can't heeeeeaaaarrrrr you!!!

BUT - says Dr. Kruse - there is a backup plan. When a newfangled signal like leptin no longer makes sense to the brain, it reverts to using older biological mechanisms for the functions needed. So the body reverts to using circadian & ultradian rhythms to regulate fat storage. That means that *when* you eat how much tells your body how much fat to store. So eating a big ol' breakfast signals your body that plenty of food is available and fat stores do not need to be increased. (Since I forget why there's so much leptin in the first place, I don't quite follow why this tells the brain to start making less of it ... maybe the low carb diet has already down-regulated the amount of leptin produced, but it didn't matter b/c the receptors were still ignoring it. But what is it that now makes them unplug their ears? Maybe just enough time of the combination of low-carb + the signal from the food timing that tells the brain "Food is not in short supply now"?)

Now you can lose fat. And gain energy. Hurrah!

Corrections welcome! I'm trying to pull all these bits and pieces to understand what's going on. This makes me realize that my really irregular sleep patterns are REALLY holding me back. I'm getting enough sleep each day by just staying in bed when sleep is interrupted (whether by a child, staying up late, mid-night waking, or waking too dang early not my fault at all), but my breakfast is all. over. the.map, any time from 7:30 to 11am.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Ice
    Ice is offline Member
    So basically My FT4 went down slightly, my RT3 went down slightly and my antibodies SKYROCKETED. YIKES
    Question for you - when did you start to take the Armour? Has it been fairly recent?

I have known a few folks over the years that had Graves or Hashi's or both that were on synthetic thyroid replacement. In an attempt to feel better they changed to dessicated thyroid replacement (which contain pork antigens) and for a few, after some months, it was speculated that the antibodies recognized the pork antigens and mounted an attack thus raising their antibody count. When they returned to the synthetic drugs the issue resolved. Just mentioning this in case this may be your problem?

maile1 is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone know what T3 total indicates? I never paid attention before but I noticed it dropped for me by several points.
    rough description but Total T3 is free T3 and `storage`T3, storage indicating the T3 that is not available for use.

re your antibodies, hashimoto`s waxes and wanes over your lifetime so 1 blood test can show few antibodies and the next can show excessive antibodies. But generally the fact that it is autoimmune means that your body is attacking your thyroid. if you have hashi`s the general end result is that at some point, could be within 2 weeks or could be 3 decades we don`t know as each person is unique, your body will destroy your thyroid gland.

maile1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkiernan View Post
    That is why I am "trying" t3 only. Flying blind cuz no one around here get's it. I am only doing what I know to try based on what I've read. Do not tell me not take my thyroid med. It has at minimum gotten rid of most of my "dark" days and my headaches. I have thought about not taking any thyroid med but I am too scared. Can't afford to go back to where I was mentally.
    +1!

I`ve seen too many people who have been dragged out of depression or have gotten off statins with proper thyroid supplementation
    there is a definite lack of appreciation for how low t3 can cause depression

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    Question for you - when did you start to take the Armour? Has it been fairly recent?

I have known a few folks over the years that had Graves or Hashi's or both that were on synthetic thyroid replacement. In an attempt to feel better they changed to dessicated thyroid replacement (which contain pork antigens) and for a few, after some months, it was speculated that the antibodies recognized the pork antigens and mounted an attack thus raising their antibody count. When they returned to the synthetic drugs the issue resolved. Just mentioning this in case this may be your problem?
    Interesting - I sure hope its not the pork. i've never shown any symptons or allergy after eating pork.
    I've never been on anything other than cytomel and armour - never tired synthroid etc

Quote Originally Posted by maile1 View Post
    rough description but Total T3 is free T3 and `storage`T3, storage indicating the T3 that is not available for use.

re your antibodies, hashimoto`s waxes and wanes over your lifetime so 1 blood test can show few antibodies and the next can show excessive antibodies. But generally the fact that it is autoimmune means that your body is attacking your thyroid. if you have hashi`s the general end result is that at some point, could be within 2 weeks or could be 3 decades we don`t know as each person is unique, your body will destroy your thyroid gland.
    Man, that is depressing. I guess I was hoping to get the antibodies down and even hopefully get it into remission. I had graves in college and that was put in remission so I figured, why can't it happen with hashis? Plus it has gone into remission for some people (rare I know)

I am going to see my doctor week after next. Curious what he will say or what we should do? Anyone know anything in particular I might suggest? Should he do some allergy testing? If so, what is a reputable allergy test?

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Indianstar View Post
    Also Jan, I started the epsom salt enema as suggested by you since Magnesium Malate is not available in India. Everytime I use it, within ten minutes I need to go to the bathroom. How can it be a mg supplementation tool then since I hardly get any time to absorb it?
    Hello, Indian Star. I was wondering how the epsom salt enema would work, since if you take epsom salts by mouth they are extremely laxative.

I've been using "magnesium oil", which is magnesium chloride dissolved in water to make a strong brine. You rub it on your skin, and then wash it off later. It is somewhat sticky, and the websites about it say that if people are very lacking in magnesium, they sometimes have trouble with an itching and burning sensation, but they do well if they add more water to it. Then later then can use it in a stronger solution.

Even bathing in the ocean can help magnesium status, because there's enough magnesium chloride in solution in seawater to absorb through the skin.

Try Googling "magnesium oil" to find sources. You could also look on the web for "food grade nigari", which Japanese use to make tofu. It's magnesium chloride, and sometimes quite inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    nutmeggs, I'm interested to know what other in-the-thyroid-know folks have to say about your skyrocketing antibodies. IDK squat about thyroid minutiae, but I have a feeling I'll need to in the near future.

I'm curious too! I have no idea how common fluctuations are with Hashi's. I assume more antibodies = bigger probs I jsut wish I knew what caused it

wanderir is offline Senior Member
    I've lost 9.5 inches (from bicep, waist, hips and thighs) and 19.6 lbs in the last 13 weeks. Down to 161.4 lbs from 181 lbs. I was 195 3 years ago when I first starting thinking about being healthier. I can skip meals at will and no longer get hypoglycemic. Its the first time I can remember that the way I eat has had a positive impact on my health and the way I feel.

Historically,I've been able to eat whatever I want, whenever I want and I never noticed a difference in the way I felt. I always felt pretty good and had good energy. By I was hypoglycemic, I was always hungry and always eating. I could not skip a meal, not even in childhood. I felt great after eating a steak, a salad or a happy meal. I'd never understood how eating certain kinds of food gave someone more energy or affected their mood. My body didn't seem to care.

I think my body is predisposed to take abuse more adaptive. This is good for emergencies, but not good for everyday living.

I'm 47 and am 5'9" tall. The weight loss is a side benefit. My hormones have been all out of whack (hypogonadism) and I wanted to fix my health as much as possible with diet before anything else. I burn fat now, not carbs, it's very cool!

Thanks Doc K!

I'm down to a 34" waistline and I'd like to get to 32".