Page 1084 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 84584984103410741082108310841085108610941134118415842084 ... LastLast
Results 10,831 to 10,840 of 21866

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 1084

pammac is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smarkley View Post
    I think it goes like this... 2-4am wakings are frequently caused by low blood sugar, the body's normal response is to kick in some cortisol to smooth out the reaction... if you have Adrenal Fatique and can not produce enough cortisol as needed, you body will produce Adrenalin, which ends up waking you.

I have this problem and have tried 3 things... eating a little more at dinner time, doing a little exercise in the evening, and something new I just heard about from Maile... rub a dime sized amt of 1% HydroCortisone (otc) on my skin at bed time... eventually raising my cortisone a little as I sleep. The 3 times I have tried this, I have slept through the night with no problems.
    Thanks for everyone's comments. I do take the Magnesium Malate before bed and it helps in that I go right to sleep. I haven't heard of the HydroCortisone, I'll ask this new Dr. today about it. Is this a prescription? I take the fish oil but take it very early in the morning. All vitamins are taken by 1pm.

I'm looking forward to getting some tests done and get this reset done for real. I still have bout 20 lbs I'd like to lose but have gained some weight doing this reset so it tells me the hormones are in trouble. I'm also 51 so things are most likely changing.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pammac View Post
    I've been doing the reset strictly for almost 3 weeks. Over the past few months I've had trouble with my sleep after waking up after 4-5 hours of sleep and having a hard time getting back to sleep. Within these past few weeks my sleep has really gone haywire with waking up and not being able to get back to sleep. Last night I couldn't stand it so I ate a little something (half a Quest Bar and about a tsp of almond butter). I slept SO much better. I did wake up after the 5 hours but I was able to go back to sleep. This is frustrating because I really want to do the reset. I have an appt with a new Dr. today and am bringing my list of labs I want done. I did a saliva Cortisol test and am waiting for those results.

Any ideas of how I can handle this sleep issue without eating after dinner?
    pammac,

Dr. Kruse recommends both magnesium AND Melatonin. If you still have trouble waking up after taking magnesium (Natural Calm is a favorite), then simply add one or more Melatonin Tablets.
    Dr. Kruse,"Melatonin you can start with low dose at 2-3mgs two hours before bed and titrate for effect. Highest I have taken myself was 20 mgs when I had serious jet lag. DHEA for guys I base it on labs but most can take 50-100mgs safely. The ladies should use the 7 keto version of DHEA and I would keep it below 50mgs a day without testing." He also recommends DHEA for sleep: "DHEA levels tend to fall in both sexes dramatically after the age of 27 and directly correlate with poor sleep."
    WHAT ARE THE TOP TEN PALEO SUPPLEMENTS? | Jack Kruse

Also said this, " NAC gets converted to glutathione in the body and actually helps sleep by reducing IL6 and other oxidants of the night……I personally think everyone should be on NAC. I take 1800 mgs day."

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 11-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.

smarkley is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pammac View Post
    Thanks for everyone's comments. I do take the Magnesium Malate before bed and it helps in that I go right to sleep. I haven't heard of the HydroCortisone, I'll ask this new Dr. today about it. Is this a prescription? I take the fish oil but take it very early in the morning. All vitamins are taken by 1pm.

I'm looking forward to getting some tests done and get this reset done for real. I still have bout 20 lbs I'd like to lose but have gained some weight doing this reset so it tells me the hormones are in trouble. I'm also 51 so things are most likely changing.
    You can read about the hydrocortisone thing here
    StopTheThyroidMadness.com >> Those durn adrenals: How they can wreck havoc in many thyroid patients | Stop The Thyroid Madness BTW.. lots of other good Adrenal info there.

The hydrocortisone 1% cream is available over the counter, and is typically used for rashes and insect bites.

I agree with the others that testing should be done first... if you have high cortisol, I don't think this will work.
    Last edited by smarkley; 11-18-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    started weight loss journey 6/1/10 -182 lbs total loss
    Leptin Reset/Primal (started 9/3/11 wt 226 ) -- week 14 -10 lbs loss thus far

Avocados are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

JanSz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LSSeeker View Post
    JanSz,

It seems like you're saying DHEA is the main, almost exclusive hormone. It is almost the majority of sex steroids. But when supplementing that, it will not run up hill to pregnenolone, so it's best to know pregnenole's number too so it can get what it needs. And when they're both doing well, LDL will come down naturally. And besides feeling better, I really want that number to normalize.
    Getting warmer.

JanSz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LSSeeker View Post
    Grizz!!

You just gave me the answer that I've been looking for!! I needed the age for DHEA and pregnenolone. Nice!!
    No you do not.

When restoring hormone levels you want hormone levels you aim is at the levels that healthy 19-25 yo person of your sex have.

You have to be diligent about it.
    It is easy to get confused when you talk to someone, specially when it is a doctor holding your test results and pointing to a line for given hormone.
    ----------

Laboratories are posting "age adjusted ranges".

Laboratories are figuring out those ranges based on statistical analysis of people whom they test.

Those numbers may tell you that you may be as sick, less or more, as most of people of your age bracket.

They do not tell you what are the healthy levels.

Even young people have variety of levels, some are plain sick.

You usually want upper 1/4 or 1/8 of range of young person.
    Usually, say with estrogen may be different.

Then you also have hormones that are working together.

Most often it is about

Cortisol/DHEA
    Estrogen/progesterone

//
    Last edited by JanSz; 11-18-2011 at 01:40 PM.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    I started this yesterday. I am going to have some labs done on Monday so I can't eat till after. I will be @10 before I get back home so do I just eat the BAB then?

I am having CBC w/auto diff/plts (I had this done last year also), Lipid Panel, Vit. D(had last year), Thyroid Panel (last one was 6 months ago), ferritin, and some fatigue panel. Any other biggies I should do?

I am a 37 year old female. I know my hormones are messed up and thyroid. I am currently working on these through acupuncture, diet, and Standard Process Supplements. DHEA was in range, but low a year ago. I took DHEA for almost a year and my acupuncturist took me off of it. All my labs were within the reference range from the CBC when I did it last year and Vit D was at 60 ng/ml at that time.

diving diva is offline Member
    Hi everyone, have just started LR, well have been doing it now for almost 2 weeks.
    Weight loss was !.9kgs in the first week , but I have now gone up 400gms .
    Snacking is not a problem , but then didn't really snack before to be honest ! Meal portions are smaller , apart from breakfast which is now the 50gms of protein. Sure my body is totally messed up as have yo yo dieted all my life , did a VLCD about 3 years ago and managed to maintain my weight at a BMI of 24-25. But to do that has involved doing the dukan diet. Got fed up of all the low fat , and artificial food on that so decided to go primal. It was whilst researching this that I heard about the LR and convinced myself it would be a good thing to do .

I have absolutely no idea of my bloods as have never had them tested , but have always been healthy apart from the weight struggle.

I am 50 years old so I guess I am pre menopausal, but with a coil fitted how on earth do I tell ? I am always hot (temperature wise) and have incredible sweats , but then I live on a Caribbean island , so is that because the temp here rarely gets below 36 degrees, with almost 100% humidity or is it because I am a woman of a certain age ?

Can't get grass fed meat here so I am doing the best I can with what is available. Eating loads of eggs, but they are probably from chickens loaded with antibiotics !! It's depressing thinking about it !!

I have a couple of questions for the time being:-

! How many eggs a day can I safely eat ? At the moment I am eating 6

2 Does diving count as exercise , asking because I have dived 7 times in the last 4 days , it is the only thing that keeps me sane ! Can I continue to do this whilst on LR. ( Of note I have found that I am using less air since starting this , the last 3 days over an hours dive at 60 feet and still half a tank of air left !!)
    Have also been redecorating the house in-between , seem to have got a lot of energy since starting , is that ok, surely it doesn't count as exercise ?

3. Do other people get what I would call a meat sweat after eating, mine are so bad that the sweat literally runs off me !! Not a good look.

4 Are you counting calories whilst doing this ? I seem to eat between 1300 and 2300 a day ,mostly the lower range , but had to take lunch with me on a couple of days , which ended up being nuts as they were the only protein foods I could think of that would not go off in the heat !

I am gradually reading through this forum post , am now at page 100 or so , but there seems to be masses to catch up on !!

ps thanks in advance for any answers

diving diva is offline Member
    Oh sorry , forgot to say , have put on about 6kgs in the past year despite constant diets , seems to have coincided with a nasty bout of dengue fever , since then have been unable to get any weight off . I want to loose 12kgs. Body fat is 37 % at the moment , would like to get that down too.

Dextery is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betty74 View Post
    I started this yesterday. I am going to have some labs done on Monday so I can't eat till after. I will be @10 before I get back home so do I just eat the BAB then?

I am having CBC w/auto diff/plts (I had this done last year also), Lipid Panel, Vit. D(had last year), Thyroid Panel (last one was 6 months ago), ferritin, and some fatigue panel. Any other biggies I should do?

I am a 37 year old female. I know my hormones are messed up and thyroid. I am currently working on these through acupuncture, diet, and Standard Process Supplements. DHEA was in range, but low a year ago. I took DHEA for almost a year and my acupuncturist took me off of it. All my labs were within the reference range from the CBC when I did it last year and Vit D was at 60 ng/ml at that time.
    Make sure your lipid panel includes a VAP test or a NMR test...both measure your LDL particle size. You want predominately large bouyant particles that do not harm to the vascular system...as opposed to small dense LDL particles that worm their way into the lining of the vascular system and cause plaque build up.
    Also

high sensitive CRP
    Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio
    Reverse T3, Total T3, Total T4, TSH, Free T 3, Free T4 Be sure you get the rT3 on your thyroid panel
    Testosterone
    Dhea
    Progesterone

Vit D3 at 60ng/ml is lower than the min Dr K wants for his patients...70 to 100ng/ml

Start BAB the next morning. Just eat small lunch and a normal dinner with protein and fat.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by betty74 View Post

It might be good to get a 24 hour diurnal cortisol saliva test (you can get DHEA and progesterone tested at the same time). You don't need a doc for that- Diagnos-Techs makes a good one (Adrenal Stress Index/ASI).
    Saliva is better for testing female hormones. Re: thyroid panel- get antibodies, too. They almost never do those, but they're important to check, as a lot of hypothyroidism is autoimmune and TSH can be all over the place or even in "normal" range while the patient still has tons of symptoms.