Page 102 of 2187 FirstFirst ... 252921001011021031041121522026021102 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 21866

Thread: Leptin Reset Experiment starts today - Jack Kruse style page 102

  1. #1011
    Vkiernan's Avatar
    Vkiernan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    747
    Primal Fuel
    DFH, this ones for you. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what is "your" story and how did you get it solved? I've read a little here and there and it sounds like I am dealing with a lot of the same issues that you have/had. If you don't want to put it out there, no problem. Thanks.

  2. #1012
    Marnee's Avatar
    Marnee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand/ Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    125
    On poor sleep:

    I would try eating all my carbs at night before bed. The Hibernation Diet explains why this is a good idea (but I would eat starch rather than honey or high fructose sugars).

    If the liver runs low on glucose during the night, adrenaline/epinephrine will kick in to increase the release of glucose and fatty acids. Adrenaline is also a stimulant and this will make you wake up, your heart to race, and to make you sweat.


    Epinephrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I suspect the epinephrine effect is also what causes the "high energy" and "euphoria" reported by people who intermittent fast. Couple this with a high stress job and bad sleeping and you have a recipe for disaster. Just sayin.

  3. #1013
    Ummmmya's Avatar
    Ummmmya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnee View Post
    I would try eating all my carbs at night before bed. The Hibernation Diet explains why this is a good idea (but I would eat starch rather than honey or high fructose sugars).

    If the liver runs low on glucose during the night, adrenaline/epinephrine will kick in to increase the release of glucose and fatty acids. Adrenaline is also a stimulant and this will make you wake up, your heart to race, and to make you sweat..
    Ah, fascinating! When I started doing leptin reset 3 weeks ago, after the first week I switched all my carb intake to dinner...used to be eating them mostly at lunchtime. I really only did this to make room for more protein at breakfast & lunch. I sleep like a rock now! I had no idea there was a connection to the carbs at night.
    Last edited by Ummmmya; 07-14-2011 at 11:44 AM.

  4. #1014
    RSL's Avatar
    RSL
    RSL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkiernan View Post
    I have the same question, I wake up with the sun and don't sleep well after that, wake up, go in semi-dreamland, wake up, etc.. If I finally crawl out of bed at 6:30 should I have really gotten up at 5 when I actually woke up?
    I am in bed reading by 9:15 and lights out at 9:45 or 10:00. I usually sleep through the night in a blacked out room, but I wake up at 5:00 to 5:45 every morning, even though it is pitch black in my room. I also want to know if I should try to go back to sleep, or get up. I have been just getting up.
    Rebecca

    Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

    Click the banner below to visit my blog:



    Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

  5. #1015
    DFH's Avatar
    DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,779
    On the sleep issues, I suspect hormones.

    My thyroid hormone doc is a big fan of melatonin, lots of it, but he knows my history too, which includes hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, and insulin resistance. To make it even more fun, I have sleep apnea.

    I know Dr Kruse is not as much of a melatonin fan as I am, and he's the dr. Sleep is so critical to good hormones that maybe doing it temporarily would be worth it.

    The melatonin I use has 5htp and L-Theanine mixed in.

    Anyother thing came up last year when I kept waking up early too, about 4:30 every night. I have been supplementing with injectable testosterone for a couple years, and do HCG twice a week. My doc said that guys also need a certain level of progesterone. He added a 50 mg progesterone capsule (from their dispensary) and I take that at bedtime,making with a big dose of melatonin. It added 2 hrs of sleep right away. Now I have to be careful to not oversleep and I get good rest.

  6. #1016
    DigitalSurgeon's Avatar
    DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkiernan View Post
    Some nights due to my husband coming home late I don't eat until 8 pm and lunch was at noon. It is frustrating cuz now I'm not snacking either. So, If I eat dinner earlier and go to be earlier, I might actually sleep better and longer? That would be great and it might help me get better. I think I have to get window darkening drapes or something too. I close the blinds as tight as possible but when the sun is up, I am up too and can't sleep effectively more no matter what.

    The question we are really trying to answer is: If we are half awake laying in bed, does this count as the 30 minute window for breakfast and should we just get up when we first wake up and eat or can we sleep half-assed and start the 30 minute window when climbing out of bed?
    If you are half awake in bed you need to assess what you did prior to bed that was sub optimal. That is how sleep and leptin are yoked. When you are fully leptin sensitive for three months you get a lot more leeway than when you first begin. You must pay attn to what your doing to understand how your physiology works. If you cut corners your body will let you know. That is the point I am trying to make to you. When you reset leptin if you make a mistake it sets you back a week or two from one mistake. Since I fixed my issues 5 yrs ago I can occassional do things that are not good for leptin without it hurting me but I do it rarely. One thing that I am very sensitive too is drinking wine at night. One glass Ok.......anything elese and my sleep is destroyed. So I dont do it period.

  7. #1017
    DigitalSurgeon's Avatar
    DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnee View Post
    On poor sleep:

    I would try eating all my carbs at night before bed. The Hibernation Diet explains why this is a good idea (but I would eat starch rather than honey or high fructose sugars).

    If the liver runs low on glucose during the night, adrenaline/epinephrine will kick in to increase the release of glucose and fatty acids. Adrenaline is also a stimulant and this will make you wake up, your heart to race, and to make you sweat.


    Epinephrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I suspect the epinephrine effect is also what causes the "high energy" and "euphoria" reported by people who intermittent fast. Couple this with a high stress job and bad sleeping and you have a recipe for disaster. Just sayin.
    This is the last thing I would do.......we are not bears. Bears eat carbs and make themselves type 2 DM to stimulate hibernation........hibernation is not a night of sleep. apples to oranges. But you can always do your own N-1 if inclined. Eating carbs before bed makes zero biologic sense based upon human physiology and hormone control.

  8. #1018
    DigitalSurgeon's Avatar
    DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by RSL View Post
    I am in bed reading by 9:15 and lights out at 9:45 or 10:00. I usually sleep through the night in a blacked out room, but I wake up at 5:00 to 5:45 every morning, even though it is pitch black in my room. I also want to know if I should try to go back to sleep, or get up. I have been just getting up.
    I bet if you were in dark earlier your results would be better. It takes four hours of complete darkness to go from serotonin to melatonin.....then at midnight leptin enters the hypothalamus.......sends a signal to the thyroid (via UCP3) to burn fats at a higher metabolic rate.......why you lose weight when you sleep when LS.....by the way. Then around 1-2 AM you get a prolactin surge during stage one and two sleep that sets the stage for Growth hormone release.......If your LR you never get to GH release so you never are able to recycle your cellular damage via the process of autophagy. This is precisely why those with sleep apnea get right heart failure and higher rates or heart failure and sudden death. Heart fail because of as one ages autophagy decreases in step with the decrease quality of our sleep. This is all controlled by LS..........

  9. #1019
    Shijin13's Avatar
    Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    2,469
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    I bet if you were in dark earlier your results would be better. It takes four hours of complete darkness to go from serotonin to melatonin.....then at midnight leptin enters the hypothalamus.......sends a signal to the thyroid (via UCP3) to burn fats at a higher metabolic rate.......why you lose weight when you sleep when LS.....by the way. Then around 1-2 AM you get a prolactin surge during stage one and two sleep that sets the stage for Growth hormone release.......If your LR you never get to GH release so you never are able to recycle your cellular damage via the process of autophagy. This is precisely why those with sleep apnea get right heart failure and higher rates or heart failure and sudden death. Heart fail because of as one ages autophagy decreases in step with the decrease quality of our sleep. This is all controlled by LS..........
    I always knew prolactin was was highest at night - and I saw the impact when I'd get up at night to exclusively pump at 2 and again at 4am, when my daughter was born, since she was unable to nurse. my 2am, 4am, and 6am pumps produced the majority of the milk for her! And my son - at 15months still nurses at least 3x/btwn midnight and 6am...with a guaranteed wake up btwn 1-3. If I'm even slightly LR - that would explain why I needed Domperidone to maintain my milk supply w/both kids - even though 1 I ep'd for and 1 I nurse exclusively.

    Dr K - you should work with a IBCLC - to write a paper on the impact of Leptin and successful breastfeeding (from the hormonal perspective!) in your *FREE TIME*!

    I've also found I sleep better If I take a *nap* while nursing ds to sleep at 8pm...then get up btwn 9-10, get everything ready for work the next day and go back to sleep....instead of hanging with the tv.

  10. #1020
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    The gut issue and depression is tied to serotonin stores. When you go paleo and do the leptin reset you are immediately changing the serotonin level in your small bowel. Carbs metabolize to serotonin in the small bowel and are sotred there for use later in the brain. The rest of the serotonin is sent to the brain by way of the pineal gland. The rest is stored there. When darkness is preceived by the retina a signal is sent to the pineal to convert the 40% stored serotonin to melatonin. It takes four hours of darkness for this to occur. Hence the reason you need to keep in dark lit conditions as soon as possible when you cant sleep. Its a way to jump start the conversion. Once the conversion occurs the serotonin in th epineal is used and replenished by the gut stores.......so if you are rapidly eliminating carbs.......from the paleo diet and leptin reset you feel the pinch. This is what you all call the paleo flu........you can offset it two ways.......4-6 weeks of 200mgs of 5htp A serotonin precursor.......or replacing the brain signal to the gut to give up more serotonin it does not have......this is done by the incretin neurons. They immediately get turned off by MCT in the proximal small gut. That is how coconut oil works. It has no effect on serotonin stores but makes you feel better.

    I answered this in one of Dr Deans blog comments somewhere out there......also somewhere in PH and I dont remember where.
    Okay I think I am just going to have to give up trying to make sense of this. Ex-biochemist is more appropriate to describe me as I no longer have the head for it. What you wrote bears no resemblance to anything I have ever read about serotonin in the brain and I really don't know what to do with that. How are carbs metabolised to serotonin, isn't it made from tryptophan? And I always thought it didn't cross the blood-brain barrier? Is this new research because I'd be very interested to see some papers or articles about it. How does that fit with Judith Wurtman's work?

    I've never heard anyone say low serotonin is the cause of low carb flu either. I am so confused!

    I did low carb for 9 months and only got more depressed so no sign of being able to adjust to it in term of serotonin. I wasn't depressed during low carb flu in the first few weeks, just fatigued, and that passed quickly and I felt good for some time until the gradual creep of low mood. Aren't the people here who've found they feel better with more carb generally people who have tried low carb for a lot longer than a few weeks? I don't think people here would suggest upping carbs to someone dealing with carb flu in the early weeks. I'm obviously not understanding.

    I am allergic to coconut, of course. I don't have sleep issues, so that's something.
    Last edited by Horsewoman; 07-14-2011 at 12:53 PM.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •